Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's surely helping but I want to see this graph after school starts up in the fall. If we have these 4 humps and then a flat line for the summer and fall of 2021 or even a tiny hump in fall that would be a victory for sure.
Well, hopefully with 12yo+ now eligible to get vaccinated and with a big head start going into the fall, we won't see much of an increase at all in the fall.

Hoping to have my family fully vaccinated within two months.

An anti-vax conspiracy theory is apparently making anti-maskers consider masking up, social distancing

"The conspiracy theory claims, falsely, that vaccinated people "shed" certain proteins that can infect unvaccinated people and cause some sort of harm, usually tied to reproduction.
For those who do believe that vaccinated people can somehow infect them with vaccine proteins — one private school in Miami barred vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students — some "anti-vax influencers" are suggesting they protect themselves by "social distancing, the very strategy the have long decried," Vice reports. Others "conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation."

Several people who study the anti-vax and anti-mask movements said they are skeptical mask-wearing will take hold in those communities."

-----------

Whatever works...at least in this case.

An anti-vax conspiracy theory is apparently making anti-maskers consider masking up, social distancing

"The conspiracy theory claims, falsely, that vaccinated people "shed" certain proteins that can infect unvaccinated people and cause some sort of harm, usually tied to reproduction.
For those who do believe that vaccinated people can somehow infect them with vaccine proteins — one private school in Miami barred vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students — some "anti-vax influencers" are suggesting they protect themselves by "social distancing, the very strategy the have long decried," Vice reports. Others "conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation."

Several people who study the anti-vax and anti-mask movements said they are skeptical mask-wearing will take hold in those communities."

-----------

Whatever works...at least in this case.

Good, I am going to wear a "I'm Vaccinated" T-Shirt so I don't have to Manspread on the subway. LOL

Look, it is not “just the (worst) flu” (even for children).

Note Swine Flu of 2009 was particularly virulent for children - and likely had much higher attack rate than COVID currently has in children. (So COVID looks better than it should if you’re comparing apples to apples.)

Also note that 39% of hospitalized children had NO underlying condition, and only ~30% were obese (>95th percentile).

Glad children can get vaccinated - they need it.

848C8F32-536D-4829-AA32-958AF7B7752A.jpeg

C45B90F6-3118-47DA-BA38-563DAFBFA8C1.jpeg

Are ‘covid nails’ a sign you had the virus? Experts weigh in.

Of the nail symptoms detailed in the registry, the most commonly reported phenomenon is Beau’s lines, or the horizontal grooves that have been associated with “covid nails,” said Freeman, who suggested a more precise name would be “post-covid nails.” The grooves often appear across all fingernails and occasionally on toenails.
Though experts said other things can cause this as well. And not everyone with COVID sees this.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Reactions: uujjj2 and cwerdna
FYI, it looks like LapCorp has 1 of their 4 test specific to testing for antibodies induced by the vaccines. My wife has an autoimmune disease (suppression drugs taken) so she will get a test probably at 3 wks (or 4 wks?) following her 2nd Moderna shot which is next Thur.

A)
SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quantitative Total Antibody, Spike
TEST: 164090 Test number copied CPT: 86769

Use Evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 Quantitative Total Antibody.
_ Serologic assays can play an important role in understanding viral epidemiology in the general population and identifying groups at higher risk of infection. This assay uses a recombinant protein representing the RBD of the S antigen for the quantitative determination of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. Quantification of the antibody response can help to determine the specific antibody titer and aid in longitudinal monitoring of the dynamics of the antibody response in individual patients.
_ This test may detect antibodies induced by currently available SARS-CoV-2 vaccines. This test does not result in the endpoint titer of the antibody.
which is the first one listed here:
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Antibody Test for Providers | Labcorp

Labcorp Test Number​

• 1) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quantitative Total Antibody 164090
    • Values generated with this assay cannot be used to determine whether or not an individual has developed protective immunity against infection and cannot be directly compared to other assays until a universal standard is established for assay calibration.
  • 2) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies, Nucleocapsid 164068
    • This assay will not detect antibodies elicited by currently available SARS-CoV-2 vaccines.
  • 3) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG, Spike 164055
  • 4) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgM, Spike 164034

B)
Here is the Quest Diagnostics test that indicates that it is a 'spike protein test'. It is not as explicit as the LabCorp one tho.
Questdirect

New CDC Guidelines out on masks... not required in/outdoors if vaccinated.
If fully vaccinated. I agree that this is probably safe given current overall vaccination levels and rate of spread.

Still - I worry that this type of recommendation will give anti-vaxers the greenlight to just stop wearing masks everywhere, despite their vaccination status.

The guidance is going to cause a lot of confusion for people in the short/medium term.

FYI, it looks like LapCorp has 1 of their 4 test specific to testing for antibodies induced by the vaccines. My wife has an autoimmune disease (suppression drugs taken) so she will get a test probably at 3 wks (or 4 wks?) following her 2nd Moderna shot which is next Thur.

A)

which is the first one listed here:
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Antibody Test for Providers | Labcorp

Labcorp Test Number​

• 1) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quantitative Total Antibody 164090
    • Values generated with this assay cannot be used to determine whether or not an individual has developed protective immunity against infection and cannot be directly compared to other assays until a universal standard is established for assay calibration.
  • 2) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies, Nucleocapsid 164068
    • This assay will not detect antibodies elicited by currently available SARS-CoV-2 vaccines.
  • 3) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG, Spike 164055
  • 4) Physicians can order SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgM, Spike 164034

B)
Here is the Quest Diagnostics test that indicates that it is a 'spike protein test'. It is not as explicit as the LabCorp one tho.
Questdirect

So the concern is that the vaccine might not have any affect for her due to the suppression drugs?

Take the test to see if antibodies are there (pass / fail) to know if she can let her guard down some or just so she has piece of mind?

If fully vaccinated. I agree that this is probably safe given current overall vaccination levels and rate of spread.

Still - I worry that this type of recommendation will give anti-vaxers the greenlight to just stop wearing masks everywhere, despite their vaccination status.

The guidance is going to cause a lot of confusion for people in the short/medium term.

It's probably going to be fine. At this point most places will be just fine even if everyone stops wearing masks, is my guess. Definitely would result in additional cases and deaths, but I'm increasingly optimistic that we will remain on terminal decline towards the baseline background case level (maybe 5k per day - we'll see!).

Just need to continue to find ways to encourage and enable people to get vaccinated (access is still a huge issue - not everyone who wants to get vaccinated has yet had an easy enough opportunity to do so). For a FEW unvaccinated people, not having to wear a mask is also an incentive (though obviously most of them are just misanthropes or completely misinformed to the point of mule-like obstinacy).

So the concern is that the vaccine might not have any affect for her due to the suppression drugs?

Take the test to see if antibodies are there (pass / fail) to know if she can let her guard down some or just so she has piece of mind?

Correct due to drugs that suppress parts of her immune system. This was true for a friend of ours with the same autoimmune disease but takes stronger doses and mix of additional drugs.

It seems that both the LC and QD test provide a positive/negative result as well as a reference number which we thought could be compared to a future test taken but not to others.

QuestDiag: "This semiquantitative COVID-19 Antibody Test provides a positive or negative result and a numerical value that can show your immune response over time if you use the same test [1]."

Below via
sample report: https://files.labcorp.com/testmenu-d8/sample_reports/164090.pdf from
this page: 164090: SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quantitative Total Antibody, Spike | Labcorp
Pdwftir.jpg

UPDATE: This is from the QD page:
And it is similar language to the LC page "may detect induced by... vaccines": 164090: SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quantitative Total Antibody, Spike | Labcorp.
JVS4dV7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like after a brief breather for the J&J pause, we are on target for 78% vaccination coverage eventually! Plumbing the all-time lows for "NO" again. (Not sure what sort of population sample they're really getting in this poll - of course this could be a slight overestimate.)

At that point, I should think for a great number of the "NOs", they're going to start to feel pretty silly. Peer pressure is so difficult to resist. I figure we'll pick up another couple % from peer pressure and people reconsidering their life choices, and get just a smidge over 80% (this is among adults only). Always be vaccinating!!! ABV.

What I do like to see is that it looks like there's another 10-12% out there for certain to be vaccinated, and that should be sufficient for very strong control in most areas (undervaccinated communities are going to have problems).

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 2.26.41 PM.png

Under 100 cases reported yesterday in San Diego County (94) for the first time in a very long time (1% positive). Took a little longer than most of the rest of the state here, probably because we're slightly less hard hit, but it does seem likely we're now also on terminal decline. Just need to keep vaccinating.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 2.35.05 PM.png

Magically everyone you meet will now be vaccinated.
Keep in mind plenty of private businesses will keep mask mandates in place until cases drop to much lower levels (since that's what makes sense for business where masking is not a big deal). So there's going to be incentive for people to fake it, but the incentives won't apply everywhere. Obviously for kids and such the risk gets a bit higher if they're in locations with a bunch of unmasked people, and businesses will be cognizant of the basic facts and act accordingly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

It already has caused some confusion.
The guidance says mask are not required both indoors and outdoors, as well as in small or large gatherings.

However, the CDC still recommends masks when traveling in public, whether that’s by plane, bus, or train.

So….what exactly are they trying to say?

It already has caused some confusion.
The guidance says mask are not required both indoors and outdoors, as well as in small or large gatherings.
However, the CDC still recommends masks when traveling in public, whether that’s by plane, bus, or train.
So….what exactly are they trying to say?
In case you are still confused... here is a handy infographic from the CDC.
Masks are required at Airports, Hospitals, Prisons and Homeless shelters.

1620965702715.png

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNow and scottf200

not sure about the confusion... pretty straightforward guidance;

vaccinated = no mask 😉

not vaccinated = wear mask 😷