Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, hopefully so. It sucks driving the ICE rental cars I've gotten so far. Really makes me miss my car. However, at the same time -- I can't say I'd buy any aluminum car/Model S again due to the difficulty getting parts, high repair costs, and overall repair process. Maybe with the model 3 many of these issues will be alleviated. It will be interesting to see what the new model 3 owners experience with accidents.
I don't think this has to do with the car being aluminium. Service King has guys that do work and it's not even 2x the hourly rate (see their rates in the lobby next time you're there). Parts availability is not affected by aluminium or steel, it's all on the manufacturer, in this case Tesla.

With relatively low volumes, Tesla's tight control of not allowing secondary market pars, and the fact that cars chance so fast (every 2 weeks according to Elon), it is less likely that a secondary parts manufacturer will fill in the gap any time soon. When you get an exotic, hand-made car, you're stuck waiting for parts but at least there are not a lot of people waiting as they don't sell a lot. When you have a mass market car, they only change every 4 years or so and have the market size to justify a parts supply chain and secondary part sources (often same parts are used in different models too). Tesla is the worst of the two world, they make custom, ever-changing/no-two-alike cars at a 50K per year volume which creates a line of people waiting for custom parts but not long enough of a line for the industry to create a solution it could profit on. Similar story with the expertise to estimate and fix them. With the cars changing so fast, it takes a lot to keep up to date on it. Service King has one expert for Teslas.

no welded parts and low impact so unlikely there is subframe damage. I'd be suprised if there was anything more than a 500 supplement.
I
I don't think this has to do with the car being aluminium. Service King has guys that do work and it's not even 2x the hourly rate (see their rates in the lobby next time you're there). Parts availability is not affected by aluminium or steel, it's all on the manufacturer, in this case Tesla.

With relatively low volumes, Tesla's tight control of not allowing secondary market pars, and the fact that cars chance so fast (every 2 weeks according to Elon), it is less likely that a secondary parts manufacturer will fill in the gap any time soon. When you get an exotic, hand-made car, you're stuck waiting for parts but at least there are not a lot of people waiting as they don't sell a lot. When you have a mass market car, they only change every 4 years or so and have the market size to justify a parts supply chain and secondary part sources (often same parts are used in different models too). Tesla is the worst of the two world, they make custom, ever-changing/no-two-alike cars at a 50K per year volume which creates a line of people waiting for custom parts but not long enough of a line for the industry to create a solution it could profit on. Similar story with the expertise to estimate and fix them. With the cars changing so fast, it takes a lot to keep up to date on it. Service King has one expert for Teslas.

You got some really good points. In fact, per Tesla, now, -- 90% of the parts have shipped. The 20% not shipped are actually what appear to be plastic and there is currently no eta on when they will ship/arrive...

00071751 1016412-00-B MOULDING-SILL OTR PNL RH (for plastic bright moulding)
00071752 1012215-00-G MS2 SCUFF PLATE, PLASTIC, LH

Anyways, no more exotic cars for me. A mass market model 3 though -- hopefully will not have this issue. Time will only tell.

You got some really good points. In fact, per Tesla, now, -- 90% of the parts have shipped. The 20% not shipped are actually what appear to be plastic and there is currently no eta on when they will ship/arrive...

00071751 1016412-00-B MOULDING-SILL OTR PNL RH (for plastic bright moulding)
00071752 1012215-00-G MS2 SCUFF PLATE, PLASTIC, LH

Anyways, no more exotic cars for me. A mass market model 3 though -- hopefully will not have this issue. Time will only tell.
As long as Elon continues to improve/change cars every 2 weeks, they all will have "exotic" (i.e. discontinued ) parts, which will be the ones you'll be waiting for (no longer sourced for production, so dependent purely on Tesla stocking them for repairs only).

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
Just an update. I got my car fixed and she's back on the road doing great. The total cost was 11,500. It took almost 3 months to fix -- mostly just waiting for parts from Tesla. The Tesla part situation is an very sad but that's another long story in itself. I did not see any improvement in the parts situation compared to 2017. I got it the repair at a Service King -- which did a pretty good job. I have noted that the front wrap is coming off at a few spots - so I'll likely give them a call once things calm down in the next month or so.