Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrosion around Roadster axles - advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to fix this rust:

Plainsboro-20130612-01351.jpg

Any suggestions? I know this is not Roadster-specific but given that it's almost the only visible corrosion on a Roadster, maybe someone came up with a fix. I'm comfortable taking the wheels off and painting the exposed metal if that's what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

I want to fix this rust:

View attachment 23613

Any suggestions? I know this is not Roadster-specific but given that it's almost the only visible corrosion on a Roadster, maybe someone came up with a fix. I'm comfortable taking the wheels off and painting the exposed metal if that's what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

I just sprayed the hub the and the caliper with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I didn't worry about the overspray on the disc. It looks great! It looks to me like you might have a crack in your hub? I would take a close look at that.

I just sprayed the hub the and the caliper with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I didn't worry about the overspray on the disc. It looks great!

Thanks - will try that. From a quick googling it sounds perfect.

It looks to me like you might have a crack in your hub? I would take a close look at that.

I noticed that in the photo too but didn't know what to make of it. Will take a look when I'm back at the car later. Thanks for the suggestion!

Best Regards

That's not the axle. That's the brake rotor "hat" that is rusty. All iron rotors will rust; the friction surface in particular gets rusty immediately after getting wet, but the rust scrapes right off when the brakes are applied. The hat, however, will take some elbow grease to remove. Or you can replace them and watch the new ones rust right away.

I want to fix this rust:

View attachment 23613

Thanks in advance.

I had this problem with my old classic car.
I used a brass wire brush on the end of a drill to remove the rust. (Wear Glasses!)
I then painted the areas that rust with an zinc rich anti-rust paint that was grey in colour.
One they were fitted it wiped off from the friction surface so you don't even have to be very neat.
I'm not near the old car now as I keep it at my holiday house, but can post images next week-end.

So I bought some G2 caliper paint and studied the You Tube for proper training on various techniques and procedures for painting the calipers and the area around the axle that rusts. Still waiting for my Lotus flat ended rubber coated jack stands from Sector 111 then... The adventure will begin! I'll post pics!

IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
When I painted I taped around the caliper and around the hub so I could screw up a little. G2 was easy to use but it was brush on and required several coats. The last coats I applied were done as the garage was heating up and they dried too quickly leaving streaks that I see but nobody else would. If I did it again I would definitely do more taping and use a spray on the hubs. Dupli Color is a spray I think and has a nice color selection. I would still brush on paint for the calipers...... potential for major mess otherwise ... at least in my hands.:scared:

Next up: Water seal under the doors!!!