TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cost of Metallic Paint

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KZKZ, Jun 30, 2016.

1. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Tesla charges $1,000 for just regular metallic paint on the S.

Volt charges $0 for regular metallic, like Silver.

Nissan charges $0 for regular metallic.

Do you think Tesla will try to charge extra for normal metallic on the M3?

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Not really sure what "regular metallic" paint is, but most manufacturers charge additional for any metallic paint. My guess is to expect an upcharge for premium paint beyond non metallic silver, black, etc

3. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Black and white are free. Metallics are $1000 nd the 2 tri-coats are $1500. White Platinum tri-coat on my Ford Escape was $400 and it is flawless. The M3 is slightly smaller and coming 'economies of scale' maybe $500 for metallic. $1000 is a lot for a paint upgrade on a $35K car.

• Like x 1
  4. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

By regular I mean just the normal metallic paints, not the tri-coat / multi-coat paints that all manufacturers charge extra for.

I can understand charging extra for the multi-coat if it is indeed a longer, more involved process.

5. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

The paint for each car is said to be a 6 hour process. Tri-coats even longer. But still seems somewhat high for a different color

• Like x 1
  6. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

Agree here. Smaller car. Larger scale production probably means better pricing from their vendor. I think we'll see Free black/white, $750 metallics, premium colors like that red and probably the matte at $1000.

• Like x 1
  7. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Do metallic paint take longer than non-metallic?

I'm trying to figure where the $1000 extra comes from.

8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Metallic paints for all manufactures take longer to apply and contain small pieces of polished aluminum. There are often extra steps involved. Not every manufacturer charges extra but it does cost them extra.

Metallic paints can also increase the resale value and make the car look better so it's more desireable. In business, companies often charge a premium for desireable features.

9. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Then go buy a ***ing Leaf or a Volt! Geez.

• Dislike x 3
  10. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

When you look at the premium desirable colors for cars sold in the Model S price range like say a corvette instead of a volt, the paint options are $995 extra.

heck super silver on a Nissan GT-R costs $3000

11. Jayc

Jayc Member

What do you folks think about basic white vs metallic white. In my current car I paid extra for metallic white but side by side it looks slightly off white (unclean) compared to basic white. When I had a slight bumper scratch I was told it would have been a simple job had it been basic white but metallic white requires full bumper respray.

Considering all that I am wondering whether to go for basic white for M3. On the other hand, the metallic sheen does bring out all the curves on M3. Decisions decisions ...

12. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'm going to go with a metallic paint but probably get some kind of coating and/or film to keep it looking awesome.

• Like x 1
  13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Well, let's look at some Model 3 competitors to get a guess.

Audi charges $575 for anything but white or black on the A4
    BMW charges $550 for anything but white or black on the 3-series
    Acura charges $0 for all colors on the TLX
    Lexus charges $0 for 4 colors on the IS, and requires you to buy an f-sport for $2k more to get the other 4 colors
    Infinity charges $0 for all colors on the Q50
    Mercedes charges $720 or $1080 for all colors other than white or black for the C300.

So... Tesla seems to price their options more like the German cars so I would guess paint will be in the $500/$700 range.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I can't get behind the cargo van white in large measure because by the time you account for all of the black, red, and silver inherent in today's car, the overall look reminds me of a panda bear.

Having said that, I've lived in abnormally warm climes for much of my adult life and have preferred white cars.

When I bought mine, there were few colours available, especially if you consider that black (now 2 blacks), white (now 2 whites), silver, and grey aren't really colours at all. The green and brown and dolphin grey had all been discontinued, the blue at the time looked black, and that pretty much left the production red.

I would be much more inclined to pay a premium for a paint colour if in fact there were more actual colours from which to choose. Live a little. How about a proper British racing green? A rich copper? A sky blue? An additional red? It's just paint. Once it comes out of the nozzles it's a process like any other manufacturing process. Additional steps for metallics aside.

15. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

Tesla definitely needs to make their paint pricing more reasonable.

16. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Thanks for doing the leg work and posting what the various brands charge.

17. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

[​IMG]
    Cyber Gray Metallic (Gun metal gray with blue metallic flake - gorgeous in person) - $0

18. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Nice! I'm surprised they don't charge more for the blue metallic flake. I'm sure they make it up in other ways. Always loved Vettes!

19. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

If the Model 3 comes only available in the current Tesla colour lineup, I might end up ordering the basic white, saving the extra cost for metallic and instead go for a full wrap in my favorite custom colour. Might be worth it, especially after factoring in the effect that a wrap also protects the original paint.

• Like x 3
  20. Jayc

Jayc Member

Interesting idea, do you think there is a wrap out there that will add in a bit of the metallic sheen to basic white?

BTW what happens with minor dings and scratches, is it easy to mend the wrap?