Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard people say that this means you should just get COVID since there is just going to be a summer, and fall, and winter wave (it’s very seasonal). Stop resisting. Seems self-fulfilling though.
Plus it seems that previous infection may not convey much resistance to later mutations. It may be inevitable but I'm still trying to limit my exposure.

My wife just went back to work after ten days of Covid. She was pretty sick but oxygen level was above 90 and fever never went over 100. She had chills, cough, inability to keep food down for the first two days, and diarrhea. She self tested positive and then got a negative this AM before back to work. She had the first two vaccines and one booster. So far I have no symptoms. I had two vaccines, two boosters and one positive test back in January but my case was very light compared to hers.

My partner may have had a very short bout of BA.4 or BA.5, or it may have been something else. She started getting a headache late afternoon, then she got really stuffed up, a few hours later her digestive tract was bothering her too. Then about 6 hours after the headache started, he sinuses all drained in one big rush and everything started to right itself. The next day she felt fine. She did a home COVID test which was negative, but those are not great for the Omicron variants.

This was about 2 weeks ago.

She has some allergies, but wasn't exposed to anything unusual. She hadn't left the house all day. I set up the Molekule next to her on the couch just in case and I didn't get anything, which could mean it wasn't contagious or the Molekule worked.

She has a strong first line of defense to her immune system. I've seen her beat colds and flu in one day. She'll feel like she's coming down with something and if she gets a good night's rest, she's fine the next day. She can't remember ever having a full blown case of the flu and the only time colds get her is if she doesn't take the time to get a little extra sleep. Though if a cold does get her, she gets very sick. She's had pneumonia enough times that the doctor has told her the next time might kill her. The last cold turned into bronchitis within 24 hours.

Ultimately, who knows what it was. When things calm down around here (life is nuts at the moment) she will probably get an antibody test.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
Nothing too surprising here. Hopefully in addition to high titers against the latest variants, the approved vaccine also has good breadth.
It’s not clear we’re going to make the right vaccine on time though. Current trajectory would spot the virus an extra six months.

For sure it will be at least bivalent. Trivalent might well make sense.

She did a home COVID test which was negative, but those are not great for the Omicron variants.
As far as I know, the home (antigen) COVID tests work just fine for recognizing Omicron. If you have just become symptomatic and you test negative then you should test again in another day or two.

It’s true that it’s now somewhat common for positive tests to lag new COVID symptoms by a day or two but that’s not really due to the antigen tests being less sensitive to Omicron. A similar positive result delay is seen with PCR testing. It’s just due to symptoms occurring before a high enough viral load occurs in the nose.

As far as I know, the home (antigen) COVID tests work just fine for recognizing Omicron. If you have just become symptomatic and you test negative then you should test again in another day or two.

It’s true that it’s now somewhat common for positive tests to lag new COVID symptoms by a day or two but that’s not really due to the antigen tests being less sensitive to Omicron. A similar positive result delay is seen with PCR testing. It’s just due to symptoms occurring before a high enough viral load occurs in the nose.
I just took a test and it lit up like a Christmas tree, so I’m assuming they work fine for Omicron.

Thank you. I have full on flu symptoms (fever, head and body aches, cough, congestion). It’s not pleasant, but it could be way worse.

I took my family to Disney last week on a much needed vacation. Brought home a souvenir of Covid. Luckily everyone else is negative.
Hope you get better soon, and your family stays well.

Update on BA.5’s march of conquest.

55DC03FE-0CDE-4D9F-BC30-079D99B9FE11.jpeg

which will be the dominant variant inside of 3-4 weeks, there is very little chance of the current vaccine being approved for this age group.

I would guess that the vaccine will be approved for young children after the three-dose data is available (I'd expect it to show efficacy above 50%, at least in one of the subgroups)

Hooray! Armchair hack immunologist FTW. I guess we’ll see what is the actual efficacy when the final endpoint is reached (21 events) but I like my chances with 80% efficacy after 10 events. Who knows how it stacks up against BA.4/BA.5, of course.

Looks like cases are on the rise again. Will be interesting to see how this plays out - seems based on South Africa we should not expect too much.

Seems like they are going to try to target BA.4/BA.5 with the booster but doesn’t seem we are going to buy any vaccines.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke and DrGriz
It's a tough sell in this age group.
Yep, the nonsense is getting through. Tidal wave! People really think that this intervention has significant risks. A shame really, since there are minimal risks, a bunch of other people (grandparents, etc.) around the kids could be even more protected, in addition to the kids themselves being better off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Yep, the nonsense is getting through. Tidal wave! People really think that this intervention has significant risks. A shame really, since there are minimal risks a bunch of other people (grandparents, etc.) around the kids could be even more protected, in addition to the kids themselves being better off.

As a physician, if I had kids 5 and under, I would have a hard time convincing myself to vaccinate my kids. This group just doesn't get very sick, doesn't get long covid, and doesn't die in appreciable numbers. The IFR is just tiny in this group.

And "being around grandparents" isn't a reason enough to force vaccinate these kids any longer. The vaccine is effective enough in the elderly to reduce death and (for those that have breakthrough infections) disease severity. My in-laws were triple-vaccinated (Pfizer), mask wearing, and had COVID last month. 2-3 days of body aches and a runny nose is what they had (PCR verified BA.2 strain).

We've hit endemic status.

doesn't die in appreciable numbers. The IFR is just tiny in this group.

I should hope so! Of course, the more important question is how much lower it is after vaccination (I suspect about 5x lower, but it is going to be a long time before we have enough data to get an estimate on that). Which was my point: As was clear from my post, I was not using protection of others as the rationale for vaccination of kids. Nice side benefit though!

But yes, this is the reasoning that parents are using I suspect. Unfortunate.

Last edited:
2/3 of the Covid patients hospitalized, both on general medical floors and in the ICU, in our health system are "fully" vaccinated (however that is actually defined). I think a case can be made that some folks (mostly older) still need outside protection despite everything.

My FP partner with a 1 year old travelled 100 miles to get her kiddo vaccinated 10 days sooner. But here in what may be the worst state for anti-vaxxers, long before Covid, I think there will be very few takers.

My wife and 4 year old daughter ended up getting sick and testing positive on Wednesday. I gave them the rapid tests we got from the government and they instantly turned positive, so they seem to work fine from this variant.

My wife has cold symptoms. Runny nose. Cough. Nothing too bad.

My 4 year old had a fever for 6 hours. No other symptoms. Now she has endless energy which makes working from home extremely difficult.

I had flulike symptoms for 4 days. Back to 100%.

Will BA.2.75 become the new hotness? We’ll see. Seems like by then (fall?) we’ll have burned Omicron through everyone, so not sure how much advantage it will have. Sounds like it has good escape from vaccines and infection prior to Omicron (but not from Omicron immunity). Should knock down vaccine efficacy against infection even further.

Decided to get the Nuvaxovid. Seems to work well against BA5. So far 24h later no sides, some general tiredness but seems milder than Pfizer.

In other news:
(ignore the source, but what the article says is more or less true)
Over the weekend, a TikTok video went viral in which a young woman named Halle shared her experience attempting to get tested for monkeypox, revealing how totally unprepared the American health care system is for this growing outbreak.

After contacting two urgent care centers and two primary care physicians who were unaware of the monkeypox outbreak and even the disease itself, she was told to return to work and prescribed antibiotics. A dermatologist she was to consult with canceled her appointment and told her to contact the CDC.

Halle noted, “I called the CDC. The CDC says, ‘Call your PCP [primary care provider].’ The lady I talked to at the CDC had no idea what she was talking about and couldn’t answer any of my questions. I have not been able to get tested anywhere. Doctors have refused to see me, and I have this mysterious and painful rash all over my face, chest, arms and back… The CDC has no idea what they are doing, nobody is educated, not even doctors, and doctors will refuse to see you, treat you or test you. And the CDC does nothing about it.”

White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha recently commented on the monkeypox outbreak in his typically complacent manner, stating, “We as a global community have known about it for decades. We know how it spreads. We have tests that help identify people who are infected. We have vaccines that are highly effective against it.”

Jha’s first pronouncement on monkeypox is as false and empty as his threadbare refrain regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, “We have the tools.” In reality, while the “tools” may exist, they are not being deployed and managed in a coordinated fashion due to the decades-long dismantling of public health, which has been starkly revealed and exacerbated during the coronavirus pandemic.

James Krellenstein, a co-founder of the HIV treatment advocacy group Prep4All, gave the opposite assessment of Dr. Jha to The Hill, stating bluntly, “We’ve been sort of screaming for a month about how bad the diagnostic situation is for monkeypox. And that really was a clear error, preventable, and it’s very clear that this administration has not learned lessons from early COVID.”

David Harvey, Executive Director of the National Coalition of STD Directors, told The Hill, “Where we have lagged is streamlining testing, making vaccines available, streamlining access to the best therapeutics. All three areas have been bureaucratic and slow, and that means we haven’t contained this outbreak.”

These comments only begin to get to the heart of the matter. The entire public health infrastructure is underfunded and in complete disarray, meaning the mistakes made previously will continue unless serious measures are taken to restore the edifice. The inability to fund one of the most important social functions of government while making available all resources for permanent war is not simply a mistake of omission or want; it is a deliberate and bipartisan policy decision made on behalf of the corporate-financial oligarchy.

At the global level, the World Health Organization IHR Emergency Committee met on June 23 and refrained from formally declaring the global monkeypox outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), opting to wait for an unspecified period of time until more data is accrued.

This decision draws comparisons to the WHO’s delayed response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which was not declared a PHEIC until January 30, 2020, at which point there were already 7,818 confirmed cases in 19 countries throughout the world. Not until March 11, 2020, did the WHO formally declare the coronavirus a pandemic. As the WHO continues to drag their feet, modeling estimates predict dire consequences as the number of cases continues to rise exponentially.

The results of a recent modeling study published on June 21, 2022, in The Conversation by Adam Kleczkowski, a professor of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Strathclyde, offered four scenarios for how the monkeypox outbreak could play out in the UK. The second scenario, which estimates that monkeypox infections in the UK could reach as high as 60,000 cases per day by the end of the year, appears to be the most plausible given the current exponential trajectory.

As Kleczkowski noted, “The size of the outbreak is already well beyond the most prominent 2017–19 outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (760). It is possible that large gatherings, including raves and festivals, have created new transmission clusters.”

This is in line with projections made by data scientist J. Weiland that without any mitigation measures the total number of monkeypox cases worldwide could reach 100,000 by August and 1 million by late September.

As the global monkeypox outbreak continues its assault everywhere, the demand for resources will likely soon outstrip the available supply of vaccines and therapeutics. Bavarian Nordic, a small Danish company, is the manufacturer of Jynneos, the only vaccine developed against the monkeypox virus.

On Friday, the company announced that US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) had ordered an additional 2.5 million doses of liquid frozen Jynneos. With previous orders from BARDA, a total of 4.4 million doses are being delivered to the US in 2022 and 2023. The current stockpile is around 56,000 doses, with 300,000 more expected in the next several weeks.

However, Bavarian Nordic’s manufacturing capacity for the monkeypox vaccine has been reduced due to the partial shutdown and planned expansion of its facilities since last August. As a result, the rest of the world will have to wrangle over the limited doses of vaccines (enough for possibly 2.5 million people) available to them.

According to the New York Times, the vaccine production facility is not expected to reopen until late summer at the earliest, and any additional vaccines would not be available for at least six months. That means the company would only be able to produce, at most, less than five million doses of the two-dose Jynneos regimen for the rest of the world through 2022.

Professor Angela Rasmussen, a research scientist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada, observed that the current supply of monkeypox vaccines “is certainly not enough to vaccinate everybody who’s going to be at risk.”

In Europe, Spain has been the first to initiate vaccination of high-risk individuals. Last week, the country received 5,300 doses from the European Commission’s Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Authority (HERA), out of 109,090 doses they procured from Bavarian Nordic.