Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of battery replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually paid for a battery replacement from Tesla? I've seen a bunch of stories of Tesla replacing batteries pro bono which is nice but I'm curious as to what a full battery replacement actually costs if someone needed one after the warranty expired.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually paid for a battery replacement from Tesla? I've seen a bunch of stories of Tesla replacing batteries pro bono which is nice but I'm curious as to what a full battery replacement actually costs if someone needed one after the warranty expired.
Model S P85D battery replacement was quoted around 22K if I recall. This was last year.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Saturday
Battery day announcements and other future battery and manufacturing innovation will continue to reduce costs by significant percentages. Battery replacement is not the current mission of Tesla, but as costs are reduced and production increases, battery replacement/upgrades will become more common.

EVwest in S. California or Rich Rebuilds back in New England for possible out of warranty battery replacements using Salvaged battery - seems too much trouble - just buy another Tesla new or used
And perhaps the guy who does the old Roadsters?

I suspect any of these guys can offer fine advice about your battery.

Reactions: house9
Battery day announcements and other future battery and manufacturing innovation will continue to reduce costs by significant percentages. Battery replacement is not the current mission of Tesla, but as costs are reduced and production increases, battery replacement/upgrades will become more common.

I am hoping that this is true. I normally keep my cars 8-10 years, and I am hoping to get at least that out of our new Model 3. Even if I get only normal degradation from our battery, I can see wanting to replace it in about 5 years with the better battery technology which will almost certainly then be available. I hope that this will be a realistic option going forward, from Tesla or from reputable after-market suppliers. Surely with the number of Teslas now being sold, there is going to be a commercial opportunity there, especially if battery production costs continue to fall.

I I normally keep my cars 8-10 years, and I am hoping to get at least that out of our new Model 3. Even if I get only normal degradation from our battery, I can see wanting to replace it in about 5 years with the better battery technology which will almost certainly then be available. I hope that this will be a realistic option going forward, from Tesla or from reputable after-market suppliers. Surely with the number of Teslas now being sold, there is going to be a commercial opportunity there, especially if battery production costs continue to fall.
please excuse this cheeky comment
:rolleyes:
Would seem to make as much sence as replacing a fuel tank.

I wonder how many miles of fuel savings you need to pay for replacement ??
And if car is a business expense - I guess you can use as an expense against income?

suspect I'd spend money on custom interior :cool: I mean a repair of my "damaged" interior
or consider trade in for CyberTruck - wonderful to have options.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
These costs are massively higher than what I anticipated. I read online a couple months ago that they were expected to be between $5000-$8000 for a Model 3 targeted battery replacement. I understand these costs will drop with time but I didn’t expect nearly all/a significant chunk of the gas savings to be eaten up by a cost like this.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I understand these costs will drop with time
I expect the opposite - from Tesla at least.

German model Y will be the first to use the cells as a structural part of the car, no longer building a pack that bolts in like ours. Future models Cybertruck and the hatchback will be constructed that way from day #1 and other factories will roll the structural cell design for Y and 3 eventually. That's the path to reducing the cost of new models, but doesn't help us at all sadly. Packs will not be getting cheaper, as they will stop being made in volume within a couple of years, well before we need a replacement.

Additionally the new cars will use a different size cell. The Panasonic cells we use aren't found in any other product (Tesla or otherwise) so that production line will eventually be repurposed once all Y and 3 production moves to structural batteries.

I also like the idea of keeping this car a long while but when it gets repacked (if) I expect it will be a 3rd party product, not something from Tesla. MIC model 3 uses modules constructed from 2 additional manufacturers (CATL and LG IIRC) which fills me with hope a 3rd party, likely Chinese, will step in to fill the need once it arises. It will likely be cheaper, but I don't expect it to be Tesla genuine.

My assumption was that Telsa itself would be building replacement packs for previously-produced cars, but using new technologies to do it. I might be wrong, but that was my assumption. If not, maybe there will be an authorized third-party producer. There already are a significant number of Teslas on the road - it will be a pretty big market. Also, with battery re-use/recycling plans, the batteries that will be swapped out themselves will be worth something. There is a commercial opportunity here.

Anyway, I am hoping that the price eventually drops to the $8000-10,000 range. If it does, it would be something that I would consider if someday my Model 3 is still in good shape, but the battery is degraded.

Reactions: KungfuPops2064
At 4:30am on my way to work, I ran over some road debris in my 2020 LR MY on the fwy. It did nothing to front fender or structure of car, the debris slipped under, but punctured the cables and docking bays of HV batt (located btw front tires) causing HV Batt to leak and needing full replacement. The line item-cost of the new Model Y HV Battery was $15k. Thank God for Tesla Insurance they were great. Took 20 days for replacement and service.

Attachments

• 03392A98-B830-4C2A-9545-B8CF50490C1B.jpeg
    03392A98-B830-4C2A-9545-B8CF50490C1B.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 2,669
  • 5B5F3CE6-CA4D-4CF5-975F-FFC212B6B976.jpeg
    5B5F3CE6-CA4D-4CF5-975F-FFC212B6B976.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 6A12EFB0-362F-49D3-8E36-8488BBC7C632.jpeg
    6A12EFB0-362F-49D3-8E36-8488BBC7C632.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 225