Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least 58% of U.S. population has natural antibodies from previous Covid infection, CDC says

• Three out of every 5 people in the U.S. now have antibodies from a previous Covid-19 infection, according to a new CDC analysis.
  • The proportion is even higher among children, demonstrating how widespread the virus was during the winter omicron surge.
  • CDC officials told reporters on a call Tuesday that the study did not measure whether people with prior infections had high enough antibody levels to protect against reinfection and severe illness.
  • However, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said health officials believe there is a lot of protection against the virus in communities from vaccination, boosting and infection taken together.
CDC study:
Seroprevalence of Infection-Induced SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies...

"During September–December 2021, overall seroprevalence increased by 0.9–1.9 percentage points per 4-week period. During December 2021–February 2022, overall U.S. seroprevalence increased from 33.5% (95% CI = 33.1–34.0) to 57.7% (95% CI = 57.1–58.3). Over the same period, seroprevalence increased from 44.2% (95% CI = 42.8–45.8) to 75.2% (95% CI = 73.6–76.8) among children aged 0–11 years and from 45.6% (95% CI = 44.4–46.9) to 74.2% (95% CI = 72.8–75.5) among persons aged 12–17 years (Figure). Seroprevalence increased from 36.5% (95% CI = 35.7–37.4) to 63.7% (95% CI = 62.5–64.8) among adults aged 18–49 years, 28.8% (95% CI = 27.9–29.8) to 49.8% (95% CI = 48.5–51.3) among those aged 50–64 years, and from 19.1% (95% CI = 18.4–19.8) to 33.2% (95% CI = 32.2–34.3) among those aged ≥65 years.

The findings in this report are subject to at least four limitations. First, convenience sampling might limit generalizability. Second, lack of race and ethnicity data precluded weighting for these variables. Third, all samples were obtained for clinical testing and might overrepresent persons with greater health care access or who more frequently seek care. Finally, these findings might underestimate the cumulative number of SARS-CoV-2 infections because infections after vaccination might result in lower anti-N titers,§§,¶¶ and anti-N seroprevalence cannot account for reinfections.

As of February 2022, approximately 75% of children and adolescents had serologic evidence of previous infection with SARS-CoV-2, with approximately one third becoming newly seropositive since December 2021. The greatest increases in seroprevalence during September 2021–February 2022, occurred in the age groups with the lowest vaccination coverage; the proportion of the U.S. population fully vaccinated by April 2022 increased with age (5–11, 28%; 12–17, 59%; 18–49, 69%; 50–64, 80%; and ≥65 years, 90%).*** Lower seroprevalence among adults aged ≥65 years, who are at greater risk for severe illness from COVID-19, might also be related to the increased use of additional precautions with increasing age (3).

These findings illustrate a high infection rate for the Omicron variant, especially among children. Seropositivity for anti-N antibodies should not be interpreted as protection from future infection.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and JRP3
At least 58% of U.S. population has natural antibodies from previous Covid infection, CDC says

• Three out of every 5 people in the U.S. now have antibodies from a previous Covid-19 infection, according to a new CDC analysis.
  • The proportion is even higher among children, demonstrating how widespread the virus was during the winter omicron surge.
  • CDC officials told reporters on a call Tuesday that the study did not measure whether people with prior infections had high enough antibody levels to protect against reinfection and severe illness.
  • However, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said health officials believe there is a lot of protection against the virus in communities from vaccination, boosting and infection taken together.
Wow - is my circle of friends just way more cautious than everyone else or something? In my circle of friends, as far as I'm aware (and just about everyone has school-age kids), the percentage infected is basically 0% as far as I am aware. I was totally expecting to pick up Omicron over the winter holidays, though.

Though given infection numbers, 58% probably makes sense.

Reactions: TespaceX
Twitter thread you linked is 95% people mocking a dead person. You can post what you like but it’s not what I’m into.
Right, it's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out. Laughing or mocking people who have died, presumably from bad decisions, is very different than hoping something good could come from that event. Meaning even a few people learning not to blindly trust the baseless nonsense of extremists. If that's even a part of your hopes expressing yourself more cautiously would help that message. But not everyone recognizes or cares about the larger picture or expresses themselves well, or with that in mind. The human brain is just big enough to get us into trouble.

As an emergency physician, I have seen many people in respiratory extremes from COVID lamenting their decision not to get the immunization, or even sadder, those not immunized only because of family beliefs. I had a 20-year-old female die with that very scenario. I have had others who even until death refused to believe they had COVID and who refused COVID testing, even though the results would have been obvious. As with alcoholics and drug users, we simply help the best we can, regardless of personal decisions.

The truth is this lady may have died even if she had been immunized, had COVID previously, or accepted the current best-known treatment, although that is certainly statistically much less likely. Our ability to predict in an individual who will get sicker versus who will have only mild symptoms is still limited. Statistics help in the overall population but have limitations when applied to the individual. There is still something not understood about individual susceptibility to severe COVID disease. It's clearly not as simple as comorbidities. Is it viral load, an unknown genetic factor, other? Did this lady's decisions lead to her death? Those decisions certainly did not help. In any case, all of this is just sad, but we keep doing the best we can. And we have advanced relatively quickly. At this point in the HIV epidemic, we knew very very little. It took many years to get control of that one. Of course, now we have 30+ years of viral research based on HIV and Hepatitis C to bank on. That helps. Don't misunderstand, immunizations work and have made all the difference, even if not 100% effective.

Last edited:
Wow - is my circle of friends just way more cautious than everyone else or something? In my circle of friends, as far as I'm aware (and just about everyone has school-age kids), the percentage infected is basically 0% as far as I am aware. I was totally expecting to pick up Omicron over the winter holidays, though.

Though given infection numbers, 58% probably makes sense.
Prior to some of the recent surges, I personally (doesn't count people on forums like here or TiVocommunity) knew of nobody that had been infected other than a night janitor at my work. Back then, someone at my work down in So Cal (we have offices down there) I think said they knew of 30 folks that had been infected!

Fast forward w/some of these new variants (esp. omicron and some of its related variants), several of my co-workers, including some in management and some on a team we work with have reported tested positive for COVID.

I had never even been tested once prior to around Feb 2022 so if I ever had it, I didn't know about it. Work had some expensive test kits then they asked us to order these expensive kits (Diagnostic testing at the speed of life | Cue, the reader + tests). We're supposed to test ourselves/get tested at least once a week if we go into the office regularly. So far, I haven't tested positive yet and I'm testing myself or using an onsite nurse at work (uses the same tests) about twice a week.

I got my 2 Pfizer doses very early on, before my county and the whole state opened COVID-19 vaccinations to my age group. And, I got a Moderna booster in Nov 2021.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: madodel and Jeff N
Eric Topol
What about the BA.2 wave in the US?
98,000 confirmed new cases, and > 500 added hospitalizations reported today

Seems like we should know in a week how this is going to go. Already it looks like it is unlikely to explode like winter, but this stuff is hard to see, until it really hits you (especially with a bunch of separate exponentials added together like we have here).

Nearly endemic I guess, but not yet. Guess I wonder what happens when BA.3 and BA.4 face off with this variant in the US (things not looking awesome in SA but they have very low vaccination rates so we may be better off than they are there).

In any case, it’s probably my confirmation bias speaking, but it still looks to me like we are really benefiting from our immunity levels. We’ll know in a week or so!

Prior to some of the recent surges, I personally (doesn't count people on forums like here or TiVocommunity) knew of nobody that had been infected other than a night janitor at my work. Back then, someone at my work down in So Cal (we have offices down there) I think said they knew of 30 folks that had been infected!

Fast forward w/some of these new variants (esp. omicron and some of its related variants), several of my co-workers, including some in management and some on a team we work with have reported tested positive for COVID.

I had never even been tested once prior to around Feb 2022 so if I ever had it, I didn't know about it. Work had some expensive test kits then they asked us to order these expensive kits (Diagnostic testing at the speed of life | Cue, the reader + tests). We're supposed to test ourselves/get tested at least once a week if we go into the office regularly. So far, I haven't tested positive yet and I'm testing myself or using an onsite nurse at work (uses the same tests) about twice a week.

I got my 2 Pfizer doses very early on, before my county and the whole state opened COVID-19 vaccinations to my age group. And, I got a Moderna booster in Nov 2021.
On a related note, I did attend CES in January 2020. For a long time, I tended to go each year as long as I was a "qualified member" of the industry as I enjoy going. CES is a massive trade show. https://cdn.ces.tech/ces/media/pdfs/2020-ces-attendance-audit-summary.pdf mentions where were 171K attendees. During CES, there were rumors of a pneumonia going on in China at the time and there were PLENTY of attendees from all over the world including a ton from China.

I do remember being very sick shortly after I got back from CES 2020 for several days. But, getting sick after coming back from CES isn't unusual at all. 13 Investigates: How CES might have been an original COVID-19 super-spreader posted in Jan 2022 says "But in May of 2020, the Nevada Health Response team confirmed what the sickened attendees suspected: that they got sick here in Las Vegas in December 2019 and January 2020, and the illness was COVID-19."

Was my illness from CES COVID-19? Dunno.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Twitter thread you linked is 95% people mocking a dead person. You can post what you like but it’s not what I’m into.
I'm obviously not responsible for those comments.

Anyway, Twitter is about to become worse ;)

If that's even a part of your hopes expressing yourself more cautiously would help that message.
If I was to be "responsible" for the comments, obviously I can't post any links to twitter.

And worse you are attributing to me the sentiments expressed in comments. You should be more careful about attributions.

Last edited:
Taiwan succumbs finally ....

1651169277196.png

I'm obviously not responsible for those comments.

Anyway, Twitter is about to become worse ;)
I don't recall where I said or even implied you were responsible for the comments, nice try though. I pointed out that you made a conscious choice to link a twitter thread that is full of people mocking a dead person and I just was trying to understand how you thought that added value to this forum. You don't have to answer me, I'm not your mom, I just asked what the point of posting that was.
As far as twitter getting worse... it remains to be seen nobody really knows what will come of it. If encrypted DMs, open source code, an edit button, and politically neutral and transparent moderation policies that follow what the current speech laws scare you then that's on you. But that is neither here nor there in a coronavirus thread.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Well, something new to discuss in the COVID world. What do you guys make of the recent headlines regarding severe hepatitis in kids with a fairly high death rate in those severe cases? Unfortunately, no confident link to anything in particular yet. CAH-C (covid associated hepatitis in children)?

Well, something new to discuss in the COVID world. What do you guys make of the recent headlines regarding severe hepatitis in kids with a fairly high death rate in those severe cases? Unfortunately, no confident link to anything in particular yet. CAH-C (covid associated hepatitis in children)?
I haven’t heard any COVID link. All I have seen is a possible link to adenovirus but that it is still under investigation. It’s never good when healthy kids are getting severely I’ll.

Reactions: bkp_duke