Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correct Solar Panel Layout Design after installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cxtran

Nov 27, 2021
CA
Tesla panel layout design for my home is a bad design: at any time, one of the panels is always in the shadow of the chimney. I brought up the issue with project advisor and she said that I have to pay the correction cost since I accepted the design at the first place. However, the acceptance is just that you acknowledged the design. It does not mean that you know the design is good or bad since you don't have expertise to make that judgment. Tesla is the one designed the layout and they should know about the design than anyone else.

Also there are several scratches, deep cuts on the panels after the installation. I called, sent pictures about the issues two weeks ago but still have not heard back from Tesla.

If any one has ever run into this situation, please give me advise how to resolve it. I know I don't have a lot of time sine the NEM 3.0 is implementing in Jan 22. I Only have one month to go.

James Tran

Attachments

• 20211127_145833.jpg
    20211127_145833.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211111_094900.jpg
    20211111_094900.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211113_115546.jpg
    20211113_115546.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20211113_113908.jpg
    20211113_113908.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 56
1st, Perhaps you could site your sources as to where you are getting "Nem 3.0 goes into effect in Jan of 22"? You would be the first person reporting that it will be EFFECTIVE that day that I have seen, so I am fairly certain that is not correct.

Second, we do not have any escalation path here within Tesla. You will need to continue to talk to (deal with) that situation as there is no advice we can give you about how you might get them to move your panels around for free, after you signed something.

Edit:

Re reading this, it sounds quite a bit "harsher" than I intended.

I am sympathetic to your situation.

I dont think NEM 3.0 is being IMPLEMENTED Jan of 22, but if you have information that says thats the case, I believe we would all love to see that.

We dont have any escalation path within tesla here at TMC, and if you signed off on the design, you are basically at their whim (my opinion, not a legal one). One should not sign off on something they dont agree with. As for the "It has too much shade", It sounds to me like you just got installed somewhat recently, so looking at production numbers (and shade) in the winter is not indicative of what your system will produce yearly.

Getting tesla to move your panels "because you want them moved" for free is going to be difficult. You might be able to do that if it doesnt hit your yearly production estimates, but you will likely find it does, even with the shade on those panels... so you are likely on the hook for paying for a different layout / panels moved if you want that.

Last edited:
I agree with @jjrandorin. It will be nearly impossible to get the panels moved for free and if you elect to pay for it then it's likely to be way more expensive than it is worth. The impact of the shading is likely going to be less than you might expect and will get better as we move toward summer. I likely have some amount of shading from my chimney too but haven't gone up to look to what extent. What is the optimum panel layout can be up for debate and often times setback requirements restrict where the panels can go so the optimum layout is not doable.

My install had several of the "scratches" like you pictured. In my case at least, if you go up and use your fingernail you will find that the you can remove them. Glass is pretty hard to scratch. I haven't pursued getting Tesla out to address the issue and figured I would just do it myself. As anything with Tesla you need to be the squeaky wheel to get anything addressed. If you do not hear back, keep calling every few days.

In regards to NEM 3.0, in January they will decide what NEM 3.0 will entail and how it will be implemented. Actual implementation will occur at an unknown date later in the year, and likely much later in the year.