Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corvette Z06 vs. Model 3 Performance comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice vid! Wondering when you bought yours, you mention price @ $77K?

You're right - it was a slightly inflated cost - really as stated on my order agreement from October of this year, it was $66,290. Add the finance charge and that comes up to $70,693 over the life of the loan. But then I am having the entire car wrapped in Xpel, I got a wall charger (and had it professionally installed), and some other miscellaneous - yet in my opinion critical - add-ons like a wireless charger for my phone, memory card for sentry mode, vinyl to protect the piano gloss interior, seat protectors, car seats for my kids, etc. etc. etc. so for *me* it's about a $77k initial investment. I should have made that more clear, and will do so in a follow up video :)

Congrats and nice work on the video. I hope to be walking in your shoes in the next month or two. Maybe I'll make a video on it too. Enjoy, can't wait to join you in the Tesla acceleration grin hall of fame :)

Reactions: GuyQ
Nice vid, Congrats!

I’m a recent convert from a special order F80 M3. Like you, that was a bucket list car for me and I will miss it. But I’m looking forward to new experiences in the the P3.

Enjoy in good health!

Reactions: GuyQ
Haha what a small world, i went from a C7 z06 to a model 3 dual motor. I daily drove mine including the winter. I had snow tires and specifically loved taking it out during snow storms. I also had the suspension on the lowest setting.

Here are the reasons i got rid of mine:
  1. Going through $1200-$1500 in tires every 5k miles
  2. Driving on unknown roads and Anxiety from being soo low (even though i am used to cars with low clearance)
  3. 10 mpg all day
  4. It had the dreaded auto instead of the manual
The model 3 is definitely does not have the raw mechanical grip and well tuned suspension compared to the z06. But it was comparable to the the BMW M4 i used to have in terms of handling (a little less mechanical grip due to thinner tires). The funny thing is that i always thought the amazing exhaust noise was the thing i would miss the most when switching to a Tesla. I don't miss the sound at all but funny enough miss the quiet interior of the z06 compared to the model 3. Yes, a 2 door sports car with a removable roof was soo much quieter at highway speeds than a model 3.

Reactions: afadeev
Like how you called your U.A.S. a quad copter. People calling things that they are not is annoying and confusing.
I *think* you are being serious here, if so, then thanks, and I agree. I don't call them drones or UAVs or UASs, quadcopter feels the most correct, sometimes I'll call them racing quads but then people assume I mean ATV's... Anywho, whatever they are called, it's great fun :)

Similar story here. I traded my 2019 C7 Grand Sport vert with 7 speed manual for a Model 3 Performance back in May. I thought I was nuts, but as you mentioned while the Corvette offers an incredible visceral experience by rowing your own gears and listening to the roar of the V8 soundtrack through the dual mode exhaust, the Model 3 Performance delights in other ways. The Model 3 is a better all around vehicle for most of our situations. It just seems to do a lot of things really well.

I pulled the trigger on the M3P+ when I saw the C8 announced as well as its pricing. Luckily, Tesla gave me top dollar for my trade so it didn’t cost me much to make the swap.

I am not sure about you but some of the things I wish the Model 3 Performance had are:

1. Sportier seats with better bolstering. A car with this level of performance should offer performance seats.
2. Magride suspension. The suspension in the Model 3 is decent but this should be one of the glaring differences you notice between the Z06. At the M3P price point, I think an adaptive suspension should have been included.
3. Heads Up Display - it has a Track Mode co-developed by Randy Pobst, but it lacks a HUD or any Track lap counter or recorder. With all these cameras you would think they could write an app, maybe in the future.
4. Some sort of 2 speed gearing so it had better top end pull. Don’t get me wrong the M3P is a beast but as you mentioned the power delivery is disproportionate. It pulls like a beast to 60mph or so but the lack of gearing up top enables the high horsepower ICE based vehicles to chase it down in the 1/4mile. You would probably agree that while the Z06 can technically hit 0-60mph in 2.95 sec, no one really can achieve that since they can’t put the power down. However, the Z06 in manual will cross the 1/4 mile in low 11s and the auto will break into the high 10s. The Z is a beast once you hook up. That said, the Model 3 has more usable power on the street down low and it darts ahead like nothing else thanks to its instant torque.

I have had the car about 7 months now and really enjoy it. I think it will be really hard to ever go back to an ICE based vehicle at this point. I look forward to seeing some true sports car EVs hit the market. Lighter weight, better handling, sportier interiors, convertible tops, etc. It is great to be alive and experience this transition in the auto industry.

I may be doing the opposite here.... Currently have a 2018 Model 3 Performance with the PUP (P3D+) and I was considering a C8 in addition to the Tesla. If there was a current EV for sale with only two seats, I would definitely consider it.....

I may be doing the opposite here.... Currently have a 2018 Model 3 Performance with the PUP (P3D+) and I was considering a C8 in addition to the Tesla. If there was a current EV for sale with only two seats, I would definitely consider it.....

The C8 is probably the only non EV that has tempted me recently but then I think about the lack of practicality (for those of us with a family) and the fact that it burns gas and it is a no go.

2. Magride suspension. The suspension in the Model 3 is decent but this should be one of the glaring differences you notice between the Z06. At the M3P price point, I think an adaptive suspension should have been included.

Almost forgot about the Magride. It is was soo amazing. Even with the car on the lowest ride height, road imperfections were tuned out soo perfectly. There is a reason Ferrari buys these from GM. I also had the $350 mag ride software update and it was amazing.

Reactions: Common_Loon