Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrupted USB in 2019.5.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the update this afternoon. No issues with the dashcam USB. I tested the Sentry Mode by bumping on the window. The driver’s side camera on fender (new left repeater) captured me walking up to the car and bumping the window. No problem with the USB.

The new update adds Recent and Saved folders under the TeslaCam folder. It also adds the Left Repeater and Right Repeater camera files to the existing Front camera file.

Just curious, what are the specs of your USB drive?

I had a similar issue after update as well with a 128GB drive. Nothing but grey x after formatting quick and full with guiformat. I decided to try partitioning following instructions here but ran into issues there too where I had trouble just deleting the volume. I ended up having to use diskpart with the clean command.

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK #
CLEAN

I then created a 32GB partition. It then started working... I'm not sure what really fixed it - the cleaning or partitioning it...

Thank you, I'll give this a try.

I purchased a Samsung 883 DCT SATA SSD off Amazon, it was 480 GB for $119, they had 240 GB for around $86. This is an enterprise SSD with power loss protection built it. I’m putting it in a USB 3.1 10Gb enclosure that is USB C but has a C to A cable with it to plug into the car, when I plus it into my PC I will have full SATA speed.

Although my existing Samsung USB flash drive has not failed writing it does have file system errors every time I check it in my PC so I’m hoping this fixes that issue.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Data_Center_SSD_883_DCT.Product_Brief.pdf

Data integrity is critical to data center SSD. The 883 DCT is safeguarded with end-to-end data protection to ensure consistency over the entire data transfer path and prevents data corruption in case of power failure with power loss protection.

Reactions: lee619
I had a similar issue after update as well with a 128GB drive. Nothing but grey x after formatting quick and full with guiformat. I decided to try partitioning following instructions here but ran into issues there too where I had trouble just deleting the volume. I ended up having to use diskpart with the clean command.

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK #
CLEAN

I then created a 32GB partition. It then started working... I'm not sure what really fixed it - the cleaning or partitioning it...

I can confirm this fixed my USB corruption issue. Well now see how long this fix lasts!

So I checked mine, the red light on the camera was still going. I ejected the USB and can see the files and they play so I think all is good. This is just a cheapo 32gb SanDisk from Target that I'm using. I have files from Front, left and right and they all work. it's interesting, I have a "saved" session from after I parked at Target with all 3 cameras going. Didn't see anyone get close to my car so I'm wondering why it saved the footage.

i too had the corrupted drive issue. it's like going back in time to when the dashcam feature first came out. mine seemed to corrupt every 3 or 4 days until i finally stopped caring and waiting for the next update which thankfully fixed the issue. i'm not complaining about the free updates just annoying they haven't worked out the bugs yet.

GPT has redundancy and advanced error checking while MBR does not. If you do not want to lose your data when corruption occurs GPT is the safer bet.
Since I use Windows to repair my media I will reference the Windows GPT FAQ. It is a long read but it is useful for people that want to know. If someone knows of a decent Linux GPT FAQ that would apply please post it.

Windows and GPT FAQ

GPT disks use primary and backup partition tables for redundancy and CRC32 fields for improved partition data structure integrity.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
With 2019.5.4 my cam seems to be breaking daily. I also have 2 FAT32 partitions on my drive. Prior the first corruption there was 3.8 GB in use on the 4GB partition. Now corruption seems to have happen after each drive. After the first release with the camera it has been solid until this update.

With 2019.5.4 my cam seems to be breaking daily. I also have 2 FAT32 partitions on my drive. Prior the first corruption there was 3.8 GB in use on the 4GB partition. Now corruption seems to have happen after each drive. After the first release with the camera it has been solid until this update.

Why do you only have a 4GB partition??

2019.8.3 model 3 - one more time the corrupted USB issue (mine is a partitioned USB drive) - is this happening to folks without a partitioned USB? Just trying to gather data. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this issue (lexar 32 gb drive).