Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correct wheel nut torque on Model-S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Model-S Raven LR Nov2019

Just had my wheels swapped over from Winter to Summer. My recollection was that torque should be 270 nm, fitter was sceptical it needed to be that much (and too much would be likely to "pull" the studs, so that over time they stretched and the thread portion would move clear of the wheel and no longer have thread to actually get the nut tight against the wheel).

Probably worth me checking them 50 miles or so after getting them changed anyway.

I don't know about the Model S, but the Model 3 is 175Nm (129lb-ft) which is very high from previous cars that I have owned so I fully understand why they are sceptical of 270Nm.

The Model 3 owners manual has the setting so suspect the Model S ones does too?

I just Googled the S Manual ... Model S wheel nut torque is the same as the Model 3 175Nm (129lb-ft)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks ... maybe I am mis-remembering 270 as 170 ... being dyslexic that sort of detail - even in the short time from having the wheels changed to now - is hard to be sure I have accurately remembered ... I'll check what he torqued them to.

Re: manual. My recollection is that there was a change from original (reduction). I suppose that depends on whether the online manual is reliably "current"