Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of FSD to start increasing after May 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or they're starting to become just as cynical as the AP 2.0 FSD owners.

Prices change, and most people know this. Business isn’t always fair. Tesla has tried to be fair. More fair than most other companies I know.

The vast majority of the cynicism I’ve seen here, is derived mostly from people wanting something they didn’t pay for, or want money back because they feel entitled....

So, do they honor the price quoted when one ordered their car? for example, I ordered last month, and it was stated that FSD is $5k when ordering, or $7k after delivery. Am I guaranteed the ability to purchase for $7k?

If you add it to the order while still listed at $5K, yes, but it you wait until later, the price will change until you order it.
May go up, may go down.

• Informative
Reactions: rich0
Prices change, and most people know this. Business isn’t always fair. Tesla has tried to be fair. More fair than most other companies I know.

The vast majority of the cynicism I’ve seen here, is derived mostly from people wanting something they didn’t pay for, or want money back because they feel entitled....

I went with the AP 2.0 + FSD owning group since they're the ones Tesla/Elon failed the most. I can emphasize with them because of what they went through. What they went through is quite a bit different than all the recent non-sense that has largely impact Model 3 owners.

It was also quite a bit more damaging in terms of how someone views anything out of Elon's mouth. To such a degree that it's gotten pretty easy to tell which vehicle a person has simply by their opinion of an Elon Musk tweet. If they're even somewhat optimistic they're likely a fairly new Model 3 owner, but if they're old and bitter they're typically a Model S/X AP2 owner.

As to the sales people?

Tesla lost a lot of admiration/respect when Elon said that most all the Stores were going to be closed, and that they were moving to mostly online only.

This was caused by Elon not doing due diligence before making a decision.

A decision where he failed to grasp the impact of it not just on employees, but customers as well.

Letting people go isn't something any company should take lightly. These weren't just employees, but likely people hugely optimist about Tesla.

Elon/Tesla need to concentrate on restoring credibility, and some resemblance of stability. Announcing that FSD pricing would start to spike up isn't the way to do that.

Instead a better approach would be to slowly raise it up as things got released. After awhile people would get the hint, and there wouldn't be an expectation of the price going down (what the recent fire sale did).

I went with the AP 2.0 + FSD owning group since they're the ones Tesla/Elon failed the most. I can emphasize with them because of what they went through. What they went through is quite a bit different than all the recent non-sense that has largely impact Model 3 owners.

It was also quite a bit more damaging in terms of how someone views anything out of Elon's mouth. To such a degree that it's gotten pretty easy to tell which vehicle a person has simply by their opinion of an Elon Musk tweet. If they're even somewhat optimistic they're likely a fairly new Model 3 owner, but if they're old and bitter they're typically a Model S/X AP2 owner.

As to the sales people?

Tesla lost a lot of admiration/respect when Elon said that most all the Stores were going to be closed, and that they were moving to mostly online only.

This was caused by Elon not doing due diligence before making a decision.

A decision where he failed to grasp the impact of it not just on employees, but customers as well.

Letting people go isn't something any company should take lightly. These weren't just employees, but likely people hugely optimist about Tesla.

Elon/Tesla need to concentrate on restoring credibility, and some resemblance of stability. Announcing that FSD pricing would start to spike up isn't the way to do that.

Instead a better approach would be to slowly raise it up as things got released. After awhile people would get the hint, and there wouldn't be an expectation of the price going down (what the recent fire sale did).

The FSD promise was extended to HW2 owners as well as those of us on HW2.5, though apparently HW2.5 is an easier upgrade.
Do you have any visibility on the extra changes from HW2 to HW3 over upgrading from HW2.5?

Regardless, there still aren't any FSD capabilities, except for 2019 owners with AP, and HW3 doesn't provide any short-term benefits yet.

If, like me, you have EAP, you still have the best software Tesla are shipping.

The FSD promise was extended to HW2 owners as well as those of us on HW2.5, though apparently HW2.5 is an easier upgrade.
Regardless, there still aren't any FSD capabilities, except for 2019 owners with AP.

If, like me, you have EAP, you still have the best software Tesla are shipping.

There is a lot of doubt/cynicism among AP2+FSD owners because Tesla hasn't made it clear on what's all going to be upgraded.

They know they'll get the HW3 computer. But, they don't know the status on whether their camera sensors will be upgraded to what HW2.5 has or whether the Radar will be upgraded.

If I had a bunch of early adopters who bought something that I've failed to deliver on so far I'd make them a priority on getting them upgraded as soon as possible. I'd see them as being an instrumental part of my customer base.

Will Tesla prioritize upgrading them despite the difficultly in doing so? Or will Tesla try to delay upgrading them for as long as possible?

It's anyones guess.

Upgrading them should be a priority in demonstrating to the Tesla community as a whole a commitment to delivering on promises. Preferably BEFORE trying to leverage fear of future price hikes to get people to buy FSD.

No they won't.

Advanced summon is the last EAP feature. It's complete after that.

City driving and stoplight/stop sign actions are exclusively FSD features.

Most folks working at Tesla retail locations are... poorly informed.

That is what I thought as well. That is also something Tesla should work on quickly as they will face a lot of angry customers down the road

I paid $5k for EAP end December. To punish me for not watching
Twitter like a stock futures trader with an ulcer, adding the "FSD"
pay-it-forward went from $2k to $5k. Given a little time, trust and
good feelings, I would likely have advanced him another $2k.
But now that's up to $10k total, plus scare tactics? Feh.

Feelings aside, Model 3 users are not in the same SpareCash
demographic as Model $ owners. It doesn't take many queasy
family members to sour thanksgiving dinner for everyone.
And here I was, actually enjoying the eats and the company.

Advanced summon is the last EAP feature. It's complete after that.
City driving and stoplight/stop sign actions are exclusively FSD features.

Seriously, @Knightshade, says who? Where? When?

<SNIP>

Not sure if I understand the immediate issue here.
Upgrade kits have not been released, and I haven't seen any statements on when any upgrade paths might become available.

While people with HW2.5 have an easier upgrade path, I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that the HW2 upgrade path has gone away. Just a lack of clarity about when the upgrades might happen or what's involved in the HW2 -> HW3 upgrade.

Any idea how many cars with HW2 have pre-paid for FSD?

He should announce an $8k option for time travel to be probably delivered last week, 6 weeks ago definitely. Adding it a year ago would cost $12K.

Yeah, exactly. Fear of missing out if you don’t get the time travel package before May 1!

The proper thing to do would be to make sure the time travel pack is working and ready BEFORE trying to sell it, rather than scaring people into buying vaporware now before the price skyrockets!

Last edited:
The discussion on what FSD is and can be delivered should happen on April 22. In my experience of business pricing, the cost of FSD would go up to what the perceived value of the FSD will be on April 21. Elon is waiting until May 1. Stop complaining.

If you think it’s worth it, then you have a week or two to buy it. Note that the Uber CEO said, a year or two ago, that if Tesla announced working FSD, Uber would buy a year’s supply of cars immediately.

If the value of a FSD Tesla unlocks the “Tesla Network” and one might be able to make money by Uber-like autonomous behavior, how much money could be made? FSD would likely cost 20%-30% of that value. It is reasonable to expect the price to go up significantly and stay there IF FSD enables the “Tesla Network”.

If FSD is just a handsfree expressway autonomous car, then I doubt the price will increase much.

In my experience of business pricing, the cost of FSD would go up to what the perceived value of the FSD

Perceptions do not equal reality.

Instead they are largely driven by emotion on what we want them to be.

Customers should be allowed to make calculated informed decisions, and not to be forced to make emotional decisions out of fear.

If I wanted to place bets then I'd find a bookie
If I wanted to play the stock market I'd find a broker.

But, I just want to buy a car or a feature for a car.

Can't I just pay for X, for Y, and get it when it's promised?

It's getting to a point where one needs a price ticker for FSD.

Is it $2K, $2.5K, $3K. or $5K today?

Should I wait to get it the day after it kills someone?

We're going to get real-time pricing on this right?

Seriously, @Knightshade, says who? Where? When?

Says the definition of EAPs feature set since it was introduced.... so literally everything ever said about EAP by Tesla since 2016 would be your answer.

EAP description from tesla.com said:
Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Lane change without verification was the next to last of those to be delivered... advanced summon is the last.

It's feature complete at that point.

Anything else has been explicitly listed under FSD (which is where many of the existing EAP features moved once EAP was discontinued)

Tesla.com on the 'new' FSD now that you can't buy EAP anymore said:
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

The first 4 things are the EAP features that were split out and moved to FSD, and not offered in just AP.

The coming later this year are only coming for FSD- because they're features beyond anything ever promised for EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: bredi
What happened shortly afterwards when the guy announced these things? Like how certain configurations are going away, free lifetime premium internet going away, price increases, tax credit going away, etc.? I think we all know the answer.

Can't I just pay for X, for Y, and get it when it's promised?

Of course you can. The pricing is very, very clear on the Tesla website; what you see is what you’ll pay. It’s very clear.

It's getting to a point where one needs a price ticker for FSD.

Is it $2K, $2.5K, $3K. or $5K today?

It’s very clearly indicated on the website. What it said yesterday, or what it’ll say tomorrow, has really no impact on a purchase you execute now. Except that, in the event the price goes down between the time you order and they deliver, they’ll reduce it for you. But if it goes up, they’ll leave your price alone. Seems pretty customer friendly to me.

If you place an order at a traditional dealership, and then someone comes in the next day and orders the same vehicle, but gets a better price, do they go back and adjust yours? No.

I’d say Tesla is more than fair.

Why is everyone worried about what others pay for their vehicle? Either you’re OK with the price and click the button, or you’re not. End of transaction.

Why is everyone worried about what others pay for their vehicle? Either you’re OK with the price and click the button, or you’re not. End of transaction.

For goodness sake....Its not about the price of the car!!!

Tesla's advertising on their website said something like this: ( in the tone of an ICE car vendor fire sale ).

-----
"Hey folks: Get EAP now for $3k. Get it now while its hot. "

"Get it now because if you don't and wait until after you buy the car it will be $5k. Hurry - Get it now. "
------

Folks scrambled around and scraped up money / sacrificed other things in life.

Then they purchased EAP or AP...who cares what its called...AND NOW.....AND NOW....its not $3k during the purchase or $5k after purchase.
Its less.

People are saying …."Hey...I didn't have to scrape up money and sacrifice like I did. Unlike Tesla said...the price didn't go up..it went down". "It wasn't a fire sale.....they didn't tell the truth". "They tricked me". "I could have waited". "Its only been 5 months....didn't they know the price was dropping"?

ALSO..

An ICE incentive is a "sale" to get people in or to move inventory. Then when the sale/incentive is over...the price goes back up to the original price.
Tesla isn't doing that.
They are forever changing the price of the item. Its not an incentive or a sale. Its not a temporary price reduction.
Its different than an ICE vendor incentive.

Those are the issues.