Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the rock climbing gym today (N95 + safety glasses, 6.5 days out from second Pfizer, so not fully vaccinated, but oh, so close), ...
To be honest, I was pretty surprised based on your knowledge and post that you are within 3 weeks of 95% efficacy and you are deciding it is close enough ("so close"). We get our second dose in 8 days. I was glad to read this tho "200 cases daily in San Diego" as one of your factors. Certainly not the same in Chicagoland!

To be honest, I was pretty surprised based on your knowledge and post that you are within 3 weeks of 95% efficacy and you are deciding it is close enough ("so close"). We get our second dose in 8 days. I was glad to read this tho "200 cases daily in San Diego" as one of your factors. Certainly not the same in Chicagoland!

Yeah, tough call, tbh. To be clear on the timing - I had my second Pfizer shot one week ago (I'm not 6.5 days until the second shot - my phrasing was misleading/unclear I noticed afterwards). Away next week, so didn't want to wait two additional weeks, and the 25% capacity, universal mask use, my high efficacy N95 mask, very high volume ventilated building (front door wide open), screening questions, etc., and substantial efficacy of my existing vaccination in combination with fairly low case rates made me feel like it was a low risk (not zero risk, but I'm not concerned about getting seriously ill at this point).

Hopefully I won't regret it.

Last edited:

An analysis of the India situation. It seems like the deaths are highly undercounted, so they may be at a level of (per-capita) mortality similar to the peak of the US winter wave (17000 deaths a day possible in India).

Seems very bad and I wonder when it will turn around.
One of my wife's partners just returned from a week in India. Don't know if it is bad all over but he told her a Delhi Hospital has 2 people in a bed.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yeah, tough call, tbh. To be clear on the timing - I had my second Pfizer shot one week ago (I'm not 6.5 days until the second shot - my phrasing was misleading/unclear I noticed afterwards). Away next week, so didn't want to wait two additional weeks, and the 25% capacity, universal mask use, my high efficacy N95 mask, very high volume ventilated building (front door wide open), screening questions, etc., and substantial efficacy of my existing vaccination in combination with fairly low case rates made me feel like it was a low risk (not zero risk, but I'm not concerned about getting seriously ill at this point).

First climb in 13 months? Oh, you will regret it. ;)

Perhaps almost as much as your neighbors regretted the beer, beans and cheese. . .

• Funny
Second Moderna shot today, arm soreness started a few hours after the shot where after the first shot it wasn't until the next day. Pharmacist said to try and use the arm so I'm doing some high rep curls and shoulder presses.
My second Moderna shot, in the other arm, was a bit more sore than the first one but not enough to limit mobility.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
The shots suck a lot less than the real thing. I know, I've tried both.

In addition to the general suckage of having COVID-19 (even without breathing difficulty), it was particularly disturbing to lose all sense of smell and taste for multiple days.

Mildly off-topic, but have you guys/gals seen the youtube videos of people with COVID eating practically anything (edible) since they cannot taste or smell anything? Some are just downright impressive.

1619049633263.png

Last edited:

TrumpBert probably wished he had thought of this...

Hm...

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with a SARS-CoV-2 R.1 Lineage...

"What is added by this report?
In a COVID-19 outbreak at a Kentucky SNF involving a newly introduced variant to the region, unvaccinated residents and health care personnel (HCP) had 3.0 and 4.1 times the risk of infection as did vaccinated residents and HCP. Vaccine was 86.5% protective against symptomatic illness among residents and 87.1% protective among HCP.
Three residents died, two of whom were unvaccinated (VE = 94.4%; 95% CI = 44.6%–99.4%).

Four possible reinfections were identified (one resident and three HCP); of these, one HCP was vaccinated. All four persons experienced symptomatic illness. One resident was infected 300 days earlier and had nine consecutive negative RT-PCR tests before reinfection, including two within 30 days of the outbreak. This resident was hospitalized and died."
-----------------------------
Being vaccinated won't be not enough, we need herd immunity.

• Informative
Reactions: Young and JRP3
COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with a SARS-CoV-2 R.1 Lineage...

"What is added by this report?
In a COVID-19 outbreak at a Kentucky SNF involving a newly introduced variant to the region, unvaccinated residents and health care personnel (HCP) had 3.0 and 4.1 times the risk of infection as did vaccinated residents and HCP. Vaccine was 86.5% protective against symptomatic illness among residents and 87.1% protective among HCP.
Three residents died, two of whom were unvaccinated (VE = 94.4%; 95% CI = 44.6%–99.4%).

Four possible reinfections were identified (one resident and three HCP); of these, one HCP was vaccinated. All four persons experienced symptomatic illness. One resident was infected 300 days earlier and had nine consecutive negative RT-PCR tests before reinfection, including two within 30 days of the outbreak. This resident was hospitalized and died."
-----------------------------
Being vaccinated won't be not enough, we need herd immunity.

I still like my chances with vaccination, though! They sound really extremely good. In this sort of highly vulnerable community it is nothing short of amazing.

Yes; seems like spectacular results from vaccination; just need more of them!

Note this R.1 has the E484K mutation associated with immune escape, and it still got completely crushed by vaccination. This is also good news (though not definitive by any means).

Last edited:

Ever since the pandemic began, I think those screening questions were the most useless thing. How many in their sane mind is going to take their time to go somewhere and honestly respond to a question knowing that a particular answer will deny their entry. Seems so unnecessary.

Related to this, UFC is on track to have a full indoor fan capacity of 15,000+ with no masks and no proof of any testing/vaccination requirements this Saturday, April 24. The only thing they require is for attendees to answer a few health questions prior to showing up. Anyone want to guess how many will be denied based on simple questions? Especially with a crowd going to watch UFC.

On another note, some states have now tied their reopening to % population vaccinated rather than cases per capita metrics. For example, Kentucky is saying they will open up everything once 2.5 million people are vaccinated. With a total population of 4.5 million, can they reach that goal? About 1.5 million are vaccinated so far, and so they need ~1 million more. I hope they make it, but being the state they are, I don’t know. That translates to 55% of the population needing to get it

Ever since the pandemic began, I think those screening questions were the most useless thing. How many in their sane mind is going to take their time to go somewhere and honestly respond to a question knowing that a particular answer will deny their entry. Seems so unnecessary.
I believe the questions are there mainly to remind people of how they are supposed to act.

I have to disagree somewhat. These aren’t “Will you...” questions. These are usually asking whether one has tested positive recently or have symptoms related to COVID, etc.
How many in their sane mind is going to take their time to go somewhere and honestly respond to a question knowing that a particular answer will deny their entry.

They also ask if you have been in contact with anyone who has had COVID. I’m not interested in everyone answering truthfully. I’m interested in half of the people (or whatever) behaving appropriately (and going through the process of actually answering such questions, which requires some thought). Now that I am (partially but nearly fully) vaccinated, that’s probably good enough for me. It’s all about reduction of risk, not elimination. The threshold of efficacy needed for such interventions was much different when we had no vaccinations to rely upon.

The gym was taking the precautions seriously, from everything I could see.

I’m not worried, and they require I consent to contact tracing should anyone test positive. Since it is by reservation, they will know who was in the gym when.

Looking forward to the Exposure Notifications triggering on my phone, now that I am going nuts with the exposures, lol.

About 1.5 million are vaccinated so far, and so they need ~1 million more. I hope they make it, but being the state they are, I don’t know. That translates to 55% of the population needing to get it
Seems like it should not be a problem. They may need to try, though.

This 2 of 3 rule would have been good to keep in mind before vaccination. Now in fully vaccinated groups (everyone!), I plan to go 0 for 3, unless I can hit 1 for 3 easily with no hassle. COVID is over (under those specific conditions). When I go back to the office I’m probably going to go with a mask since I don’t trust those filthy engineers (and I can’t ask everyone their vaccine status - and some people are completely nuts).

I plan to continue to do this, unless the picture on variants becomes more clear and suggests vaccines are not effective enough AND those variants are common.

Last edited: