TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Correct tool and instructions for removing the Model S nose cone

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ToddRLockwood, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#1 ToddRLockwood, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    A Tesla Ranger showed me the correct pry tool for removing the Model S nose cone. This is a good thing to keep in your car (but not in the electrically-actuated glove compartment!) The nose cone must be removed to get access to the 12V jump terminal, which allows you to jump or charge the 12V auxiliary battery. The pry tool can be found here:

Amazon.com: Steck Autobody (STK21730) Easy Pry Tool: Home Improvement

To remove the nose cone:

1. The hood must be open. If the 12V battery is completely dead, you will need to use the mechanical hood release located under the passenger side dashboard.

2. If you store the pry tool in the lower rear storage area and your 12V battery is dead, you'll need to climb into the rear of the car from the front to access the mechanical rear hatch release, located next to light on the inside of the hatch.

3. Toward the right end of the nose cone, lean on the horizontal surface just rearward of the nose and insert the thin end of pry tool between the nose cone and the trim surrounding it. Pull the other end of the pry tool gently upward, and the first few fasteners will release. Work the pry tool around the nose cone until it is completely free.

To replace the nose cone, simply align it and press into place.

2. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find out how to remove the nosecone so that I can mount my tollroad transponder on the inside. This will help greatly!

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Todd thanks for posting that info. I just ordered that pry tool. Good to have for emergency situations where I would need a jump to the 12V battery. Hopefully I will never have to use it. And I won't store it in the glove compartment ;-)

4. russman

russman Member

There was another thread that said it could be removed without the tool, just by pressing properly on the frunk ledge or something. I think there's a video out there of someone just popping it open. This would probably make it easier though.

5. liuping

liuping Active Member

I tried the method in the video. I could not get it to work without applying way more force than I was comfortable with. It's possible the release is different on newer cars.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That tool you're showing in the OP definitely is correct, but for anyone living near a Harbor Freight retail store, they sell a 4-pack of that and three differently-shaped non-marring nylon auto pry tools for a heckuvalot less: $6.99 for all four, according to the web-page I just pulled up: 4 Piece Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit I picked these up in November and they work just fine.

7. James Anders

James Anders Member

Tesla should include something like this with the car. Access to the 12V terminals is needed function.

8. patn

patn Member

What does "jumping" do exactly? Will the on-board 12v battery charger continue to supply power from the main battery once the car is "started"? i.e. would this procedure let you drive it home?

thanks for posting.

9. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Thanks... I have a set of pry tools that are similar to the pic below -- I'll throw one of them in the car for emergency purposes. Slightly different than the OP's link, but should still work using the same technique...

image_16103.jpg

10. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

11. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Thanks for posting that link cgiguy! Greatly appreciated!

12. Zextraterrestrial

if you use a pry tool there is no need to open the frunk but if you can open the frunk then just pushing hard on the upper is sort of easier than using a pry tool.

I have done it both ways many times.

13. Xin1120

Xin1120 Member

Did this work for you? I'm wondering the same thing but since most toll tag instructions say they have to be located next to the rear view mirror, I am not sure if this would cause any issues.

14. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Works great for the NC Quick Pass external transponder (the kind designed to be mounted on a front license plate). Check with your state to see if they have one that is supposed to be mounted on a front plate. The one that goes near the rear view mirror is probably not waterproof so it won't hold up even being under the nose cone.

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

My SC just opens the frunk and pushes on the chrome piece directly above the nosecone (just like the video). Then the nosecone pops off. :biggrin: Cracked me up.

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

That's how I do it. No tools required ;)

17. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've removed the nose cone by sitting on the area above it and using my weight to push up/down a few times. Snaps right out.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've probably done as many nose cone removals on different Model S's as anyone. Pressing on the chrome pieces doesn't always work. In those cases a pry tool is needed. I've used many types and I've pried from different places -- each car seems to vary.

19. Tom M

Tom M New Member

I got my new Model S a couple of weeks ago and tried various ways to remove the nose cone. Nothing worked using the tools I had. This morning I put an old vacuum mount for a GPS unit on the front as shown and gave it a sharp tug. Several clips released and the rest was easy. I intend to carry this old thing with me in the car from now on.

IMG_0100.JPG

20. sickfox

sickfox Member

Calling out folks living in the bay area. Has anyone tried putting your Fastrak behind the nosecone? I would like to do this too if it works. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.