Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of EV charging in Vancouver

chronoreverse

Oct 14, 2020
Vancouver
If you wanted to simply save on fuel costs, the only EV's that make sense are cheap Leafs from 2015 that have the "lizard" battery that doesn't wear as fast.

A Prius only costs twice as much per KM as an EV in Vancouver and costs way less. You'll never ever break even vs an EV whether new vs new or used vs used.

Double_J

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario
True,

I wasn't expecting to break even. Even when I charge at work for free the savings still do pay for the difference in the vehicles. I was just expecting the difference to be greater. When I ball parked the numbers it got slightly more savings then previously mentioned.

chronoreverse

Oct 14, 2020
Vancouver
I agree with you about the costs but comparing a Prius to a well engineered EV like a Model 3 is like comparing a Civic to a Lexus sedan; not comparable at all.
I meant EVs in general hence the comment about an old used 2015 Leaf.

I began with the statement that it doesn't make sense to be looking for fuel costs breakeven for a reason ;)

Thomas7

TheMomentThinker
Aug 22, 2020
Canada
The truth is I wish the electric company would make something to calculate EV charging easier. Maybe a tool in our profile that can view that. - If you work for BCHydro. Please feedback this to your team!

Reactions: srlawren

chronoreverse

Oct 14, 2020
Vancouver
What do you mean? You can see your daily kWh energy usage down to the hour. If you want anything better you'll need dedicated hardware like a Chargepoint EVSE that can keep track further.

BC Hydro won't pay for that but they'll give you a rebate for installing it so what more can you ask?

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
Grab a power meter for about $100 and track it yourself.

I have an induction clamp power sensor that I can even program in my local power rates and it’ll give me how much power my charger uses in kWh and cash cost.

iJak

Nov 29, 2019
vancouver
Here's a good way to get an idea...assuming no one really stays in step 1 rates with EV...so it will be based on annual 20k km + step 2 rate of 14 cents.

I've driven about 20000k with an 209w/km average on my SR+ with 18" and 19" rims... doing the math:
209w = .209KW * 20000km = 4180kW * $.14 step 2 rate est = $586 of electricity / 20k km.

Model 3 Sr+ conservative driving = 160w/km @ 20k km a year = 3200kW * $.14 = $448
Model X Performance heavy foot = 370w/km (high est) @ 20k km a year = 7400kW * $.14 = $1036
gunning everything = 500w/km @ 20k km a year = 10000kW * $.14 = $1400

Based on that you should have a pretty good idea how much charging will cost.

Reactions: BrandX

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC