Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of EV charging in Vancouver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you wanted to simply save on fuel costs, the only EV's that make sense are cheap Leafs from 2015 that have the "lizard" battery that doesn't wear as fast.

A Prius only costs twice as much per KM as an EV in Vancouver and costs way less. You'll never ever break even vs an EV whether new vs new or used vs used.

True,

I wasn't expecting to break even. Even when I charge at work for free the savings still do pay for the difference in the vehicles. I was just expecting the difference to be greater. When I ball parked the numbers it got slightly more savings then previously mentioned.

What do you mean? You can see your daily kWh energy usage down to the hour. If you want anything better you'll need dedicated hardware like a Chargepoint EVSE that can keep track further.

BC Hydro won't pay for that but they'll give you a rebate for installing it so what more can you ask?

Grab a power meter for about $100 and track it yourself.

I have an induction clamp power sensor that I can even program in my local power rates and it’ll give me how much power my charger uses in kWh and cash cost.

Here's a good way to get an idea...assuming no one really stays in step 1 rates with EV...so it will be based on annual 20k km + step 2 rate of 14 cents.

I've driven about 20000k with an 209w/km average on my SR+ with 18" and 19" rims... doing the math:
209w = .209KW * 20000km = 4180kW * $.14 step 2 rate est = $586 of electricity / 20k km.

Model 3 Sr+ conservative driving = 160w/km @ 20k km a year = 3200kW * $.14 = $448
Model X Performance heavy foot = 370w/km (high est) @ 20k km a year = 7400kW * $.14 = $1036
gunning everything = 500w/km @ 20k km a year = 10000kW * $.14 = $1400

Based on that you should have a pretty good idea how much charging will cost.

Reactions: BrandX
I picked this device up several years back, you set the price in cents, plug it in and let it run for a a while.
The displays shows the cost of my wife's Y after 309 hours. She plugs in sporadically and commutes 20km daily to work. Displayed is the monthly cost.

Attachments

• 20210919_142340.jpg
    20210919_142340.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 82