Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told him that stuff basically. He just doesn't believe it. People have watched enough movies where everything is possible that it's gotten into their heads that if you can imagine it, it will be possible some day, and maybe the government has it now. He's a Trumper, BTW.
The scary thing is that many of the paranoid technology conspiracy theories from decades ago are now much more plausible with advances in electronics. Presumably this trend will continue. At some point, pretty much any paranoid notions that people can dream up may actually be plausible!

The scary thing is that many of the paranoid technology conspiracy theories from decades ago are now much more plausible with advances in electronics. Presumably this trend will continue. At some point, pretty much any paranoid notions that people can dream up may actually be plausible!

I cannot think of any. And the really big flaw with all conspiracy theories is that they assume that thousands of people can keep a secret. There are real conspiracies all the time. They usually get busted within a year or two. But I don't know of any technology conspiracy theories that are even remotely plausible.

I cannot think of any. And the really big flaw with all conspiracy theories is that they assume that thousands of people can keep a secret. There are real conspiracies all the time. They usually get busted within a year or two. But I don't know of any technology conspiracy theories that are even remotely plausible.
Right. One person can possibly keep a secret. For two people to keep a secret the odds go down dramatically. Conspiracy hypothesis have the same validity as the "we faked the moon landings". The tens of thousands of people that were involved plus all the eyewitnesses of the launches would all have to conspire. It's just isn't even remotely possible for that to have happened--not to mention the technology didn't exist back then to create a convincing fake.

Reactions: msm859 and traxila
More hospitals forced to ration care amid delta surge mentions:
Several hospitals in Montana have either activated crisis standards of care or are considering it as the state is pummeled by COVID-19.
Still, the vast majority of COVID-19 patients overwhelming hospitals are unvaccinated, months after the vaccine became widely available to U.S. adults.

As of Friday, the ICUs in Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky and Texas all exceeded 90 percent capacity. The ICUs in Alaska and Montana, meanwhile, were 84 percent and 77 percent full, respectively, according to federal data.

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
From an anti-mask post on Facebook. Seems to me this proves that masks decrease infectious vector load.

1632706509147.png

The 4th wave might have been a dud but the 5th wave clearly wasn't hampered by vaccines.

Basically the 5th wave is just as deadly as the first wave.

1632711250987.png

when we get rid of wave number 5 will we get a valley or plateau for late fall/early winter or will the holidays bring us wave 6? Or is wave 5 going to fake us out and extend upwards after a day or two of lowered readings?

1632711468348.png

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
SIDE NOTE:
If we are really considering boosters, they should be re-formulated with the sequence of the Delta variant. I don't know what that means for FDA approval (would they have to be trialed like the originals, or could they be fast-tracked like what we do with Seasonal Influenza shots?).

Just my 0.02 of the subject of "well, if we are going to do boosters, might as well maximize their effectiveness".
Here is an intriguing hot new pre-print not off the press yet.
4FD13E77-FE2D-4BC2-985F-A4636D096CDC.jpeg

As you can see, the beta and delta variants are far removed from each other in terms of the antibody response: delta escapes from beta infection elicited antibody immunity (12-fold lower neutralization) and beta dramatically escapes from delta elicited immunity, a 34-fold drop!

In other words, a vaccine based on the common ancestral variant of Beta and Delta (the current vaccine) likely does a better job of protecting against both variants while a vaccine based on Delta might not elicite good protection against a Beta-like variant.

A dual vaccine that produced spikes for both beta and delta might do better than the current vaccine?

Tweet thread:

Last edited:
In what alternate universe would that be an anti-mask post? If the mask didn't "catch" those, the person would have inhaled them.
You wouldn't believe the logic around "Wearing masks are dangerous". This was in our local school Facebook group. They are trying to come up with reasons the Governor's school mask mandate is harming their precious children who should just get COVID and share it with everyone else.

My first thought when I saw the post was that Florida school should test all students for TB.

Did you know there are toxic substances in laundry detergent? So washing a mask in the laundry will kill kids. Really, that was one of the comments. Personally I don't think anyone should be wearing a cloth mask at this point, but I also wouldn't be putting them in the laundry either. Just wash them with mild soap in a basin and hang them to dry.

5th wave clearly wasn't hampered by vaccines.

It's true that the mortality with this wave has been way higher than I expected (CFR is still over 1, close to 1.2%, higher than my hope of 0.5%-1%). It absolutely has been hampered by vaccines. Just not as much as it should have been, and the lack of uniformity of vaccination rates has really hurt. Delta variant has probably also played some role.

Basically the 5th wave is just as deadly as the first wave.

1) You don't know how many cases were in the first wave (there were a lot!)

2) We know there was significant undercounting of mortality due to COVID in that first wave, based on excess mortality data. (At this point it's pretty clear the excess mortality was not primarily due to other causes.). This chart makes that apparent (however, note that the 2021 data lags and it will continue to rise). Best to use to compare waves 1 & 2. Worldometers says wave 1 was ~85% more deadly than wave 2. But looks like it was actually 200-300% more deadly than wave 2. (And wave 1 was about 15% lower peak than the winter wave (wave 3) - though much sharper (NPIs!), so substantially less deadly. Worldometers shows a peak about 35% lower than wave 3 for wave 1.)

1632759354403.jpeg

Source (first link I could find):

When looking at this recent wave, the most fair comparison is to wave 3. It looks like so far it was 33% less deadly than that wave (so far). This is way worse than I thought it would be, but it is an improvement representing 10s of thousands of lives saved.

This gap may widen on the downside of the curve - it's possible that deaths will drop more quickly than in prior waves in some areas (fewer stragglers). You can see deaths simply are not following cases and hospitalizations in more heavily vaccinated areas.

1632759198078.jpeg

Source:

It's true that the mortality with this wave has been way higher than I expected (CFR is still over 1, close to 1.2%, higher than my hope of 0.5%-1%). It absolutely has been hampered by vaccines. Just not as much as it should have been, and the lack of uniformity of vaccination rates has really hurt. Delta variant has probably also played some role.

1) You don't know how many cases were in the first wave (there were a lot!)

you are speaking in relative terms, I was speaking in absolute terms.

Just look at the size of the waves in deaths, wave 1 and wave 5 have similar areas under the curve.

You can talk till you are blue in your face about CFR, IFR, and any another acronym you want but the US population hasn't dramatically shifted between wave 1 and wave 5 so deaths is the number I have to look at. It doesn't matter that the vaccinated are super unlikely to be in the death curve if the deaths are still happening.

You can spin "why" all you want, I'm observing "what" and "when".

Just look at the size of the waves in deaths, wave 1 and wave 5 have similar areas under the curve.
But you're ignoring the fact that the number of infections in wave 5 looks like 8 times as many while deaths are actually lower than wave one. I'd say that's strong evidence that vaccines, and better treatments, have been effective.

You can spin "why" all you want, I'm observing "what" and "when".
No spin here. I’m just saying that vaccinations have noticeably reduced mortality, which is true. Not as much as hoped because only half the people got vaccinated who were eligible, but such is life.
wave 1 and wave 5 so deaths is the number I have to look at.
Right, that is what you should look at. However, in this case you need to look at excess mortality (which is not complete yet for wave 5) and compare to wave 1. You can see the plot above. That’s the key.

It does look likely that we’ll do slightly better than wave 1, though we will see (not clear yet, because the data is not complete). That’s actually likely a considerably better result, all things considered, since the country is open now while everything was largely shut down in wave 1.

Another way to tell whether vaccination helped is to look at deaths in this wave in vaccinated and unvaccinated (tracked by some localities), correct for portion of population of each group, and see how it looks.

It’s true that it doesn’t matter whether only unvaccinated people are dying for the most part - they are still deaths. But the fact that vacccinated people are dying at a lower rate indicates that rate*population of vaccinated people, are being saved each day.

But you're ignoring the fact that the number of infections in wave 5 looks like 8 times as many while deaths are actually lower than wave one. I'd say that's strong evidence that vaccines, and better treatments, have been effective.
You can't do that you're comparing apples to oranges - there were far more cases in wave 1 than were actually counted due to the lack of testing capacity and availability. Also - deaths were highly concentrated in a few small areas (NYC, for example) where hospitals were quickly overwhelmed leading to excessive death rates - not to mention that treatments have vastly improved since then as well.

If you want to see how vaccines are working - compare the rate of infection in people today - then compare to the rate of hospitalization and death today for the vaccinated and un-vaccinated - or perhaps compare wave 3 and 5.

Even then - there will be differences in demographics that you need to take into account.

You wouldn't believe the logic around "Wearing masks are dangerous". This was in our local school Facebook group. They are trying to come up with reasons the Governor's school mask mandate is harming their precious children who should just get COVID and share it with everyone else.

My first thought when I saw the post was that Florida school should test all students for TB.

Did you know there are toxic substances in laundry detergent? So washing a mask in the laundry will kill kids. Really, that was one of the comments. Personally I don't think anyone should be wearing a cloth mask at this point, but I also wouldn't be putting them in the laundry either. Just wash them with mild soap in a basin and hang them to dry.

So these people concerned about laundry detergent and toxicity are wearing clothes and sleeping on bedding washed in this stuff.

BTW for anyone wanting KN95 masks, Newegg will sell you 50 for $15 at check out. I think you need to buy something worth some minimum value like $100.

Bottom line: If you are vaccinated your chances of serious illness or death from COVID are practically nil. Hospitals are full to overflowing with COVID patients, nearly all of whom are unvaccinated. It's plain on the face of it: Vaccines work. So much so that a rational society would make vaccination a requirement for receiving medical care and would enforce mandatory supervised quarantine for all unvaccinated people.

We could stop this virus in its tracks if we just locked all unvaccinated people in their homes for a month.

One thing I'm struck by is how high the CFR has been in Florida, around 2%, higher than in prior waves. That may reflect the effect of an overwhelmed health care system. And Florida's vax rate at the start of the delta wave was only slightly lower than the national average at the time.

I'm very concerned about some of these states with mediocre vaccination coverage that were also spared by earlier waves. In states like Alaska there may still be 30-40% of the adult population with no COVID immunity at all. It only takes about 10% of the population getting COVID to overwhelm the hospital system.