Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost estimate to car haul Model S across the country via semi. Like from NY to LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.mcnutttransport.com - only open transport

Reliable Carriers, Inc. | Vehicles Taken Seriously. - these guys have been hit or miss for us in the past (against what their name would suggest)

Plycar Transportation Group - the group with a driver most likely to have transported a Model S in the past

Intercity Lines, Inc. - I have had success with this group in the past

Auto Transport Company | DAS | Dependable Auto Shippers - used back in 2003, they didn't deliver exactly the way they said they would and moved my vehicle onto 3 different trucks before finally delivering my vehicle to me on an open flatbed.

Best of luck with your search!

Reactions: CarShipCarrier
Going to depend alot on the level of service you are looking for. The cheapest will be open carriers with alot of flexibility in dates for pickup and delivery. Most expensive will be enclosed nonstacking trucks, especially since they generally deliver faster and carry fewer cars.

I know many people give crap to brokers in the auto transport industry. Most of the complaints have merit... however, we are all not bad. I own a car shipping brokerage company called Car Shipping Carriers. I personally purchased a 2013 Tesla Model S the beginning of August 2016 from the Tesla.com store and had it shipped using my brokerage to find a hauler. It ended up costing me $1200 from Seattle, WA to Tampa, FL on an enclosed hauler. It was a hard side enclosed hauler too.

The other companies listed above my post are great companies and I have used them quite a few times to move vehicles for customers, but there are others out there who are smaller companies (maybe own one or two haulers) that are hungry for business as well. Normally these smaller companies don't have the means as a Plycar or McNutt to get customer referrals to stay in business. These companies will rely on brokers to generate them business. That is just how 90% of this industry in ran.

Depending on the time of year you ship the car from NY to CA, you can find an enclosed hauler to transport it for as low as $1500 all the way to $2250.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and deonb