Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost for second meter in CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know, but it probably isn't cheap. Don't forget to add any base billing requirements. (i.e. a bill with 0 kWh isn't necessarily $0)
For CT, my guess will be $5,000+, dependent on access to garage (having to go under around existing concrete)

Don't know, but it probably isn't cheap. Don't forget to add any base billing requirements. (i.e. a bill with 0 kWh isn't necessarily $0)
For CT, my guess will be $5,000+, dependent on access to garage (having to go under around existing concrete)

Yeah, that's what I mean, should have clarified, what is the monthly cost of the meter. The building itself needs new services, and it is equidistant from the pole and from the house (actually probably closer to the pole).

https://www.eversource.com/content/...s/ct-electric/rate-1-ct.pdf?sfvrsn=a024c062_8

There is listed a "customer charge" of $9.44 - that could either be the cost of the meter ("customer"), or more literally that would be $9.44 per home and not per meter.

I've seen multiple meters everywhere, so that is very possible that they are not too expensive.

Yeah, that's what I mean, should have clarified, what is the monthly cost of the meter. The building itself needs new services, and it is equidistant from the pole and from the house (actually probably closer to the pole).

https://www.eversource.com/content/...s/ct-electric/rate-1-ct.pdf?sfvrsn=a024c062_8

There is listed a "customer charge" of $9.44 - that could either be the cost of the meter ("customer"), or more literally that would be $9.44 per home and not per meter.

I've seen multiple meters everywhere, so that is very possible that they are not too expensive.

You should be able to lookup you tariff at either the power company or the public utilities commission for the state. That $9.44 is probably what it is going to be, if not more. It will probably be a new customer. There often is a 1 meter, 1 customer concept.

An electrician should be able to quote you for it.

But you are going to have utility new service fees and all installation. And that also assumes that there is enough capacity on your transformer to add another circuit.

"Multiple meters everywhere" are often built into the cost of a new building on construction to make a building multi-tenant. This then gets rolled into the long term loans and gets washed out of view. You are going to get the full view!

Eversource NH gives me a second meter for my water heater (residential rate R w/ uncontrolled water heating). Main meter is $12.69/month (standard customer charge), second water heater meter is $4.47/month. There is a ~$0.026/kWh savings for the water heater meter.

Additionally there is this, which may or may not be helpful. I'd call Eversource directly.

https://www.eversource.com/content/...tric/ct-electric-rates.pdf?sfvrsn=2d9afe62_30

I was expecting to hear from people who'd done it, but it seems more like something people don't do. I was probably overthinking the amount of demand that an EV/EVs could really need.

I saw that doc - it is the same as the one that I linked except that it has all the various rate schedules. The others make 001 "Residential Electric Service" look like a great deal! Time of use gets you 2 cents off your bill off-peak in exchange for paying 5 more cents off-peak.

Electric heating options look ok, but unlikely to compare with gas, not worth it for a single space heater (maybe it is minus the meter install).

I was expecting to hear from people who'd done it, but it seems more like something people don't do. I was probably overthinking the amount of demand that an EV/EVs could really need.

I saw that doc - it is the same as the one that I linked except that it has all the various rate schedules. The others make 001 "Residential Electric Service" look like a great deal! Time of use gets you 2 cents off your bill off-peak in exchange for paying 5 more cents off-peak.

Electric heating options look ok, but unlikely to compare with gas, not worth it for a single space heater (maybe it is minus the meter install).

That is indeed a relatively worthless ToD savings.

The demand for EV power is really dependent on how much additional capacity that your current service has. If you've got 200A service then you probably have enough overhead.

At 1,000 miles per month and a really lousy efficiency of 500 wH/mi, that's 500 kWh/month. That's $50 at $0.10/kWh. The cost was actually less and a Model 3 can get down to 250 wH/mi. That's less than $25 per month. A $10 surcharge is over a third of the bill. $1.200 installation cost (I'm sure will be much higher) over 10 years is another $10 per month.

If it can go on your current panel, you'll save a LOT of money.