Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost for windshield replacement or calibration at Tesla service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to email the North Houston location about cost of full replacement and cost of calibration if I were to have a third party to replace it, only to receive an email saying that I need to make an appointment to get a quote. Already have another appointment for deformed interior piece in a few weeks, app won't allow me to make another appointment, and service center email won't provide quote, not sure what kind of F---king logic is that...but here I am(end of rant here)

Have anyone recently replaced their Model 3 front windshield at Tesla service centers? Trying to see the cost of full replacement at Tesla SC vs cost of calibration if it were replaced by a third party...right now mine has a 2ft long crack...

88C907A2-601C-4442-A734-59365AD4E0FD.jpeg

Actually the car will calibrate itself in the settings menu but my issue was the camera alignment was off after the new windshield installed and I had to take it back.
I guess the "target calibration" would address that case. The "drive cycle" calibration that comes after probably is the one that you can do yourself.

Tried to email the North Houston location about cost of full replacement and cost of calibration if I were to have a third party to replace it, only to receive an email saying that I need to make an appointment to get a quote. Already have another appointment for deformed interior piece in a few weeks, app won't allow me to make another appointment, and service center email won't provide quote, not sure what kind of F---king logic is that...but here I am(end of rant here)

Have anyone recently replaced their Model 3 front windshield at Tesla service centers? Trying to see the cost of full replacement at Tesla SC vs cost of calibration if it were replaced by a third party...right now mine has a 2ft long crack...
No need for Tesla to calibrate. You can run it yourself on the drive home from the shop. I had my done recently. Safelite repaired it just fine. They warn you about calibration, but you can now do it yourself. You will need a software update pushed though to get the HVAC working correctly. Even just pushing your current SW again.

The local San Diego Tesla Service Centers informed me they use 3rd party vendors for windshield replacement. I asked what company that was and called them direct. Checked with my Insurance Carrier to make sure they were on the "approved" list and result was they were. Glass company came out and replaced my Tesla Model 3 windshield at my home and worked directly thru the Insurance Company. I only had to pay $100 deductible because I have Glass Coverage on my policy. I then made an appointment with the Tesla Service Center for recalibration. Tesla Service Center charged me $0!

Find out who the Service Center uses for 3rd party installation of windshield glass (In most cases Tesla does not do this work directly as I understand)
See if the shop you identify works directly thru your Insurance Company and ask them to coordinate with your company, subject to you deductible of course. (I have Glass Coverage). Once your windshield is replaced take it to the Tesla Service Center for forward camera recalibration. I have had my wife's windshield replaced twice using these steps. Both times Tesla did not charge me for the camera recalibration. Good Luck!

This seems super variable by location.

Out here (also Raleigh NC service center) they supposedly do the work, not a 3rd party... or at least that was true when mine was done- as originally my insurance told me I had to use a third party, who then came back and told me (and the insurance) they don't' do Teslas and they have to go to the SC to have them done.

Hilariously as a result of this I made a small profit on the windshield replacement- insurance wasn't set up to pay Tesla directly, so I used a credit card (earning rewards) then insurance company sent me the $.

(also my price was similar to the other poster who had it done in Raleigh, 900-something)

Find out who the Service Center uses for 3rd party installation of windshield glass (In most cases Tesla does not do this work directly as I understand)
See if the shop you identify works directly thru your Insurance Company and ask them to coordinate with your company, subject to you deductible of course. (I have Glass Coverage). Once your windshield is replaced take it to the Tesla Service Center for forward camera recalibration. I have had my wife's windshield replaced twice using these steps. Both times Tesla did not charge me for the camera recalibration. Good Luck!
As has been stated multiple times in this thread, camera recalibration is not required. They recalibrate on their own.

• Disagree
Reactions: OldPro
Re-Calibration is needed as per the glass company that replaced the glass on my wife's. Model 3 AND as per Tesla
Recalibration is NOT needed, per Tesla service. Not some third party auto glass replacement company. When I was getting quotes for my windshield replacement, I was told by Safelite that recalibration would be needed. I ended up using my Tesla service center directly for the replacement as it was cheaper (and didn't have an 8 week wait) and when I asked about recalibration cost, the service advisor told me there was no cost because no manual recalibration was needed. The cameras would automatically recalibrate as the car was driven.

Plenty of other people on here have had glass replaced by Tesla and have not been charged for any recalibration and were told the same thing that I was. The only outfits saying that recalibration is needed are third party installers. They are misinformed.

Recalibration is NOT needed, per Tesla service. Not some third party auto glass replacement company. When I was getting quotes for my windshield replacement, I was told by Safelite that recalibration would be needed. I ended up using my Tesla service center directly for the replacement as it was cheaper (and didn't have an 8 week wait) and when I asked about recalibration cost, the service advisor told me there was no cost because no manual recalibration was needed. The cameras would automatically recalibrate as the car was driven.

Plenty of other people on here have had glass replaced by Tesla and have not been charged for any recalibration and were told the same thing that I was. The only outfits saying that recalibration is needed are third party installers. They are misinformed.
Good luck on that one...