Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Model 3 roof glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had to have the top roof glass section replaced and willing to share the cost?

Rock hit mine today and cracked it. Will check into a repair, but feeling like it will need to be replaced.

New cars are damage magnets, but I've never had so many things happen to a new car. :confused:

Just had it done. Wasn’t cheap, but was covered by insurance. Part is $850 and labor was around $150. Done at service center.

This is a contributing reason why I ruled out buying a Model 3.

In Jan 2019, before the SR and SR+ existed, the glass roof was part of the $5K premium package. I wasn't too keen on paying $5K for stuff I didn't want to pay for such as the glass roof as I was concerned about the reports of cracks (there have been numerous reports here on new 3's and some reports of it at work, as well) and leather/fake leather. Sure, Tesla is covering them under warranty but what happens after warranty?

And yes, this is another large piece of glass vulnerable to cracking/chips/breakage from rocks and other debris (e.g. from trees).

Now, unfortunately, all 3's ship with this and there's no metal roof version (yet).

I ended up buying a heavily discounted '19 Bolt (over $6K off MSRP) at end of Jan 2019. Was way cheaper with the $7500 Federal tax credit than a MR 3 ($44K back then, IIRC) + $2K for a color I found acceptable minus $3750 Federal tax credit. (Yes, I'm well aware of 3 vs. Bolt advantages and disadvantages. There were other numerous shortcomings/features I wanted/design decisions I don't like on the 3 that haven't been addressed.)

In Jan 2019, before the SR and SR+ existed, the glass roof was part of the $5K premium package. I wasn't too keen on paying $5K for stuff I didn't want to pay for such as the glass roof as I was concerned about the reports of cracks (there have been numerous reports here on new 3's and some reports of it at work, as well) and leather/fake leather. Sure, Tesla is covering them under warranty but what happens after warranty?

And yes, this is another large piece of glass vulnerable to cracking/chips/breakage from rocks and other debris (e.g. from trees).

Now, unfortunately, all 3's ship with this and there's no metal roof version (yet).

I ended up buying a heavily discounted '19 Bolt (over $6K off MSRP) at end of Jan 2019. Was way cheaper with the $7500 Federal tax credit than a MR 3 ($44K back then, IIRC) + $2K for a color I found acceptable minus $3750 Federal tax credit. (Yes, I'm well aware of 3 vs. Bolt advantages and disadvantages. There were other numerous shortcomings/features I wanted/design decisions I don't like on the 3 that haven't been addressed.)

So if you have a Bolt and don't have a Tesla, why are you posting here?

Have had plenty of cars with sunroofs that have glass in the same place Model 3 has a glass roof, so not sure the risk from falling debris is any different. For me it was debris while driving on the interstate. Roof glass isn’t flat, so seemed like it caught the roof near the highpoint. In another car maybe it would have hit the windscreen or maybe it would have passed over. Hard to know.

Like having the openness of the glass, so wouldn’t have wanted the metal roof even if offered. Will see how it plays out. They talked about putting stronger glass on the semi. If it proves to be an issue maybe they or someone else will offer a tougher glass for the Model 3. Certainly seem to get more rock chips in Colorado than many other states. Every car I have owned in CO has had to have glass repaired or replaced at some point because of road debris.

Bolt is far more economical choice. Love my Tesla though

Have had plenty of cars with sunroofs that have glass in the same place Model 3 has a glass roof, so not sure the risk from falling debris is any different.
Were they just as large and permanently attached to the body of the vehicle (as opposed to one that can be opened). The thermal expansion coefficient of glass is highly likely to be different than what it's attached to.

I've never ever owned nor leased a car w/a sunroof. On some models of vehicles I've had, it's not even an option.

Were they just as large and permanently attached to the body of the vehicle (as opposed to one that can be opened). The thermal expansion coefficient of glass is highly likely to be different than what it's attached to.

I've never ever owned nor leased a car w/a sunroof. On some models of vehicles I've had, it's not even an option.

First time with a fixed glass roof, which is a little larger than the moveable sunroofs I have had, but the impact point was in a place that would have been glass in other cars. Of course other cars do offer panoramic roofs and it is often an extra cost option.

I like having a glass roof or sunroof in any car I would buy, but you may have other priorities. Tesla is trying to limit configurations, so if you don’t like the packages they offer I am glad you got something else. I have been very happy with my car and for me there are many reasons why the Model 3 was preferable to the Bolt. Probably would not have an EV if only choices where Leaf, Bolt, i3, Model S, and Model X; however, now that I have experienced the Model 3, I probably won’t buy another ICE car.

Reactions: trojaneen
There are plenty of folks w/no EV or non-Tesla EVs and no Teslas that post here. Is that a fair question to ask them?

An EV has been my primary car since end of July 2013.

Agree, and the only reason I would be asking them that question is if they were using the forum, like you are, to bash the car that the forum is dedicated to. I also am a long term EV owner, although not as long as you. I became a member of the Chevy Bolt forum so that I could talk with folks over there when I was considering replacing my first EV with a Bolt. When I decided I didn't want a Bolt, and instead got a Tesla, I didn't start posting on the Bolt forum about why my Tesla was so much better. I just stayed silent. Similarly, I don't go back to the forum that I used to frequent for my previous EV to brag about how great my Tesla is.

Keith

How long did it take to replace the glass? I picked up my model 3 end of December in Massachusetts, during the rush. There was a small chip on the glass and they promised me that they will replace it with mobile unit. Fast forward 3.5 months later. They called me and told me that I would need to bring the car in to have it replaced. I moved to new Jersey. Looks like I need to drive it up there to have it replaced.

So, my question is can it be replaced the same day? or did they keep your car in the shop overnight?

How long did it take to replace the glass? I picked up my model 3 end of December in Massachusetts, during the rush. There was a small chip on the glass and they promised me that they will replace it with mobile unit. Fast forward 3.5 months later. They called me and told me that I would need to bring the car in to have it replaced. I moved to new Jersey. Looks like I need to drive it up there to have it replaced.

So, my question is can it be replaced the same day? or did they keep your car in the shop overnight?

I talked to my service center (Rockville) today and they said it could be done in one day, but they will need the car all day for everything to cure properly. So, I am planning on them having the car for the day, but not overnight.

Service center told me about a week to get the part, so not bad. I had my car in the body shop recently and they got all the parts (fender, headlight, bumper cover) in less than 2 weeks. So, I think parts availability (at least in my area) isn't a big problem at the moment.

Thanks for the info - good to hear. My front roof glass was delivered with a very small crack, but I'm not having it replaced until the ppf is applied.

Agree, and the only reason I would be asking them that question is if they were using the forum, like you are, to bash the car that the forum is dedicated to. I also am a long term EV owner, although not as long as you. I became a member of the Chevy Bolt forum so that I could talk with folks over there when I was considering replacing my first EV with a Bolt. When I decided I didn't want a Bolt, and instead got a Tesla, I didn't start posting on the Bolt forum about why my Tesla was so much better. I just stayed silent. Similarly, I don't go back to the forum that I used to frequent for my previous EV to brag about how great my Tesla is.

Keith
But the Tesla is so obviously superior to a Bolt. It's hard to be insulted by someone that chose a Bolt over a Model 3. I think it's interesting to hear what he based his decision on. I'm not a fan of the glass roof either, but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a Model 3. If you posted on a Bolt forum after you bought a Tesla, that would just be rubbing it in.