Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correlation of Actual Mileage Driven vs Battery Discharge

Arif

Jan 2, 2019
Arlington VA
So yesterday I drove about 80 odd actual miles (70% highway, 30% in the city).

My battery mileage showed a consumption discharge of 145 miles to account for the 80 actual miles. This relates to just a 55% usage efficiency.

Is this range common for others? Yes, I realize that 279 miles on a 90% battery SOC will not translate to 279 actual miles. But a 55% correlation seems quite low. I've never seen this much loss in an ICE car. When the short range M3 gets released those cars will get what? 100 actual miles before depletion?

Second point: we are paying for SC fees based on time at the charger. Each minute we are buying miles but these miles disappear either overnight (vampire drain), or via this mileage lost. So our actual cost of mileage at the SC is much higher for actual miles - I wonder how close it's getting to get to gas pump prices!

Driving conditions for me yday: Temps were nearly 50F, no real elevation changes, and mostly at speed limit speeds.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
So yesterday I drove about 80 odd actual miles (70% highway, 30% in the city).

My battery mileage showed a consumption discharge of 145 miles to account for the 80 actual miles. This relates to just a 55% usage efficiency.

Is this range common for others? Yes, I realize that 279 miles on a 90% battery SOC will not translate to 279 actual miles. But a 55% correlation seems quite low. I've never seen this much loss in an ICE car. When the short range M3 gets released those cars will get what? 100 actual miles before depletion?

Second point: we are paying for SC fees based on time at the charger. Each minute we are buying miles but these miles disappear either overnight (vampire drain), or via this mileage lost. So our actual cost of mileage at the SC is much higher for actual miles - I wonder how close it's getting to get to gas pump prices!

Driving conditions for me yday: Temps were nearly 50F, no real elevation changes, and mostly at speed limit speeds.

There are a LOT of threads on this. I'd recommend poking around to see what you can learn.

Not really enough information to say whether there is something "wrong" (but probably there is not).

Over what time period was the 145 rated miles counted? From the start of drive to the end of the drive, or since your last charge? If since the last charge, how long had it been since that charge?

Did you spend any time sitting in park before or after driving the car, before logging the miles. Were you using the HVAC?

Which vehicle type (RWD/AWD)? I know it's not an MR. What tires? Aeros? What tire pressure?

Was it raining?

Really would be good to see the trip meter so you could determine average speed & in-vehicle recorded efficiency (this does not count energy used while in park BTW).

What you're seeing isn't that unusual.

The most efficient drivers, in the RWD vehicle, should expect around 220Wh/mi driving, but about 290Wh/mi expense (wall-to-wheel), assuming 10k miles driven per year, and assuming charging at home (will be slightly better at SC due to no on-board charger loss which is a few %). That's assuming no HVAC use at all. With HVAC, it's not hard to get up over 450Wh/mi in winter time, wall-to-wheel, driving efficiently, 10k miles per year.

In winter time getting 100 miles from the SR vehicle will not be that uncommon, as that is possible in extreme conditions and the right use pattern with the LR today. It's just physics.

You don't see as big a hit in an ICE vehicle because they get their cabin heat for essentially free.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC