Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost Anxiety Mitigation Program (CAMP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have decided to cancel my Model X reservation and to lease a Volt for 36 months (the lease deal is really sweet) and so in September of 2015 I'll have the option of Gen III (if it launches on time), Model X 1.5 or AWD Model S 2.0.

I'll be paying $350 per month for the Volt ($0 down) and saving $200 per month in gasoline since I can charge at work and therefore spend almost all my time in EV mode.

You can keep the reservation anyway. Really fun to follow along with a vested interest. Nutty thought but not kidding. You may want the X in 2 years and you can defer configuration and delivery for a year. Enjoy the volt. Drives nicely. Why they split the back seat w the battery dunno but I have three kids and can't put them all in the car!

For anyone test driving the Volt, be sure to put the car in "L" gear, Sport Mode. Makes a huge diffeence, and you won't get an authentic taste of its "zippy" feel unless you do so. This does NOT reduce EV range--- many owners claim it increases it due to more aggressive "regen on throttle lift."

For anyone who is nervous about the Model S price and/or other uncertainties, I think a 3 year lease of a Volt might be an excellent alternative. Note that Ally Financial (majority owned by Uncle Sam) provided VERY VERY attractive lease terms.

But, make no mistake, the Volt is not in the same league as the Model S. I would describe it a the Luxury trim level of a mid-priced sedan. More of an Accord EX than a Mercedes E-class, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I have a Volt and love it, but I don't suspect many people will be cross-shopping it against the Model S....

#4 is harsher than I would take it. I think there are right situations for all of these cars (except maybe the Coda), and we just need to match our needs up with the cars.
Too harsh, I agree.
In fact I don't know why you don't test drive a LEAF when your out driving the Volt. It seems your number one goal is drive an EV and I think you indicated the Volt 40 mi range is sufficient. I would lease a LEAF in that situation. Some of the deals a very good; as low as $279 for a 2012. You're in O.C., not Phoenix; don't sweat the battery if it's a 3 year lease.
I almost bought a Volt, now have almost 20k mi on my LEAF and it has been the perfect car for a 30 mi daily commute -- and made my wife fall in love with the idea of an EV. In fact, she's pretty much taken it over. Now when I tell her I'm about to pull the trigger on the Model S reservation, the world's best EV / best car; she totally gets it (but I won't be giving up the keys so easily next time).
If you can swing it, keep the $5k in play with Tesla. You might find enough savings after 2 years to order a Model X for your hardware store hauling needs. EVs are way cool and way fun. You're right to want one. I've saved about $4k, in gas alone, so far. But, I don't try to pencil it out. I know with a Model S I'm paying for the id as well as the ego.

Too harsh, I agree.
In fact I don't know why you don't test drive a LEAF when your out driving the Volt. It seems your number one goal is drive an EV and I think you indicated the Volt 40 mi range is sufficient. I would lease a LEAF in that situation. Some of the deals a very good; as low as $279 for a 2012. You're in O.C., not Phoenix; don't sweat the battery if it's a 3 year lease.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had a reservation in for a Leaf before they launched and test drove it at the OC Auto Show a couple of years ago. It had the EV spunk for sure, and has easily double the EV range of the Volt.

My hangup with the Leaf (and the Ford Focus EV for that matter) is that it feels really small to me on the inside. Some have said that they think the Leaf feels no smaller than a Prius, but that's not my perception. My working theory for the Volt is that we sell the 2005 Prius and the Volt becomes my daily driver for the next 3(ish) years until the GenIII comes out. At that point, we sell the 2008 Prius and buy a GenIII. The Volt becomes the wife's daily driver and the family road trip car. The Leaf can't transition itself into the RoadTrip car.

Of course, it's possible that things like the Tesla SuperCharger network will reduce/eliminate the need for a road trip car, but I think we're a ways away from that. I'm also following the guy that's driving across the country in a Model S, so I could be off on this score. Only time will tell.

I may stop by the Nissan dealer and take a Leaf for a quick spin to see if my impression has changed with them.

-Chris

Chris,
See if you can test drive a RAV4 EV. You get Tesla tech, and all the space you need for trips to the hardware store. I've read that acceleration is really good. I imagine resale would be excellent. Or lease it and justify the lease cost by the fuel savings. Plus you get over 100 miles range.

Chris,
See if you can test drive a RAV4 EV. You get Tesla tech, and all the space you need for trips to the hardware store. I've read that acceleration is really good. I imagine resale would be excellent. Or lease it and justify the lease cost by the fuel savings. Plus you get over 100 miles range.

David, I'm actually sitting in a RAV4EV that I rented from my local Toyota dealer. I started a post in the general EV forum with my thoughts on this very cool car. Here's the link: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10518-Extended-test-drive-of-Toyota-RAV4-EV

I drove the Rav4ev when they brought the tour to Sacramento, and I can say that I do really like this car. I own a Leaf and this car is WAY better than the Leaf. 10kW onboard charger, 41kWh pack (real world 100 miles). Very nice riding car and it should feel very familiar on the inside if you own a Prius. If I did not already have a Leaf, I'd jump at this car. But already having a Leaf and wanting to replace both my Leaf and my Prius with the Model S85 is my plan. If your not wanting the Model S then this is the best alternative going right now.

I own the best of both worlds . . . 2012 Chevy Volt and 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV. Both are truly great energy efficient cars. For a family man with pets, etc, the RAV4 is the clear choice, but the Volt is my choice strictly for short range commuting. I've had mine for three months, driven it ~2000 miles and NEVER filled the tank! The RAV4 more recently acquired is my weekend grocery getter car. My wife uses it to take our two dogs to the park every day. It has all the "good stuff" with the Tesla 41.8kWh batter pack and the no excuses, haulin ass, torquey drivetrain. It's like driving its evil twin when the I/P turns "RED". :wink:

Two outstanding, immensely more practical EVs for the price of one fully loaded Model S. Not too mention $19,000 in buying incentives if you live in California! It just don't get any better than this! :biggrin:

I own the best of both worlds . . . 2012 Chevy Volt and 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV. Both are truly great energy efficient cars. For a family man with pets, etc, the RAV4 is the clear choice, but the Volt is my choice strictly for short range commuting. I've had mine for three months, driven it ~2000 miles and NEVER filled the tank! The RAV4 more recently acquired is my weekend grocery getter car. My wife uses it to take our two dogs to the park every day. It has all the "good stuff" with the Tesla 41.8kWh batter pack and the no excuses, haulin ass, torquey drivetrain. It's like driving its evil twin when the I/P turns "RED". :wink:

Two outstanding, immensely more practical EVs for the price of one fully loaded Model S. Not too mention $19,000 in buying incentives if you live in California! It just don't get any better than this! :biggrin:

I'm glad that this works for you :)
I'm waiting for my Model S as I drive 19000 miles a year and can't stand the thought of still using my ICE (even though I enjoy my trusty Acura TSX from 2004 that has 153,000 miles on it and not much in the way of problems). The Leaf wont do the distance and I was (am) waiting for an all electric alternative...

Chris, There are many reason not to drive electric and you lined them up nicely. The only try electric car is from Tesla. The Model S is an awesome car. We have it since October and we made it happen to finance the car. We had to support a US company and the one how are only producing electric cars. For us there was no option to say "no". You really missed a super car if you did not take it.

Chris, There are many reason not to drive electric and you lined them up nicely. The only try electric car is from Tesla. The Model S is an awesome car. We have it since October and we made it happen to finance the car. We had to support a US company and the one how are only producing electric cars. For us there was no option to say "no". You really missed a super car if you did not take it.
My comments were on intended as an argument against EVs, but rather a commentary on my quest to find the right one for me and for my family.

I purchased the Rav4EV in mid November and it has been a mostly positive experience. Forums like this one and MyRav4EV.com have been particularly helpful as Toyota's dealerships have proven to be staffed with numerous helpful people that are often poorly informed or misinformed.

My half breed tesla is a great to drive and I'm looking forward the the "Gen3" in the next couple of years.

-Chris