Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective steering ruining everything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As OP, I thought I’d just finish off this thread from my point of view.

At the start of September, I talked to another Tesla Service employee who sounded genuinely horrified at the fact that my ordering, driving and service experiences have all been absolute disasters. He repeated many times that he’d get the ball rolling on doing something about it, but I didn’t hold out much hope and sure enough I haven’t heard anything in the six or seven weeks since then. (Unsurprisingly, this visit to Tesla Service involved me paying for something that should have been free: to re-fasten a panel on the vehicle’s underside that the body shop had recently replaced. When I told the body shop it was falling off they told me I must have reversed over something and torn it off. Which was absolutely not the case. So I ended up paying anyway. But fortunately, because they’d simply forgotten to properly clip it in place, it only cost £150/$200.)

I’d also written to Tesla Europe and heard nothing, but it’s surprisingly difficult to figure out who’s in charge and where their office is, so perhaps it was opened and binned by someone in a different department. Or perhaps it got to its destination and no one was interested.

My Model S continues to give various corrective steering errors. Yesterday, for instance, it decided I was about to collide with another car, applied corrective steering and repeatedly sounded its very loud collision alarm. I couldn’t work out which car it thought was on a collision course to us because there was no one near and everyone was on the correct side of the road. Amusingly, earlier that day I’d come round a corner to find a big tractor hurtling towards me, taking up about 70% of the road. I had to drive up on the grass at the edge of the road in order to avoid stamping on the brakes too hard. My partner flinched, but the car for once was silent. And that’s been the case the other two times in the last 18 months that I’ve had a close-ish call. The car is silent for genuine problems and grabs the wheel when all is well. I worry for those who trust this software with their lives.

So, anyway, the summary is that I have given up. A few weeks ago I ordered a Jaguar I-Pace. The Jaguar sales people have been delightful. And they promised that if the Jaguar turns out to be a lemon (like my Model S did) they’ll fix it. I know that’s a meaningless thing for them to say, but actually having a human look me in the eye and promise to make things right was refreshing.

I love the idea behind Tesla. I believe they have, as Elon intended, brought forwards the transition to electric vehicles by a number of years. They’ve been a force for good. And from what I can tell, nearly all Tesla owners love driving their vehicles. But my experience has been so awful that I didn’t even trust the I-Pace I borrowed for a test drive because my Model S has conditioned me to think that electric cars are scary and not to be trusted. But after about four hours of being perfectly behaved, I began to trust the I-Pace and finally started to trust it - at which point I remembered how much I used to enjoy driving before I bought a Tesla.

At the start of September, I talked to another Tesla Service employee who sounded genuinely horrified at the fact that my ordering, driving and service experiences have all been absolute disasters. He repeated many times that he’d get the ball rolling on doing something about it, but I didn’t hold out much hope and sure enough I haven’t heard anything in the six or seven weeks since then. (Unsurprisingly, this visit to Tesla Service involved me paying for something that should have been free: to re-fasten a panel on the vehicle’s underside that the body shop had recently replaced. When I told the body shop it was falling off they told me I must have reversed over something and torn it off. Which was absolutely not the case. So I ended up paying anyway. But fortunately, because they’d simply forgotten to properly clip it in place, it only cost £150/$200.)

I’d also written to Tesla Europe and heard nothing, but it’s surprisingly difficult to figure out who’s in charge and where their office is, so perhaps it was opened and binned by someone in a different department. Or perhaps it got to its destination and no one was interested.

My Model S continues to give various corrective steering errors. Yesterday, for instance, it decided I was about to collide with another car, applied corrective steering and repeatedly sounded its very loud collision alarm. I couldn’t work out which car it thought was on a collision course to us because there was no one near and everyone was on the correct side of the road. Amusingly, earlier that day I’d come round a corner to find a big tractor hurtling towards me, taking up about 70% of the road. I had to drive up on the grass at the edge of the road in order to avoid stamping on the brakes too hard. My partner flinched, but the car for once was silent. And that’s been the case the other two times in the last 18 months that I’ve had a close-ish call. The car is silent for genuine problems and grabs the wheel when all is well. I worry for those who trust this software with their lives.

So, anyway, the summary is that I have given up. A few weeks ago I ordered a Jaguar I-Pace. The Jaguar sales people have been delightful. And they promised that if the Jaguar turns out to be a lemon (like my Model S did) they’ll fix it. I know that’s a meaningless thing for them to say, but actually having a human look me in the eye and promise to make things right was refreshing.

I love the idea behind Tesla. I believe they have, as Elon intended, brought forwards the transition to electric vehicles by a number of years. They’ve been a force for good. And from what I can tell, nearly all Tesla owners love driving their vehicles. But my experience has been so awful that I didn’t even trust the I-Pace I borrowed for a test drive because my Model S has conditioned me to think that electric cars are scary and not to be trusted. But after about four hours of being perfectly behaved, I began to trust the I-Pace and finally started to trust it - at which point I remembered how much I used to enjoy driving before I bought a Tesla.
Sad to hear this, but it certainly squares with many, many other reports, so I am neither surprised nor do I disagree with your action. I wish you the best with the iPace,

Sad to hear this, but it certainly squares with many, many other reports, so I am neither surprised nor do I disagree with your action. I wish you the best with the iPace,
Since the latest software update, my MYLR seems to have become much more "nervous." My driving habits haven't changed, and I'm not driving aggressively at all. It's like the phantom braking, except now it is beeping taking credit for avoiding some mishap when I am simply driving down the road!

I like Autopilot when I am cruising down a long stretch of highway, but I turn it off when a pack of cars wants to speed by or when I need to pass a truck. The car's newfound "nervousness" has made me nervous. I worry that it will either NOT move over when a truck's trailer encroaches into my lane, or that it will do something unpredictable such as throwing on the brakes at 75 mph while another vehicle is on my tail also trying to get by a big moving obstacle.

There are definitely idiots barreling down the highways, but careful people are still MUCH better predictors of what is about to happen. Cars still react too slowly and, therefore, too abruptly. A human can see a situation developing much further down the road and make adjustments that passengers won't even notice.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

My model 3 does similar things to those described here. I wish I could disable all "helpful" features permanently. Unfortunately can only be done for the current session. And if done while driving involves stretching to the far side of the touchscreen, not exactly safe. While parked in my garage at home it frequently indicates I am in a collision, or occasionally that a truck is presently sitting on top of the roof! Also the buying experience was far from easy. Tesla declared the car specs incorrectly to dvla, took almost a year to sort out. They have lost any further cars I may buy.