Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Charging in Frisco Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a new Tesla Model Y , supposedly to be delivered next week . I was trying to figure out does anyone here use any apps like Optiwatt or Nikola or similar to keep track of the cost of charging it at home ? In Frisco, TX, CoServe is a monopoly and they don't have any time based costing, its just three usage based tier.
Also is it worth getting all the NEMA adapter kit or just stick with the ones Tesla gives.

Thanks ! I already have a Tesla home wall charger installed. I was asking more for when going on a trip / staying in hotel/ camp sites , etc .
Oh, for travel use, there's been a lot of discussion of that. Search, and you'll find a dozen threads on it.

Some of the ones that are common and maybe useful are:
14-50 and TT-30 for mobile home and campground sites. Tesla does sell the 14-50 one, but the TT-30 you would need to get from EVSEAdapters.

14-30 (new dryers) 10-30 (old dryers). But unless that dryer outlet is accessible in a garage, it's unlikely you would be able to reach it inside a house unless you go into big beefy extension cords, which I just wouldn't recommend bothering with. It's probably not going to come up.

5-20 That may be useful. If you do ever need to plug into an outside regular 120V outlet, most of those are the 20A kind, and this 5-20 plug will let you pull more amps than the standard 5-15 that comes with the car.

But remember that any of these are just for plugging into outlets, and really, you're rarely going to need to do that. All of the Superchargers and public J1772 stations don't even need those, so I would say maybe just the two campground plugs are a sufficient emergency backup thing that should cover everything you might need.

Reactions: 101dals
I agree with what has been posted. One accessory that was not mentioned in the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter. This adapter comes with every new Tesla vehicle, enables you to charge at any public Level 1, more commonly Level 2 charging station. Some public charging stations are even free for use for a few hours while you shop, dine or go to the movie theater.

Download the free app Plugshare onto your phone to find nearby public charging stations when you travel. Google Maps can show you EV Charging Stations, also Tesla Destination Chargers and Tesla Supercharger locations.

I've probably commented this in the threads that Rocky linked to, but the only adapters I have for the mobile connector are the included 5-15, 15-50, and L5-30. I use the 15-50 at home, expecting to use it at camp sites but never have. I use the L5-30 at marinas (I'm a boater). I've used the 5-15 a handful of times on the road.

Otherwise I use Superchargers, Tesla Destination chargers (wall connector) at hotels, and a variety of J1772 sites with the included adapter.

Honestly, unless you're VERY adventuresome, I doubt you'd need anything additional. Maybe 14-50 for camp sites.

I've probably commented this in the threads that Rocky linked to, but the only adapters I have for the mobile connector are the included 5-15, 15-50, and L5-30. I use the 15-50 at home, expecting to use it at camp sites but never have. I use the L5-30 at marinas (I'm a boater). I've used the 5-15 a handful of times on the road.

Otherwise I use Superchargers, Tesla Destination chargers (wall connector) at hotels, and a variety of J1772 sites with the included adapter.

Honestly, unless you're VERY adventuresome, I doubt you'd need anything additional. Maybe 14-50 for camp sites.
You meant 14-50 throughout, but I generally agree. I might add the 14-30 for when you visit grandma's house and want to charge off her dryer outlet(assuming its close enough to where you can park, of course)

Reactions: LoudMusic
I am getting a new Tesla Model Y , supposedly to be delivered next week . I was trying to figure out does anyone here use any apps like Optiwatt or Nikola or similar to keep track of the cost of charging it at home ? In Frisco, TX, CoServe is a monopoly and they don't have any time based costing, its just three usage based tier.
Also is it worth getting all the NEMA adapter kit or just stick with the ones Tesla gives.

That functionality is built into the Tesla app. It works very well.

6339BC5B-DFB0-41BC-AC88-7A01A81182C4.png

Awesome! Is there a way to split the cost of home charging and supercharger on the app ? Sorry for all these questions ..don’t have the car yet , so no way of finding it out now .

It doesn’t give an exact breakdown, but it tells you what percentage of your charging was Supercharging along with what your average Supercharger price per kWh has been.

For me, if I used 1,251 kWh, of which 61% was Supercharging at an average of 31¢ per kWh, my Supercharger costs for the past 31 days are:

1251 * .61 = 763.11 kWh * $0.31 = $236.56

For my home charging:

1251 * .3 = 375 kWh * $0.10 = $37.5

If my average consumption is 3.5 miles per kWh (286 Wh/mi), my cost per mile works out to:

Supercharging: $0.31 / 3.5 = $0.0885 per mile
Home: $0.10 / 3.5 = $0.0286 per mile

There is a lot of rounding happening, so you won’t get exact numbers. However, the information is good enough to get you really close.