Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of charge disappeared during supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 1000 free supercharger miles from a referral. While I utilized them, the charge cost stayed at zero during the charge and I wasn't billed.

I am back to paying for my supercharges, but the accumulated cost as it charges is staying at zero.

Anyone else seen this?

Shhhh... the first rule of (unintended) free Supercharging sessions is that you don't mention it.

Or are what you are saying is that you do get billed for the session on your credit card (and it appears online in your Tesla charging history) but the cost of the session stays at $0.00 during and after the Supercharging session? And just to be sure, the cost should only appear when connected to a Supercharger and not any other L3 station (ChargePoint, EVgo, Electrify America, etc).

I've never had free SC miles. I've seen my display account for the normal (correct) amount of money for the session and then magically disappear when I disconnect and drive away. I've seen the amount magically adjust downward from one to several increments of $/kWh (at whatever rate I would normally be charged). I've also seen the amount for the session appear on my display but not be recorded (or charged to my credit card) in my Tesla account. Granted, it hasn't happened to me in quite some time but it has occurred.

If the amount that is billed to your credit card is the true and accurate cost for the charging session ($xx.xx), then I'd just ignore whatever you see in the "accumulated charge". You're getting charged the correct amount of money for your pay per use Supercharging session; I don't think what you're experiencing is a real problem. What would be a problem is if you are overcharged for any session. Then hopefully you will have some proof that what you were billed was inaccurate.

If the display of the charging session cost remains at $0.00 at all times, then you'll have to note how much power your car ingested (kWh) and multiply that by the station's cost-per-kWh. Bay Area costs are around $0.21 to $0.42 per kWh and can vary depending upon the area and sometimes the time of day.

This isn't a big deal. I was actually surprised when I was utilizing the free supercharger miles that it correctly no cost at the bottom right of the charging screen.
So I incorrectly assumed that when I went back to paying for my miles that the number didn't accumulate anymore