Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The media coverage I saw about this, including this report, ignored the fact that the J&J issue is very likely the same as the AstraZenica clotting issue and those cases included a significant number of men although overall there seems to be a greater risk to women.

This is a screenshot taken from the UCSF video I posted yesterday.

View attachment 657465

Not all media is ignoring the link between J&J and AZ. Maybe because it’s pretty well known to many by now that the two vaccines were developed similarly.

It’s news because this is the first documented case in a male patient with the J&J vaccine in the US.

Just to update the numbers, there have been at least 13 documented cases in women with J&J as of last week in the US.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
Santa Clara County, the heart of Silicon Vally, currently has 37% of residents fully vaccinated. Now, they have walk-in vaccinations available at any time without appointments.

To give you an idea of demand, there were only 260 appointments scheduled for 3,200 available spots for today.

Added: I just checked Contra Costa County. All the county operated sites have every time slot available through the end of the week (appointments are opened one week at time). Stanford also sent out email saying that they are now doing walk-in vaccinations. We should be thinking about where to send the surplus. It doesn’t make sense to continue having this much supply go unused everyday.

Last edited:
What do people hypothesize may be the reason for the higher number of COVID deaths in young children in Brazil? Variants? Predisposition to something?
There are over 1,300 deaths among under 10 years old (and some believe the tally to be over 2,000 based on excess numbers). Compare that to just 190 deaths among under 15 years old in the US.

What do people hypothesize may be the reason for the higher number of COVID deaths in young children in Brazil? Variants? Predisposition to something?
There are over 1,300 deaths among under 10 years old (and some believe the tally to be over 2,000 based on excess numbers). Compare that to just 190 deaths among under 15 years old in the US.

Most likely new variants. That's why it's so critical to accelerate vaccinations. Every time the virus replicates is another roll of the dice...

Compare that to just 190 deaths among under 15 years old in the US.

Source? CDC says 128 deaths clearly documented below age 5, with a total of 443 below age 18. These are most likely undercounts.

Exactly what is the undercount in the US I'm not sure (excess death numbers below age 15 actually went DOWN in the US, 5 per 100k, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that COVID was being properly listed as cause of death in all cases, and it was probably still undercounted but wouldn't expect more of an undercount than Brazil). I imagine US healthcare helps to some extent - it seems that a lot of very young children have died in Brazil - after weeks of illness, so access to care could be a major issue in Brazil driving mortality. Variants probably a factor too.

If you account for attack rate in children (CDC) of 4% in the US (more likely closer to 12-15%) for children under 18 (3 million cases, 72 million children), it seems reasonable that if Brazil has a higher attack rate in their children, that could be part of the reason, too. I don't know whether or not they do, but it's something to look at - if they kept schools open, for example, with minimal precautions, the attack rate is probably higher in Brazil. Can't find any data.

Welcome to 'merca....

Oh dear God in heaven... all the times I’ve said ‘You wear a mask in a global pandemic for the same reason you drive on the right side of the road, to choose civility and civilization over chaos and destruction” and now I know why that argument doesn’t fly... We. Are. Doomed.
And KY? Of course that makes sense considering... oh wait, can’t get political...

Oh dear God in heaven... all the times I’ve said ‘You wear a mask in a global pandemic for the same reason you drive on the right side of the road, to choose civility and civilization over chaos and destruction” and now I know why that argument doesn’t fly... We. Are. Doomed.
And KY? Of course that makes sense considering... oh wait, can’t get political...

Then there's the private school banning vaccinated teachers because the vaccine somehow changes the menstrual cycles of non-vaccinated women. The school is in Florida because of course it's in Florida...

• Funny
Reactions: CatB
Santa Clara County, the heart of Silicon Vally, currently has 37% of residents fully vaccinated. Now, they have walk-in vaccinations available at any time without appointments.

To give you an idea of demand, there were only 260 appointments scheduled for 3,200 available spots for today.
Thanks. The walk-ins available were reported today at Multiple Santa Clara County Vaccination Sites Accepting Drop-Ins This Week and confirmed at COVID-19 Vaccine Information - Emergency Operations Center - County of Santa Clara.

Added: I just checked Contra Costa County. All the county operated sites have every time slot available through the end of the week (appointments are opened one week at time). Stanford also sent out email saying that they are now doing walk-in vaccinations. We should be thinking about where to send the surplus. It doesn’t make sense to continue having this much supply go unused everyday.
The rest are going to Mars. :)

There was a big surge in vaccinations when the eligibility expanded in early April. Right now there's a lull, but starting next week there'll be another uptick from 2nd doses. About 2/3 of 16+ residents in Santa Clara County have gotten at least 1 dose already. I think this county's adults will easily be 80% vaccinated by early June.

Santa Clara County ain't exactly a hotbed of anti-vaxxers.

Kid is doing online school now so is at minimal risk. Will be getting vaccinated when school lets out so minimizing side effect affecting school grades. Also, some schools are mandating vaccination starting this Fall. We should see another bump of vaccination in the summer.

Last edited: