Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are right, this begs the question why would Madodel's wife be so "imprecise"? She is a doctor and I would assume she would be keen on these type of issues. huhmmmm.. So strange... To make such a claim basically saying RSV is on the raise, but then forgetting to notice that RSV was never tested before this year... strange...
That's the current buzz, and trust me, I am right, a cardiologist is not in tune with how we test for such things, and neither are most. We have been hearing since the combo swabs became available, hey we have an adult with RSV, weird. And we have to keep pointing out that, guess what, we never before looked. Oh, yeah, right.........the reply.

You’re likely not the first to think of this, but putting together a study with cohorts that are actually matched, which actually has statistical significance is pretty difficult.

Hopefully someone will do this and see whether prior COVID is a factor, etc. - or indeed whether there is any increase in RSV severity at all.

No that is not what I was saying. It’s just something to keep an eye on. Excess mortality is bad, and we should try to determine the causes! Correlation is not causation.

You said you were seeing a lot less COVID pneumonia. That’s good. It seems about 10x less common than the peaks according to the mortality data. It’s good to keep an eye on excess mortality to make sure there aren’t deaths we are missing which may be attributed to COVID (or something else!). Maybe ones that never make it to a hospital!

We want to see mortality get to baseline, and it is definitely not there yet, and if you just calculate the numbers based on official data, COVID is a big contributor to that (causative).
I'm wid yous, Alan........

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
As I've stated here before my wife saw a huge increase in cardiac arrhythmias after COVID started, particularly Afib. This is nothing new. It continues.
I'm not suggesting covid does not have cardiac effects, by all observations it certainly can/does. What I'm suggesting is covid has made us all too eager to jump the observational boat, to swim to an assumed certain shore......

I'm not suggesting covid does not have cardiac effects, by all observations it certainly can/does. What I'm suggesting is covid has made us all too eager to jump the observational boat, to swim to an assumed certain shore......
While your comment about her RSV observation was appreciated, she's very good at what she does in her field and the numbers are not just slightly elevated. It's very clear to her the relationship and I trust her experience. Unlike some here who are painting COVID as down to just the flu, it is still causing some significant, though perhaps temporary damage while no longer killing as many people.

I'm not sure what the 5G chip theory is with respect to covid, but you can do your own digging on that subject.
I'll tell you how I learned about this. One of my patients is pastor to a small rural church 100 miles or so from where we live. He and his wife are college educated, and his undergraduate degree is in chemistry, in fact. They did not want their parishioners to know that they were vaccinated, because the good folks in that tiny town were convinced that the Covid vaccine contained a Bill Gates computer chip. Once implanted, the chip would be activated by exposure to (scary!) 5G signals, should you travel to the big city and become exposed to those wavelengths. This then allowed the government to influence your thoughts. Probably by creating synapses that had never occurred to you.

We thought that it was problematic that the vaccine came from multidose vials. What happens to this plan if Nurse Ratchet draws up no chip for one of you, and 2 chips for the partner? All hell is loosed...

While your comment about her RSV observation was appreciated, she's very good at what she does in her field and the numbers are not just slightly elevated. It's very clear to her the relationship and I trust her experience. Unlike some here who are painting COVID as down to just the flu, it is still causing some significant, though perhaps temporary damage while no longer killing as many people.
The excess burden across the spectrum of CV disease and in particular for AF is not subtle in the VA study I referenced. 150K patients with over 10 million controls split between historical and contemporary groups. Your wife is spot on in regard to arrhythmia!

Of course, we don't have historical comparison for RSV, so that's impossible to say.

Last edited:
Sorry, man, not expressing myself as carefully/clearly as I should have, as I got ready for work this evening. I am certainly not questing anyone's experience, abilities, or observations, and I have no doubt about the nature of the observations presented. It's just that covid by nature of presentation, and political/media obsessive discussions, has over and over led us down paths of unverified assumptions. Clearly, people with cardiomyopathies from covid are more at risk of aberrancies of electrical conduction. And I have no doubt your wife, as most cardiologists, is/are seeing the repercussions of that effect.

Anyway, my response to that issue earlier sucked. Did not represent my intended point. Which was that the observation of seeing more patients who are/were/had been covid positive and have new-onset afib leaves a lot of holes for interpretation. Many/some covid positive patients have no symptoms, and most do not have clear cardiomyopathies. Or do they? And we are seeing more covid patients in any setting. But how that relates to specific pathology is a matter which requires persistent evidence. I'm just suggesting we must always keep our minds open and vigilant. We perfect the nature of knowledge as we proceed. But only if we do not obstruct that process.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
My company closed and we were place on "remote work". Once that eased up, if you didn't take the vaccine, you were singled out to to do a daily temperature check and a weekly COVID test. My gym was closed; so were many restaurants and bars. At one point, people were saying that grocery stores could also be closed or the hours limited. My 5 year old son's preschool was closed for a while. He was later forced to do remote learning. When he was in school, he was forced to wear a mask. For months at a time, he didn't really get to see the faces of other students. All elective surgery were post phoned. IIRC, my son had to skip a yearly examination because of COVID. I lived by the lake front in Chicago. The lakefront bike path was shutdown. The basketball league I was in also shut down. During the shutdown, I was not in the healthiest shape. Obviously, there were other more negative effects on other Chicagoans. I think they shut down the CTA and the L for a bit. Several restaurants also closed temporary... but ultimately, it became permanent.
So, you weren’t ever locked down? You could do whatever you wanted except play basketball and eat out for a week or two?

Unlike some here who are painting COVID as down to just the flu, it is still causing some significant, though perhaps temporary damage while no longer killing as many people.
Not sure if this was directed at me or not. Anyway.
Regarding influenza comparison, I was just going off of Bedford’s analysis posted earlier as well, which also excludes PASC (which is significant)! He thinks the fatality rate is similar to influenza. Just his best estimate from the best data available in the UK.

I think also influenza is bad. It significantly affects overall deaths on an annual basis. Not a mild disease or like a cold, or a flattering comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: PACEMD and jerry33
Not sure if this was directed at me or not. Anyway.
Actually not directed to you. Hopefully we reach that but as of now to me COVID still has serious long term effects which I'm not aware of any long term from flu. Also flu is seasonal while COVID has yet to disappear with weather changes. It waxes and wanes but it hasn't gone away in 3 years. Even with China's real lockdowns it still existed at low levels.

Actually not directed to you. Hopefully we reach that but as of now to me COVID still has serious long term effects which I'm not aware of any long term from flu. Also flu is seasonal while COVID has yet to disappear with weather changes. It waxes and wanes but it hasn't gone away in 3 years. Even with China's real lockdowns it still existed at low levels.

Yes the low level circulation is interesting and something that Bedford has also analyzed before. Due to combination of waning immunity and the somewhat more contagious (relative to flu) nature of SARS2, there is the possibility that is the steady state. I can’t remember the other details of the analysis.

But it does have seasonal pulses still; to some extent we can see that.

Hopefully the high steady state is actually just due to not enough people yet having had COVID, so it will continue to decline after this winter. We’ll see. Since the

China is going to be interesting. Yes it existed at VERY low levels but generally actually did not exist. Estimates are just 1% of the population had had it.
Apparently they are now not going to even try to keep track of cases from what I have read. There are going to be a lot of cases, and they will likely replay the world’s experience for the most part. It’s really unfortunate that they did not work harder on their vaccination campaign, or use mRNA. Hopefully they can find a way to encourage people to just live relatively normally. Right now apparently people are staying home, flattening the curve, even though there is no requirement!

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and madodel
No. The seropositive tests look for nucleocapsid antibodies and the vaccines used in North America and Europe only generate spike antibodies.
The ones in the UK look for both (they do two tests on samples) but I think the very high percentages include the spike measurements so would include both vaccinated and infected (they also measure the levels, not just positive/negative, of course). The plots are interesting but it's hard to separate waves from vaccination program impact without more detail.

The ones in the UK look for both (they do two tests on samples) but I think the very high percentages include the spike measurements so would include both vaccinated and infected (they also measure the levels, not just positive/negative, of course). The plots are interesting but it's hard to separate waves from vaccination program impact without more detail.

True, serology tests can also look for spike antibodies and any results reporting ~97% results pretty obviously include spike testing. I meant to say that serology survey results often measure only nucleocapsid antibodies in order to distinguish the ratio of the population that has been infected rather than vaccinated.

Reactions: madodel
This is the most recent data (published this month) I have been able to find for the US for this topic. If there is newer data than this, I haven't found it.

This contains information on both native (nucleocapsid) and vaccine (spike) antibodies.

The implication is that less than 50% of the US population have some sort of immunity, at least at the time of the study. It may be that antibody levels drop and there are more people with prior exposure. Additionally, many people may have been exposed to omicron since then. So, caveat emptor.

During August 2021–May 2022, 41.6% of a convenience sample of adults had both anti-spike antibodies (indicating previous infection or vaccination) and anti-nucleocapsid antibodies (indicating previous infection only); 43.7% of these persons were possibly asymptomatically infected.

edit: this may represent an IQ test of the US population vs. GB, where, as noted, the antibody levels are at 98%. Or something.

Last edited: