Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cost of charge point installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a quote for installing a Zappi untethered charger at home the quote is about £700 including the gov grant so I am guessing £1200 without it. how does that sound to others who have them installed?

A78FBD7B-B31C-4528-848F-86232FB5077E.jpeg
If you want zappi specifically then I’ll let others answer.

PodPoint took the guy 1.5hours and cost me £379 (inc grant)

Reactions: ME_UK and Roy W.
I live in Bradford and its a standard install. I would like the wire running into the kitchen then under the floor and in to the meter cupboard about 3 meters from the kitchen. They said they would supply the cable that needs running so I could run it through the house under the floor then they would just connect at the consumer unit when they arrive if they were to run the cable total price would be £815. also with the Zappi unit there is no need for an additional earth spike.

I paid £460 for the Tesla wall charger and £200 to have it fitted... admittedly quite close to the fuse box.

I get the feeling that electricians are marking up these installs by £500 and then taking the grant.

What RCD type was that and when was it fitted. Currently a Type B RCD is upward of £120 alone or Type A with the required 6mA protection (so called Type A-EV) is even more - either version is mandatory since Jan 2019.

I had a chap who quoted me blind £250 all inclusive but won’t be using them as at that price they will not be meeting current regulations - that’s not even likely to cover parts alone.

I paid £460 for the Tesla wall charger and £200 to have it fitted... admittedly quite close to the fuse box.

I get the feeling that electricians are marking up these installs by £500 and then taking the grant.
I was wondering that myself. I’ve bought an Andersen A2 and was obliged to spend £400 on the standard installation, regardless of how much they actually do, and them installing it is a requirement of the OLEV grant. So basically I’ve only benefited to the tune of £100.

I have had a quote for installing a Zappi untethered charger at home the quote is about £700 including the gov grant so I am guessing £1200 without it. how does that sound to others who have them installed?

Generally speaking (dangerous starting point!!) the wiring and "other bits" part start around £500

So add to that the price of the Charger and subtract the Grant.

A simple install will have the Distribution Unit at the front of the house near the location of the charger. If it is further away than that, or if cable has to be run to Garage and a additional distribution board installed, that will bump the Install cost up

an external 32A commando socket installed for £260 all in

Presumably using the UMC that came with the car, so all the hassle of rolling that up (wet etc. on rainy days) to take with you, or running the risk of not having it when needed in an emergency (e.g. I've used mine when the charger at work failed so I could charge from Commando to have enough juice to get home!), and also adding wear & tear to a £500-ish cable.

For sure.

I got Rolec installed for £440... that was after £500 OLEV and £300 Energy saving trust (scotland) grant.

No way was it a £1240 job without the grants.

Yes, and curiously the price, to the customer, for installs in Scotland appears to be approximately the same as the installs in England ... except we are getting an extra £300 EST grant on top of the OLEV grant.... hmmm, that's strange isn't it. It surely couldn't be that installers up here are making sure to snaffle that extra £300 quid of tax payers' money for themselves?

A friend of mine who isn’t eligible for the OLEV grant has just had an external 32A commando socket installed for £260 all in. She didn’t say it was for charging an EV and it hasn’t got a Type B RCD, but as it was considered safe before January she’s willing to take the risk.

I don't blame her. At the end of the day all these charge points end up delivering 7kW to the car, whatever their price and fancy extras. There would still be a useful profit to made at that price so everyone's happy.

Reactions: Artiste
Presumably using the UMC that came with the car, so all the hassle of rolling that up (wet etc. on rainy days) to take with you, or running the risk of not having it when needed in an emergency (e.g. I've used mine when the charger at work failed so I could charge from Commando to have enough juice to get home!), and also adding wear & tear to a £500-ish cable.

No, she bought a dedicated cable from evonestop which is permanently connected to the commando socket and wound round a spool when not in use. So not a lot different from a charging point but cheaper if you can’t get the OLEV grant. And, if she chooses to disconnect the cable, much more discreet as well.