Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost (charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One to think about. When the CMA did it’s market study (Final report) it used estimates of £7m to put a new supply into a single MSA. Might be worth finding out what agreements are being handed out to get access to the Road Charging Fund. If they’re loans and not grants, then the cost will have to come through at the pump.

Edit: The rapid charging fund will be available to fund ‘a portion of costs’ for ‘open’ charge points. i.e. If Tesla wants to access the fund, it has to open the network at that site. Let’s hope Gridserve join Tesla at every MSA.
I’m pretty sure you’re not referring to the Country Music Association but all the acronyms are not immediately familiar to everyone. (e.g me!)

Thanks for the above posts explaining. I am asking these questions because I genuinely don't know and I want to know and I believed that forums were and are appropriate place to ask and have been a bit surprised at some replies suggesting I stop asking on here and ask google instead. By the bye to be sure I have the answer to this one and put this one to bed . . .

The car tells you how many miles are in the battery. When you plug it into your 7.4kwh charger at home does that mileage shown in the car increase by (7.4 x 4) 29.6 miles every hour

Yes, it shows the mph charging rate whenever you plug it in to any charger.

This week has been first long run for me, and have tried public Type 2 charger with own lead, Tesla SC and three pin plug at home and now have full confidence of how it’s done.

My home charge rate is 10mph (2kw).

I don't care a jot about "costs" per se, getting this car is not a "save the planet" or save costs thing. Like most new car purchases in the UK mine is a company car and all the running costs/insurance/charging etc are billed to the company. The total cost of the car is written down against company profit this year to reduce corporation tax. The personal tax BIK is massively reduced to about £450 this year and £900 next year - instead of the multiple thousands per year if my own car was a company vehicle (Merc S Class) so that is directly relevant to costs as if it were much more then I would not have been getting this car at all.

It will also replace a lot of hire car use as I regularly hired vehicles for longer journeys rather than use my own car and claim mileage.

I don't care a jot about "costs" per se, getting this car is not a "save the planet" or save costs thing. Like most new car purchases in the UK mine is a company car and all the running costs/insurance/charging etc are billed to the company. The total cost of the car is written down against company profit this year to reduce corporation tax. The personal tax BIK is massively reduced to about £450 this year and £900 next year - instead of the multiple thousands per year if my own car was a company vehicle (Merc S Class) so that is directly relevant to costs as if it were much more then I would not have been getting this car at all.

It will also replace a lot of hire car use as I regularly hired vehicles for longer journeys rather than use my own car and claim mileage.
It looks to me that you care a whole lot about costs! A big tax bill counts as costs in my book ... and you've successfully reduced yours bigtime. Let's hope the tax gap is filled by alternative taxes on things more environmentally damaging than an EV.

Perhaps just a different perspective on where the costs fall, and I was just stating a view on Irata's question on costs/reasons.

I have not reduced my costs at all, having the EV has increased my personal costs. I would not have taken the car at all if the personal tax bill was considerably larger (as with an ICE) and so the company would not have bought it (I have a deciding say in the purchase).

There is no "green environmental" angle to having this EV it as it is just another car, I still own and run my own car. It effectively costs me £450 to have it as a company car as all other costs fall to the company, I just would not be running an ICE as a company vehicle and never have done so. I don't mind that £450 spend as it is cheaper than some of my other expensive habits!

The chancellor will have his work cut out generating income over the next few years as this EV purchase is a fair chunk of lost corporation tax and share dividend taxation as those profits are not distributed this year and some fuel duty losses, and if other firms are doing the same (the incentive is to encourage the take up of pure EV's after all) there will just be a larger hole in public finances.

Electricity is still very cheap...

My M3 LR was bought to replace a Mercedes AMG C63: similar performance and space, but not AWD.

To put 290 miles of range into my M3 LR, assuming 10% in the battery, would need me to charge to 85%: effectively 75% of the battery to be charged. This presently costs me, at home, about £8.50. At a Supercharger at £0.40 / kwh it would be £22.50.

To put 290 miles of range into my C63 at 25mpg (and I’m being kind) needed £81.00 worth of premium unleaded, assuming £1.55/litre.

So, for electricity to equal petrol the rate would have to rise to £1.45/kwh…. A 10X increase.

If its cost your interested in buy a Tesla cash! I am on my 3rd Model 3 now.........so far zero depreciation, zero supercharger costs as it has been within my 1000 free miles a year.....zero servicing costs.......greatly reduced electricity costs for the whole house and 2 electric cars as I have the TEP, zero road tax, zero queuing at petrol stations over past few weeks.

If its cost your interested in buy a Tesla cash! I am on my 3rd Model 3 now.........so far zero depreciation, zero supercharger costs as it has been within my 1000 free miles a year.....zero servicing costs.......greatly reduced electricity costs for the whole house and 2 electric cars as I have the TEP, zero road tax, zero queuing at petrol stations over past few weeks.
Although, once Tesla have finished the snags on the first car you have to repeat the process on the next one. Grrrr.