Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrupted USB in 2019.5.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several days and lots of driving with 8.5 I've not had any corrupted USB even with the update from 8.4 to 8.5 - Either they fixed something OR it has to do with the fact I got rid of the partition (prev 16GB for music and 16GB for cam) and made it a whole 32GB for the teslacam

This thread has been ongoing for a while, but I didn't see anyone asking.mentioning this yet: how do you guys come to a conclusion that USB stick is toast? When you unplug it to see the video or it just stops recording by itself?

If the latter one, do you press and hold the recording icon for a few seconds (until the red dot disappears) before removing the device? This is the correct way of disconnecting, to ensure the data can be written back and recording stopped. Similar to safely remove hardware" in Windows.

I've had 2 USB sticks that have become flaky after being used as a tesla cam and the dreaded grey "X". On several systems they won't post or be recognized even under disk management. I thought it was just me but there may be something to this causing irreversible damage to the USB. EDIT: After much trial and error I got both sticks to be recognized and immediately reformatted them and they seem to be behaving after that. I had to "jiggle' both of them in the USB slot to work. They're relatively new lexar jump drives but after formatting they seem to be OK? wierd.......

This last time I went several weeks without the dreaded grey X on a 32GB drive. I'm going to try an unpartitioned 128GB sandisk this time....maybe just swap it with a spare whenever the "X" raises its head.

Last edited:
I popped a brand new stick into my S on Wednesday. Yesterday (Saturday), I got back in the car and the icon and my music was gone. I never pulled the stick out from the first insertion. The only thing I can think of is that yesterday afternoon I hopped in the car and the screens were dead. Took about 2 minutes before the car finally powered up for me. Maybe something in that process screwed the drive up.

As for my definition of dead, the car doesn't recognize it, and when I put it in my computer, it's only recognized for a short period of time before disappearing. Can't even get it live long enough to do formatting or partitioning.

The internal drive initially promised would solve a lot of these problems Tesla :(

Newbie here; thanks for all the good feedback on the best USB drive. I decided to go a bit overkill and installed the following today (500GB NVMe M.2 SSD with USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPFT91M
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2WBKXF

I added some electrical tape to stop the enclosure rattling people complained about. I formatted to GPT/FAT32, created the TeslaCam folder and was able to retrieve video after turning on Setry mode for a while. I know the Tesla can't make use of the faster USB 3.1/NVMe speeds (theoretical max 10Gb/s or 1.25GB/s), but my computer can and worse case if it doesn't work well I figure I have a decent external drive to carry around. Will keep the group posted on how well it works over time.