Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems another 'Yay' for booster shots.
Can’t hurt - as long as it doesn’t distract from or impede vaccination efforts.
We’ll find out later how much it helped. But definitely it should help a bit.

The only case I have some distant personal connection to is going to try to come off the vent soon. She's in her late 30s, was the church type, couldn't be bothered to get the vaccine, been on the vent for about 10 days, after an initial 2-week decline. Couple of kids. Guess she'll have a tracheotomy to help with the breathing as they wean her off. Fun!

Last edited:
Spoke to my ICU nurse friend last night. In their hospital they have 30+ COVID patients waiting in ER for an ICU bed. Some have been waiting days. They are short nurses. All the nurses they do have are looking after 3 or 4 COVID patients each in the ICU. They don’t even have time to eat or go to the bathroom.

The demographic currently is unvaccinated, predominantly Hispanic, under 40, more men than women but the women are all pregnant and they’re all dying. My friend said 4 died yesterday and they are expecting at least 2 of their own current patients to die today.

Spoke to my ICU nurse friend last night. In their hospital they have 30+ COVID patients waiting in ER for an ICU bed. Some have been waiting days. They are short nurses. All the nurses they do have are looking after 3 or 4 COVID patients each in the ICU. They don’t even have time to eat or go to the bathroom.

The demographic currently is unvaccinated, predominantly Hispanic, under 40, more men than women but the women are all pregnant and they’re all dying. My friend said 4 died yesterday and they are expecting at least 2 of their own current patients to die today.
That's so sad to hear especially since had they been vaccinated they would not have gotten that sick. Is this in California?

Sorry to hear this news... what hospital location does the ICU nurse work?

That's so sad to hear especially since had they been vaccinated they would not have gotten that sick. Is this in California?
No. OK

It is sad. Apparently they’re throwing everything at them, nothing is working. It’s become a situation of either you just get better (by the grace of God/good genetics/luck/whathaveyou) or you don’t. Right now, you don’t.

Great (for him) that he was being tested daily for COVID! It's almost like he takes COVID (personally) seriously and the rest of this nonsense is for show (and unfortunately costs lives). On the other hand, he was doing large unmasked indoor events so clearly he has no clue (though of course you have to keep up the show). Anyway, get some quick Regeneron (when it is most effective), and knock it out. It's good to be Governor I guess.
We were doomed the minute Trump decided to make this a political issue and part of culture war.

Politics (and it seems large business) always ends up killing a lot of people - one way or another. Thats why so many politicians & CEOs are psychopaths.

We were doomed the minute Trump decided to make this a political issue and part of culture war.

Politics (and it seems large business) always ends up killing a lot of people - one way or another. Thats why so many politicians & CEOs are psychopaths.

VERY naïve statement. The antivaxer movement is one that long pre-dates anything Trump-related. You want to associate it with the political right, but as a physician I can tell you for fact that these people move from political affiliation to political affiliation with the one goal of promoting their agenda. Before the Trump administration, the antivax movement was FIRMLY entrenched on the far left. They didn't make progress there, so they moved quietly and quickly to the right, which has more of a "libertarian" base.

No. OK

It is sad. Apparently they’re throwing everything at them, nothing is working. It’s become a situation of either you just get better (by the grace of God/good genetics/luck/whathaveyou) or you don’t. Right now, you don’t.
Yes - Delta is really bad. Healthy young / middle aged person can be dead in a week. Not even the anti-body cocktail that saved people like Trump and Giuliani (with the original variant) works.

VERY naïve statement. The antivaxer movement is one that long pre-dates anything Trump-related. You want to associate it with the political right, but as a physician I can tell you for fact that these people move from political affiliation to political affiliation with the one goal of promoting their agenda. Before the Trump administration, the antivax movement was FIRMLY entrenched on the far left. They didn't make progress there, so they moved quietly and quickly to the right, which has more of a "libertarian" base.
There was no particular reason Trump had to make wearing masks a political issue / culture war. Infact, this may have cost him the '20 election.

Modi - more right wing than Trump - never made that an issue and always promoted mask wearing. Even though, just like with Trump - anti-science people gravitate to right wing parties all over the world.

Anti-vaxxer stuff is everywhere - because people have forgotten how bad it is to lose kids to preventable diseases. Mistrust of government and authorities is rampant (and for good reason too).

True but it was a smaller fringe group. Trump opened up the insanity to the right who jumped on board and took it to new levels.

I was not a fringe group. As a practicing doctor I dealt with this group DAILY. They are more vocal now, and have gotten a larger audience, but they were FAR from fringe even 10 years ago.

The numbers between the left and right not willing to take the vaccine are undeniable. A Dr. practicing in CA is probably going to be exposed to more left wing fringers than average.

I was not a fringe group. As a practicing doctor I dealt with this group DAILY. They are more vocal now, and have gotten a larger audience, but they were FAR from fringe even 10 years ago.
If fringe means “inconsequential in number” that’s fair.
if it means “on the edge of reason where the threads of logic fail to make a fabric” I think the image of wild hair ideas flapping in the wind works for me.

But verbal preferences aside, having had so much interaction with anti-vax opinions, any ideas on how to help them see reason?

If fringe means “inconsequential in number” that’s fair.
if it means “on the edge of reason where the threads of logic fail to make a fabric” I think the image of wild hair ideas flapping in the wind works for me.

But verbal preferences aside, having had so much interaction with anti-vax opinions, any ideas on how to help them see reason?

You cannot "mass message" these people. The only way, and I mean ONLY way I have ever had success was to talk to them, one on one, RESPECTFULLY, and ask them to vocalize their concerns. Some simply didn't think kids getting 6-8 vaccines at a time was healthy. I can appreciate that and would work with patients to get "alternative vaccine schedules" so that the kids were fully vaccinated, but not getting so many shots at one time. Some had serious concerns about autism, you present the data to them, talk to them, and acknowledge that ultimately the decision is theirs to make, but that based upon your experience, education, etc. that you advise for vaccines X, Y, and Z and that you have seen the diseases that they cause and that the side effects are very minor compared to coming down with say measles encephalitis.

The moment you try to force something on these people, act dismissive or disrespectful, or act like you don't have time for them, you FULLY validate their pre-conceived notions and do nothing but reinforce their desires to not become vaccinated.