Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective Steering Applied For Your Safety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

In the US it's possible to turn it off for good since 2019.24.4 but not in Europe.

It was much less intrusive until the latest updates but now it reacts again on everything...

It could be because some tests showed it didn't always work and would allow drifting across lanes on occasion. I just got the 2020.8.2 and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Interested to see how it works now.

It’s the “Not a car/Tesla issue, it’s a driver issue.” bullsh*t attitude (Corrective Steering Applied For Your Safety!!!!) that makes me angry. Anyway, I apologised for being aggro.

I saw your apology after I wrote this. Your post was actually informative. Kinda gives us a window into how the different regions are dealing with automation. They want you to be safe ;)

Reactions: TestPilot
For the last 2 weeks my M3 SR+ has been displaying the message 'Corrective steering applied for your safety' when driving the same country lane I do twice a day to and from work. Its a fairly open road with raised banks either side and the car now thinks I am about to drive straight into them. As well as displaying this message the car beeps loudly and puts in slight steering input. I am in control, Tesla fix this please!!!
Have had the same experience here in Australia, since installing 2020.8.1. Country road without line markings. It thinks I am going off piste when I am well and truly still on the road. Happens on the same bits of rural road and only since the last update.. Will send bug reports from now on if I remember.

Reactions: to4garret
I've had this many times every time I've used the car since installing 2020.8.1, it's ridiculous, sometimes it goes off and wiggles the steering wheel when I'm driving on a perfectly strait bit of road.

I've been hitting bug report every time it does it and I have a service appointment open. I'd recommend everyone who's experiencing this schedule a service appointment too, if it starts costing Tesla resources in service they are more likely to prioritise a fix.

I do also have friends with Model 3 who are not experiencing this bug.

Upgraded to 2020.8.2 the other day...and first drive the corrective steering didn’t kick in where 8.1 was always doing it. So I think it’s better. The next day I got 8.3 and haven’t driven on it yet. Hopefully it didn’t go back to the way it was with 8.1

I have been getting this message fairly frequently in the last few weeks and I could not tell why it thought I was heading for trouble. I believe this has been since the last update. The frequency seems even more noticeable now since we are driving very little due to COVID-19 restrictions. (For those not in NJ or the Northeast, we are to drive only for essential activities and not after 8 or 9 PM).

I would prefer not to turn it off, as it could be helpful at times. I just hope I am not the bicyclist your M3 decides to turn into!

Just adding my 2 cents. I've started getting this on one small stretch of road - at the exact same place every time - next to my house. I recorded video of it to show I'm not departing the lane. This is definitely a bug with the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance that was introduced in a recent update. I reported the bug several times but who knows if it'll get fixed soon. Scares the bejeezus out of me and any passengers. No matter what speed I pass this area, it's triggered. I finally turned it off although I wish I didn't have to. But I drive this road every day. It's just past my house.

After viewing the video, does anyone think that the car could be seeing the right side of the road where the city buses can pull out of traffic to stop? Where that section of extra room ends, the curbing makes a 45 degree angle back into traffic to close that section off. Maybe the car sees that as a possible danger?

Reactions: HeatherW22
Just adding my 2 cents. I've started getting this on one small stretch of road - at the exact same place every time - next to my house. I recorded video of it to show I'm not departing the lane. This is definitely a bug with the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance that was introduced in a recent update. I reported the bug several times but who knows if it'll get fixed soon. Scares the bejeezus out of me and any passengers. No matter what speed I pass this area, it's triggered. I finally turned it off although I wish I didn't have to. But I drive this road every day. It's just past my house.

After viewing the video, does anyone think that the car could be seeing the right side of the road where the city buses can pull out of traffic to stop? Where that section of extra room ends, the curbing makes a 45 degree angle back into traffic to close that section off. Maybe the car sees that as a possible danger?

what sw version are you on? I haven’t gotten the corrective steering at all after 8.1. I believe it was a bug with 8.1.

Reactions: JimmyAZ and Flatbat
UPDATE: So I just got the update to 2020.12.5 and I can confirm it's no longer doing it. I've turned the feature on again and it drives that section just fine like it used to. On a positive note, the car can now visualize traffic cones and move around them!

Those of us that are in the UK, hopefully the next update for you also fixes how sensitive it is. Many thanks for all your updates here!

Reactions: Andy7
Sorry to drag this up but with FSDbeta, I think the corrective action is automatically engaged on start up. The irony for at least one of these annoying instances is when driving normally, it kicks in the 'Corrective steering applied for your safety' at precisely the point where FSDbeta messes up. FSDbeta's error is moving into a left turn lane instead of going straight. It generally realizes its error and goes straight.

p.s. when I see the 'Corrective steering applied for your safety' message, I never feel any indication the car has taken control of its path. With FSDbeta, it is pretty clear the car is in charge.