Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective steering ruining everything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joe mode lowers the volume, but as I have been using it ever since I got the car, I'm afraid to even think how loud the jingles would be without joe mode ;)

At least they should be directed to driver ears only and acoustically cancelled elsewhere as it's not like I need the jingles while sitting on the backseat.
Joe mode seems to lower the volume of turn signal chime and a few other noises, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on the volume of the "oh no you're about to crash" or "I'm confused, I give up, I hope you're paying attention cuz I'm not driving anymore for you" alarms.

Approximately 1000 miles 2021 M3P. Driven very enthusiastically on canyon roads, many overtakes, not one alarm.
Wow, that sounds amazing! Next you’re going to tell me that everything on the car works and the wind never makes a whistling sound as it blows through the panel gaps. If it’s OK, I might show your post to my local Service Centre and see if they have any comments.

I sympathize with you. Having only had my used Model S a bit more than a month I'm in the proverbial honeymoon phase still. I notice from time to time corrective steering kicks in. Its usually when my FSD has dropped abruptly and only one time I was driving a bit.....um aggressively. I find the driving assist features to be cumbersome and more work than just driving myself for sure. That part is easily clear. I haven't tried turning anything off yet but I will follow this thread with great interest as I move further along in my MS ownership. Thanks for posting and good luck with the user profile reset. Hopefully it works!

Reactions: warraqeen
I sympathize with you. Having only had my used Model S a bit more than a month I'm in the proverbial honeymoon phase still. I notice from time to time corrective steering kicks in. Its usually when my FSD has dropped abruptly and only one time I was driving a bit.....um aggressively. I find the driving assist features to be cumbersome and more work than just driving myself for sure. That part is easily clear. I haven't tried turning anything off yet but I will follow this thread with great interest as I move further along in my MS ownership. Thanks for posting and good luck with the user profile reset. Hopefully it works!
Thanks! I really appreciate it. It’s a puzzle to me that there isn’t what you might call a “full manual” mode that just puts the driver in sole control. How would anyone drive an S on a race track, for instance? The Road Departure warning would have a fit. As a kind of once-in-a-lifetime splurge I spent three times what I typically spend on a car when I bought my long range S (I usually buy a car that’s a couple of years old). But a bunch of things don’t work right or are badly made and no one at Tesla cares. Although to be fair, I never really tested out the repair service on my last two cars because neither of them ever developed a fault of any kind. They’d call me up to ask how things were (which I can’t picture Tesla doing) and I’d always say, “Perfect!”. Sigh. Anyway, I really hope yours behaves. If this thread has taught me anything, it’s that some Teslas are an absolute joy and some are sent to try us.

Reactions: HovFTW
Thanks! I really appreciate it. It’s a puzzle to me that there isn’t what you might call a “full manual” mode that just puts the driver in sole control. How would anyone drive an S on a race track, for instance? The Road Departure warning would have a fit. As a kind of once-in-a-lifetime splurge I spent three times what I typically spend on a car when I bought my long range S (I usually buy a car that’s a couple of years old). But a bunch of things don’t work right or are badly made and no one at Tesla cares. Although to be fair, I never really tested out the repair service on my last two cars because neither of them ever developed a fault of any kind. They’d call me up to ask how things were (which I can’t picture Tesla doing) and I’d always say, “Perfect!”. Sigh. Anyway, I really hope yours behaves. If this thread has taught me anything, it’s that some Teslas are an absolute joy and some are sent to try us.
I need to slightly correct that last grumpy rant. I’m still very disappointed in Tesla’s customer service, especially the buying process which was absolutely farcical in my case. But I’ve just learned that my local Service Centra have texted me twice in the recent past to let me know they’re on the case. It’s just that they had added the UK country code to my phone number twice, turning the number into nonsense, so I never got the messages. Not impressive, but I’d rather have a bit of incompetence than be ignored.

Reactions: HovFTW
Anyone technical know anything about how Tesla OTA diagnostics work? Apparently I need to provide an exact date & time for one of my unwanted alarms so the Service people can check the logs on my car to learn more. Seems reasonable, but it’s not really convenient for me to drive around waiting for an alarm before my service appointment this week (plus I’m limited in when I can use the car, i.e. not with certain passengers, because they don’t care to be freaked out any more). From what I can tell, the car should never be throwing Road Departure warnings if I’m not departing the road, so can’t they just dump the logs and search for a Road Departure event? It’s what I’d do if I were analysing LAN traffic rather than CAN Bus messages. I’ve been assuming that CAN Bus monitor/sniffer software is roughly similar to a network protocol analyser like, say, Wireshark. Have I got that wrong?

My M3 started to show the exact same behaviour a while ago. No AP or TACC active, I make a left tun and suddenly all hell breaks loose.

I don't think it's the camera calibration. If it was off, the car wouldn't drive perfectly centred on a straight road.

Since the problem only occurred a while ago and doesn't appear to be present anymore, I'm going to take a wild guess here: maybe it's software related. It definitely did happen while I was on 2021.4.15. Now I'm on 2021.4.18 and I haven't had the problem since the update. It didn't happen all the time though while I was on 2021.4.15, so maybe I'm just lucky that there has been no incident since the update.

It's worth a thought though that this might be just yet another software bug.

Anyone technical know anything about how Tesla OTA diagnostics work? Apparently I need to provide an exact date & time for one of my unwanted alarms so the Service people can check the logs on my car to learn more.
You can put the car in neutral and press the accelerator. A message will pop up askingbyou to put the car in gear. As long as you stay on the accelerator, there should also be the red triangle on the screen. Tap it and you should see all recent messages. Hopefully one of them will be the one saying something similar to "You're safe because I just scared the crap out of you when I took over for a moment. You're welcome." I believe those messages have a timestamp.

@warraqeen ,

Good Luck with getting your problem fixed.

Tesla service has told me that they need to know the day and time for incidents because the log files are extensive and it takes too much time to search them. Even if they can auto search for a road departure warning, they probably want to make sure the one they find is one that you object to as a false warning.

GSP

You can put the car in neutral and press the accelerator. A message will pop up askingbyou to put the car in gear. As long as you stay on the accelerator, there should also be the red triangle on the screen. Tap it and you should see all recent messages. Hopefully one of them will be the one saying something similar to "You're safe because I just scared the crap out of you when I took over for a moment. You're welcome." I believe those messages have a timestamp.
Oh, that’s sneaky! Sadly I just tried it and I was blocked at every turn. First problem: on the Model S that message appears on the display above the steering wheel, which isn’t a touch screen. But a bit of digging and it seems that those same warnings appear under Service/Notifications. But sadly that log of warnings has been spammed by another fault on my car. The key fob won’t unlock the car just be being present, you have to double-click it fairly regularly (and the Service Centre have failed on their first attempt to fix that). And sadly the log is full of messages posted every few minutes telling me I can’t drive the car without “authentication”. Great idea, though - and I’m glad your M3 is behaving now. Long may that continue.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
@warraqeen ,

Good Luck with getting your problem fixed.

Tesla service has told me that they need to know the day and time for incidents because the log files are extensive and it takes too much time to search them. Even if they can auto search for a road departure warning, they probably want to make sure the one they find is one that you object to as a false warning.

GSP
Really appreciate the kind words! Thanks! I think you’re exactly right that the logs are too extensive just to wade through. On the other hand, I don’t think anyone on this thread has mentioned getting a Road Departure warning. And I’ve certainly never come anywhere close to accidentally driving off the road. So I think it would be safe to grab any Road Departure warning they can find and treat it as a fault.

I only run into issues with the lane departure warnings when I have them enabled. If I turn them off in the settings, all warnings stop. I agree with the possible driver profile corruption. I turned the warnings on most of the time and notice that I get bugged from the car when not using my turn signal, even when pulling into my drive way. 🤣

Anyone technical know anything about how Tesla OTA diagnostics work? Apparently I need to provide an exact date & time for one of my unwanted alarms so the Service people can check the logs on my car to learn more. Seems reasonable, but it’s not really convenient for me to drive around waiting for an alarm before my service appointment this week (plus I’m limited in when I can use the car, i.e. not with certain passengers, because they don’t care to be freaked out any more). From what I can tell, the car should never be throwing Road Departure warnings if I’m not departing the road, so can’t they just dump the logs and search for a Road Departure event? It’s what I’d do if I were analysing LAN traffic rather than CAN Bus messages. I’ve been assuming that CAN Bus monitor/sniffer software is roughly similar to a network protocol analyser like, say, Wireshark. Have I got that wrong?
You could wait until it happens again then long press the car icon on the center console. After about 5 seconds, it will log a service message that the technician can then pull up. You may just need to tell them that was the date/time the recent road departure issue occurred. Hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I want to say first that I don’t use autopilot, self-driving or (after a few bad experiences) adaptive cruise control. So I’m not talking about those things. I’ve also turned off as many forms of driver assistance as I can (though of course several turn themselves back on every drive cycle).

I don’t often use my S (bought new in August) for an hour without the car taking control for a moment which I really hate. Road departure detected, corrective steering applied is the most common one. Though I do sometimes get an alarm and a tug on the steering without seeing a message (so far as I can tell, though it’s not always convenient to look). The car also thinks it’s saved me from hitting pedestrians and other cars from time to time, but at least in those cases there ARE actually cars and pedestrians, though I’ve never felt there was any danger. But at least one could argue the point, whereas with the road departure alarms, I’ve never felt I was in an unusual road position; certainly never in danger of driving off the edge. I suppose you could make a case that overtaking involves driving on the wrong side of the road, so maybe it’s a little more justified that the corrective steering often kicks in, but don’t most Tesla owners manage to overtake others without intervention from the vehicle?

I hate this behaviour and so do my passengers. I’m always waiting for the car to grab the wheel and I’ve gone from (I would say) a careful driver to a downright timid one. Whenever I read about Teslas being fast or handling well, I always wonder what other people do about the alarms that sound if you drive with any enthusiasm. Do they not bother other people? No one in reviews ever seems to mention them. Or am I unique in just wanting to be able drive the car without loud beeping and a brief disagreement over who’s in control. I’d love a version of the software where you could turn off every single driver-assistance feature and just operate the vehicle like a traditional car, i.e. if I steer it into a ditch, then that’s my fault and I’d gladly sign something to that effect if it meant I could keep control of the vehicle at all times.

How do others deal with this issue? I’ve also had quite a number of faults and build problems with mine from new (which I think might be unusual), and some truly dreadful customer support, particularly around the buying process, and I have to say I was a much, much bigger Tesla fan before I got my hands on one. I really mean this unsarcastically: why does everyone else but me seem to love their cars?
I hear you, man. We rented a Model X recently and I hated the car trying to drive for me.

I need to slightly correct that last grumpy rant. I’m still very disappointed in Tesla’s customer service, especially the buying process which was absolutely farcical in my case. But I’ve just learned that my local Service Centra have texted me twice in the recent past to let me know they’re on the case. It’s just that they had added the UK country code to my phone number twice, turning the number into nonsense, so I never got the messages. Not impressive, but I’d rather have a bit of incompetence than be ignored.
Ok good....maybe thats the start of a real solution. I hope it works out for you. I agree I was recently ignored on a few emails which incensed me. Of course, they finally responded with an answer that made things worse but I guess responding is progress. SMH.

I hear you, man. We rented a Model X recently and I hated the car trying to drive for me.
Thanks for that ! I have to say, I don’t really understand it from the marketing angle. If you try to sell a people-carrier to folks who find driving a chore and who just want safety, then a pushy car that interferes a lot might be fine. But if you make it look nice, make it fast, price it more like a sports car and tell people that it’s just as much fun as their old BMW then aren’t you asking for trouble if you put obstacles in the way of their driving enjoyment?

So what do you drive normally given that the Model X seemed annoying to you? (That’s assuming you’re happy to share; please ignore the question otherwise.)

You could wait until it happens again then long press the car icon on the center console. After about 5 seconds, it will log a service message that the technician can then pull up. You may just need to tell them that was the date/time the recent road departure issue occurred. Hope this helps!
That’s a great tip, thanks. I’ll definitely try that if tomorrow’s Service Centre visit doesn’t yield some results.

You mentioned problems with Lane Departure Warnings; do you ever get issues with Road Departure Detected warnings? Those seem to cause me the most trouble and be the most difficult to explain in terms why they happen.

Ok good....maybe thats the start of a real solution. I hope it works out for you. I agree I was recently ignored on a few emails which incensed me. Of course, they finally responded with an answer that made things worse but I guess responding is progress. SMH.
That’s very kind, thanks! And yes, problems are unavoidable, but if they’re combined with feeling ignored they become a real irritation. I happened to buy my car during the early days of lockdown and I guess Tesla were really short of staff for a while. I couldn’t get anyone on the phone and no one answered my e-mails. They took payment for a car, issued an invoice complete with VIN and then the day before I picked it up someone finally phoned... to tell me they’d lost the car: no idea where it was or when it might show up! Eventually they found a replacement, but now I’m wondering where they found it because it’s had a heap of faults - more than I think is typical, plus the whistling panel gaps really give the sense that it’s what they used to call a Friday Afternoon Special.

Anyway, thanks again for the good wishes. I’ve got my fingers crossed for tomorrow’s Service Centre visit. I even got another text this morning telling me that because Tesla take my safety during the pandemic very seriously they won’t be vacuuming my car before they give it back. What more proof could I ask for that they really do care? ;)

But to be serious for a moment, they’re also lending me a courtesy car so I might finally have a chance to experience driving a fault-free Tesla. Now that’s something I genuinely am excited about.

That’s a great tip, thanks. I’ll definitely try that if tomorrow’s Service Centre visit doesn’t yield some results.

You mentioned problems with Lane Departure Warnings; do you ever get issues with Road Departure Detected warnings? Those seem to cause me the most trouble and be the most difficult to explain in terms why they happen.
I don't recall any road departure warnings but I honestly don't look that closely when they come up. I am sure I have gotten one or two before.

I did try and recreate your issue this morning when I was on the road and no one was around. My car didn't send any warnings but it may have been because it noticed pressure on the wheel while I was approaching or crossing over the lines on the road.