Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 743F4611-AF50-4B3B-BF87-B8879E3BAC50.jpeg
    743F4611-AF50-4B3B-BF87-B8879E3BAC50.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 417CF153-E117-4DF0-8345-DB989F4D2B79.jpeg
    417CF153-E117-4DF0-8345-DB989F4D2B79.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29
What I've read is that the 3 to 4 week interval between shots isn't actually the optimal for the maximum protection. It was picked because it was the shortest interval that gave a really high level of protection, in order to get the studies completed and shots in arms as quickly as possible. The actual, optimal interval is an unknown right now, but more likely to be several months rather than 3 weeks.

What I've read is that the 3 to 4 week interval between shots isn't actually the optimal for the maximum protection. It was picked because it was the shortest interval that gave a really high level of protection, in order to get the studies completed and shots in arms as quickly as possible. The actual, optimal interval is an unknown right now, but more likely to be several months rather than 3 weeks.

I continued on high caution for another 4 weeks after the 2nd shot.

Even now, I know it's not an ALL CLEAR, and am still taking some precautions. I used the self check-out at Sams without waiting for the official wipe-down, which I felt was minimal risk.

Almost every state seems to be improving including Michigan but now Oregon and Washington are seeing a surge.

Better act quick California - we need to lock down the northern border ASAP!

Seriously though - is the vaccination rate in Oregon / Washington lower than California? Anecdotally, I think everyone that I know that is eligible has received at least their first shot with quite a few being fully vaccinated for a while now...

Edit: According to official data, it looks like Oregon has about 40% of people with at least a single dose and 27% fully vaccinated, while California has 60% with a single dose and 40% fully vaccinated. So yeah, California is doing significantly better than Orgon.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N and madodel

Seriously though - is the vaccination rate in Oregon / Washington lower than California? Anecdotally, I think everyone that I know that is eligible has received at least their first shot with quite a few being fully vaccinated for a while now...

Edit: According to official data, it looks like Oregon has about 40% of people with at least a single dose and 27% fully vaccinated, while California has 60% with a single dose and 40% fully vaccinated. So yeah, California is doing significantly better than Orgon.
Comparing apples and oranges. California is ahead of Oregon, for sure, but not by nearly that much. The California numbers you quote are among adults, while the Oregon numbers are among the total population. COVID Data Tracker

"Nudged" a co-worker to get the vax for him, his mom and his sister.

They were on the fence and the J&J news scared them. But since I had no side effects (except sore arm) from Pfizer 1 and 2, it eased his mind and he also signed up for Pfizer and they all got dose 1 yesterday.

My other co-worker is kind of anti-medicine (and of course he caught Covid earlier this year) and refuses to get vaccinated. He thinks that his bout with C19 gives him immunity and I tried to explain that it's unknown how long and how strong that immunity is but humans are humans.

For those of us who are on the vax side of this, it helps to talk to people you know about getting vaccinated because sometimes they feel better when they hear it from a friend.

Edit: According to official data, it looks like Oregon has about 40% of people with at least a single dose and 27% fully vaccinated, while California has 60% with a single dose and 40% fully vaccinated. So yeah, California is doing significantly better

As pointed out it is ~49%/30% CA vs. ~44/30% OR.

However, Oregon has been pretty backwards about their vaccination strategy - though perhaps they have done better getting to vulnerable and higher exposure populations. Took forever to get my parents a vaccine though (not until March).

The most important thing acting against Oregon, and likely more significant, is that they have had very limited COVID, so immunity in the population is extremely low relative to California. Using a 3x multiplier, it’s ~13% in Oregon and ~28% in California. A huge difference and likely a big factor in the dynamics. (Requires Oregon to keep R0 below 1.75 vs. California at 2.4, to keep R below 1, if you count only fully vaccinated as immune and assume no overlap. Obviously some problems with that back of the envelope assumption, but if you run any numbers, it is getting close to unrealistic R0 for sustained spread in CA assuming effective vaccines, but much less so in Oregon - having nearly 50% more people vulnerable really matters for R0 values.)

Oregon’s case levels also remain quite low in absolute terms. (800 per day, 4.2 million population, and not yet to their prior low peak.) Hopefully the vaccinations continue and will be just in time.

Last edited:
He thinks that his bout with C19 gives him immunity and I tried to explain that it's unknown how long and how strong that immunity is
Have him read the literature on B.1.531 and P.1, I guess. He should at least get one shot!

I wonder what proportion of the 8% mentioned above who did not return for their second shot knew via PCR that they had had previously been infected, and are just “following the science” by not getting their second shot (seems to be a quite sound strategy at this point). Saving doses! :)

Interesting. Sounds like Cali is doing better than most states, except for some of the small states with small populations. Yet they are going to recall Newsome.

Interesting. Sounds like Cali is doing better than most states, except for some of the small states with small populations. Yet they are going to recall Newsome.
The recall effort is political theater by an otherwise shriveled-up husk of a Republican Party when it comes to statewide elections. Newsome
is unlikely to be actually booted from office.

He thinks that his bout with C19 gives him immunity

and are just “following the science” by not getting their second shot
Maybe you could try the approach of: “You will have super-natural protection from COVID.”

The immune response to vaccination is so much more orderly than a natural immune response. Nice to top off a primed immune system (via natural infection) with a nice solid vaccine. Why bother getting infected twice?

Vegas has lots of openings daily. Wonder if you can use your HSA for a trip to Vegas to get vaccinated. LOL
Had my second dose of Moderna yesterday and the event was supposed to be just 2nd doses but because they had so few people show up for the first dose 4 weeks ago they opened it to everyone. It was steady with a small line. There were no appointments. Just first come first serve.

I feel achy all over so I suppose the 2nd dose is doing its thing.

Had my second dose of Moderna yesterday and the event was supposed to be just 2nd doses but because they had so few people show up for the first dose 4 weeks ago they opened it to everyone. It was steady with a small line. There were no appointments. Just first come first serve.

I feel achy all over so I suppose the 2nd dose is doing its thing.

2nd shot got me staying in bed for a day and a half.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I really think it is the AZ and J&J clots. People don't understand statistics or medical research. We'll see if reading about the breakdown in India motivates people to get vaxxed.
Indeed.

Republicans remain the group most likely to say that they will not try to get a vaccine. Almost half of Republicans, 44%, feel that way, compared with 28% of independents and 8% of Democrats. Within Republicans, resistance to vaccines is concentrated among the young. Among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents ages 50 and older, 66% have gotten a vaccine or are willing to get one, but among those younger than 50, 57% say they will not get a vaccine. There is also an education divide that cuts across party lines. Among those who have a four-year college degree, 18% say they will not seek out a vaccine, compared with 31% among those who do not have a college degree.

Perhaps surprisingly, the group that is unwilling to get a vaccine is the most comfortable with the idea of returning to their regular routine. Overall, 63% of all adults say they are comfortable returning to their routine today and another 4% say they already have. Among those who are not vaccinated and do not plan to get one, 87% say they’re comfortable or have already returned to their routines, compared with 63% among those who haven’t gotten vaccinated but plan to, and 58% among those who have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

That suggests those unwilling to be vaccinated do not see inoculation as necessary for them to return to life as it was pre-pandemic.
The part I bolded and italicized is disturbing.

I wish CNN had put up clips where they talked to some Republicans/Trump supporters who were unwilling to get vaccinated. One of them, of course blew it off saying he got COVID and was sick for "5 hours", so to him, it's not a big deal. The reporter tried to sell some of them on it being Trump's vaccines. Didn't help. The folks cited free-dumb.

Last edited:
The recall effort is political theater by an otherwise shriveled-up husk of a Republican Party when it comes to statewide elections. Newsome
is unlikely to be actually booted from office.
I agree that it's unlikely Newsom will be recalled and replaced. If things were going to hell in CA and there was a viable replacement, ok, then the chances of a recall are higher.