Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost for replacing front Brakes and rotors on MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brake pads and rotors should go for a very long distance because of regen, 100,000+ miles. The fluid flush should be under $150. The brakes are Brembo, so a standard high-performance brand.
Varies by climate and location and whether regular 'clean & lube' maintenance was done. Had mine done a few days ago and skipped a couple years. Fronts were not sliding well on the pins and 'shelf' they sit on so they were wearing faster and more uneven than expected. Also inside vs outside pads were a little different. I was able to see this with my own eyes as I talked with the mobile tech (non-Tesla) as he took them off with some difficulty because of them not sliding and be 'jambed'.

In wet areas, there is a little more rust/corrosion if the physical brakes are not used (not heating up and self-cleaning) and regen is mostly doing the work.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Varies by climate and location and whether regular 'clean & lube' maintenance was done. Had mine done a few days ago and skipped a couple years. Fronts were not sliding well on the pins and 'shelf' they sit on so they were wearing faster and more uneven than expected. Also inside vs outside pads were a little different. I was able to see this with my own eyes as I talked with the mobile tech (non-Tesla) as he took them off with some difficulty because of them not sliding and be 'jambed'.

In wet areas, there is a little more rust/corrosion if the physical brakes are not used (not heating up and self-cleaning) and regen is mostly doing the work.
One of the "bad" things about regen braking is you don't use your disk brakes often so they develop rust on rotors and they can make screeching/scraping noises from lack of use. Unlike ICE vehicles where they knock any rust that builds off the rotors when they make a couple of stops. Also, as you point out, the caliper pins develop corrosion and get stuck. And then when you do press on the brakes the pads don't slide as easily. We used to always put lithium grease on the pins at each pad/rotor change. But, with EVs that make be hundreds of thousands of miles apart instead of tens of thousands. Stil,l I will take the regen and deal with these minor brake maintenance issues.

Reactions: scottf200
How much does Tesla quote for a front brake pads and rotors replacement with fluid flush?
Anybody in the Raleigh area that can do this apart from Tesla?
any *reputable* shop can do your brakes. if you're going to a shop, just know it's typically bad form to bring your own parts. however, these should be a good reference for *just* parts

non-perf pads and rotors. for street driving you will not notice a difference:

perf rotors are larger. and cost approx 150 for each pair. pads will be slightly more.

non performance brake fluid is cheap, like 5-10 bucks for a liter. even performance brake fluid will only be 20ish. if you are at all handy, this is a easy job to do

It doesn’t say whether or not a fluid flush was done, however.
When I had a mobile tech (not Tesla's) come do my clean and lube he actually did two separate tests of my fluid. One tested for moisture and the other tested for things like copper. From something I read:
The manufacturer says testing for copper is much more important and is a more reliable indicator of corrosion, and that moisture is basically a non-issue in modern brake systems. The copper contamination comes from the copper coating on the inside of brake lines. When the corrosion inhibitors in the brake fluid wear out, copper starts showing up in the fluid (supposedly).

Reactions: KentuckyX
When I had a mobile tech (not Tesla's) come do my clean and lube he actually did two separate tests of my fluid. One tested for moisture and the other tested for things like copper. From something I read:

no need to overthink brake fluid. change it once a year and call it a day. the main issue with brake fluid is that it is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture. when water boils you get air in your brake lines and the it leads to overall negative feel/performance. the boiling is less of an issue if you don't use brakes, but, it will still pull moisture.

Reactions: jboy210
I had front and back done last year. Looking at my invoice, it was $725 for the front pads and rotors. It doesn’t say whether or not a fluid flush was done, however.

that seems kidna expensive. maybe like an hour per corner in labor + MSRP on parts (since most shops make their money on parts). likely no fluid done if it wasn't indicated, because they would 100% bill you for it

no need to overthink brake fluid. change it once a year and call it a day. the main issue with brake fluid is that it is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture. when water boils you get air in your brake lines and the it leads to overall negative feel/performance. the boiling is less of an issue if you don't use brakes, but, it will still pull moisture.

Changing brake fluid once a year is overthinking and completely not necessary. Money waste....

Changing brake fluid once a year is overthinking and completely not necessary. Money waste....
My impression is they are coming from a "racing" or driving your traditional car very hard background .... that is to say not taking into account the amount of "braking" that is done by the regen (motors) electric braking vs the physical braking system (pads/fluids/etc).

ok, then don't. a properly bled brake system will feel and perform better than one that hasn't been maintained. at the end of the day your brake fluid is absorbing moisture whether you use them or not
I agree. A brake fluid replacement is a pretty simple operation and relatively cheap. And the downside of having water in the fluid is increased stopping distance and potential corrosion of the brake lines, hoses fittings, and pistons. All of which can be an expensive repair.

Quick update: Got it done from Tesla Raleigh service center for $1,200. Front brake pads, rotors and brake fluid flush. Also, sold the MX 90D right after and got a 2018 MX 100D!! loving the new ride with the 60 mile additional range and MCU 2!!

Reactions: KentuckyX
Using brakes is not "abusing" your car 🙄
Needing a brake job at 27k miles on an EV with regenerative braking due to lack of proper usage or maintenance to them, opening both front doors into brick or stone walls and chipping the paint off the edges of both, scratching the inside rear interior by not properly securing a load, and climbing in and out of the back of the car with biking or baseball cleats on (marring the skid plates) is not exactly my idea of taking proper care of your automobile. Please reply with the proper term I should have used here...