Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Denmark is really taking off! The trajectory there, the UK, and in South Africa should give us some idea of what to expect.
Entire Africa has an explosion of cases. Several countries with more than doubling of cases in a week. Africa as a whole is 88% up over last week.

And surprisingly even South Korea is shooting up, though probably not Omicron.

1639346453660.png

ps : S Korea decreased booster shot waiting time from 6 months to 3. So has Australia. I think they should do it in US too.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Entire Africa has an explosion of cases. Several countries with more than doubling of cases in a week. Africa as a whole is 88% up over last week.

And surprisingly even South Korea is shooting up, though probably not Omicron.

View attachment 743594
Hopefully this time it really is like the flu. Even stopped clocks are right twice per day!

A little over 100K.
That's a lot of cases. We have a little over 170,000 and have been running between 70-160 daily over the past 2 weeks. Not looking forward to a spike like you are seeing. My wife's hospital is now making licensed salary staff to work mandatory 8 hours extra a week in clinical positions. They are paying them $100/hr above their salary but still many of those people haven't worked in a clinical setting in years. But they are running out of staff. Not a good time to get sick with anything right now.

That's a lot of cases. We have a little over 170,000 and have been running between 70-160 daily over the past 2 weeks. Not looking forward to a spike like you are seeing. My wife's hospital is now making licensed salary staff to work mandatory 8 hours extra a week in clinical positions. They are paying them $100/hr above their salary but still many of those people haven't worked in a clinical setting in years. But they are running out of staff. Not a good time to get sick with anything right now.
In my area, some nurses are making almost 2x that of experienced developers/programmers. Much more than GPs and FPs.
Not a bad career.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
When I see people having Vaccine hesitancy because long term effects are unknown - this is what I think of. We do know the long term effects of Covid and its not pretty.

Another example of the irony.

In my area, some nurses are making almost 2x that of experienced developers/programmers. Much more than GPs and FPs.
Not a bad career.

If just making money is your goal. Most of them are paying a steep price in other ways for that money.

Not a bad career.
That is now. I was an RN 40 years ago. A job where I could go just about anywhere at the time and find a job that paid enough to live. It was rewarding when I did it but like many others I knew, it was a path to something else because much of the work wears people down, physically and mentally.The pressure can be enormous. Make one mistake and your career can be over.

Over the decades I have watched hospitals do everything they could to attract nurses they desperately needed and then a year or few later do everything they could to get rid of "excess" nurses. Even now a lot of those high incomes are because of limited time bonuses, not annual salaries. So when this crisis is over management will put the screws to nurses to force them out or just lay them off. Sadly it's a boom and bust career befitting the "business" that healthcare has become.

Last edited:
Not a bad career.
Do you know what nurses deal with on a daily basis? Especially in this current situation where they are literally risking their lives every day? I'm thankful that anyone would do the job for any amount of money, I wouldn't.

Do you know what nurses deal with on a daily basis? Especially in this current situation where they are literally risking their lives every day? I'm thankful that anyone would do the job for any amount of money, I wouldn't.
My comment was in no way a knock on nursing.
I was just stating a fact.
Most of my larger, extended family are/were healthcare providers. I also have family working on the insurance side, administration side, hospital claims consulting, etc. And, majority of my social network also work in the industry.
My previous career was in biopharm reg.
So, I have plenty idea of what goes on there.

Our healthcare system sucks.
It’s a good thing there’s someone in the family who can deal with any issues. I feel bad for those that have a hard time understanding the ins and outs of the system.
Ie. One complaint I recently heard about was that a patient was dumbfounded by the fact that they were being billed for demonstration and instructional pamphlet on how to use albuterol. (Could’ve been 2 separate codes btw).

Edit:
For anyone that knows EHR…I also strongly believe the VA choosing to go with Cerner was absurd. Someone’s best friend probably got a lavish retirement.

Last edited:
Speaking of risk, just got an email that Casablanca will be in our theater for one day in late January. I'd love to see it, but just can't imagine going to a movie in a theater would be safe even by late January.

There's always DVDs and streaming.

When I see people having Vaccine hesitancy because long term effects are unknown - this is what I think of. We do know the long term effects of Covid and its not pretty.

I have friends like that. I can only imagine that it's a combination of "It can't happen to me," and a general rejection of reality. I don't know many right-wingers, but I have some new-age friends who believe that if you just eat "organic" foods and "keep your immune system healthy," you won't get sick. (But if you get vaccinated, something horrible might happen five years down the road. Idiocy!)

A friend of mine is a nurse. She had to quit nursing because the stress was burning her out. Not only the physical risk of getting sick, and the occasional obnoxious patient, but the administration treated the nurses badly and created an emotionally unhealthy work environment.

Not just that - I worry about how many would take up healthcare in general in the coming years. One of my nephews decided not to pursue medicine after seeing his doctor parents struggle during Covid.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and madodel