Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of brake replacement (pads and rotors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The parking brake caliper pads rust out and fall apart. It happened to me. I replaced it myself tho for much much cheaper.
Hardest part of the job is to knock out the pins if they are corroded.
Its electric so no bleeding required.
Put the car in tow mode and jack mode.
Unbolt wheel.
Unclip harness from parking brake
Unbolt parking brake caliper .
Take out pins
Replace with new pads
Unbolt the servo motor on back of caliper
Manually rotate gears to draw back piston
Reinstall motor
Rebolt caliper
Plug harness back in
Rebolt wheel

At ~184K miles, with lots of mountain driving and more limited regenerative braking as the battery pack ages, our 2012 Model S is getting close to needing new brake pads. Our local shop, where we've been buying tires for our Model S for years, says that the front brakes have 20% remaining, the rear brakes are down to 40%, and the parking brake is at 40%.

Is there anything special we should know about working on a Tesla's brakes? It will be most convenient if I can have our local auto shop handle the job if it's nothing more than standard brake work. Otherwise, it's 1.5 hours round trip to/from our closest Tesla service center.

At ~184K miles, with lots of mountain driving and more limited regenerative braking as the battery pack ages, our 2012 Model S is getting close to needing new brake pads. Our local shop, where we've been buying tires for our Model S for years, says that the front brakes have 20% remaining, the rear brakes are down to 40%, and the parking brake is at 40%.

Is there anything special we should know about working on a Tesla's brakes? It will be most convenient if I can have our local auto shop handle the job if it's nothing more than standard brake work. Otherwise, it's 1.5 hours round trip to/from our closest Tesla service center.
standard brake job. nothing special isneeded

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile

They are just garden variety Brembo brake calipers and pads. This exact same caliper and pad is used on many, many other makes and models.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and 2101Guy