Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Model 3 roof glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took 3 days for Tesla Dublin to get the roof glass. After the glass came in I contacted All Day Auto Glass in San Jose. They picked up the roof in the morning at Tesla and then came to my house to replace the glass. It took him about two hours. The car can be driven right away.

Bolt is far more economical choice. Love my Tesla though
Wait how is it economical? I just noticed they lose full tax credit also. I configured a Bolt LT to roughly match an SR+, and it costs $38915 with manufacturer rebate - a bit more expensive than $38700 SR+! The dealer has to offer quite a MASSIVE dealer rebate to convince me from the performance, styling, charging network, among other benefits of SR+.

Wait how is it economical? I just noticed they lose full tax credit also. I configured a Bolt LT to roughly match an SR+, and it costs $38915 with manufacturer rebate - a bit more expensive than $38700 SR+! The dealer has to offer quite a MASSIVE dealer rebate to convince me from the performance, styling, charging network, among other benefits of SR+.
Now that they, too, have begun to lose the tax credit, I don't believe it's true anymore. But, buying a Bolt before April 2019- if you could find a dealer willing to offer deep discounts off MSRP was the opportunity that I was referring to....and the one I chose to pass on...

Reactions: cwerdna
Now that they, too, have begun to lose the tax credit, I don't believe it's true anymore. But, buying a Bolt before April 2019- if you could find a dealer willing to offer deep discounts off MSRP was the opportunity that I was referring to....and the one I chose to pass on...
Oh I see. It has 4-star safety rating also (though admittedly only due to rear seats safety). So with all those combined quite likely I would also still get my SR+ even if I carefully checked and found such a deal...

I will answer the other posts later when I have time.
NOBODY in their right mind is paying MSRP on a Bolt now or anytime this year.

We're talking $6K to $10K off MSRP AND a $7,500 Federal tax credit (if bought before 4/1/2019, which I did). See below.
I ended up buying a heavily discounted '19 Bolt (over $6K off MSRP) at end of Jan 2019. Was way cheaper with the $7500 Federal tax credit than a MR 3 ($44K back then, IIRC) + $2K for a color I found acceptable minus $3750 Federal tax credit. (Yes, I'm well aware of 3 vs. Bolt advantages and disadvantages. There were other numerous shortcomings/features I wanted/design decisions I don't like on the 3 that haven't been addressed.)
So, for me, take about $37,300 (not including tax and license but already including delivery) minus $7,500 Federal tax credit --> just under $30K for a Premier trim w/DC FC inlet, driver confidence II and infotainment package (better stereo + some other stuff). My Bolt's silver (my 1st color choice), so there's no extra charge for that. This was at end of Jan 2019 when tax credit on GM vehicles was still $7500 and there was NO SR nor SR+ 3 yet.

MR 3 w/forced $5K premium package was the cheapest possible. I had no idea when the SR would show up (they still haven't shipped any NOW as far as we can tell) and had no idea an SR+ was going to be made available to order a month later. SR was supposed to originally be available to order in November 2017 (Model 3 Reservations FAQ).

So, if my MR price is right (Tesla reduces prices in the US as tax credit starts to phase out, Model 3 now starts at $44,000) at $44K + $2K for white (since I don't buy black cars) + $1.2K delivery minus $3.75K tax credit --> 43.45K. And, sales tax is obviously much higher on the latter. And, Tesla stopped offering an acceptable (to me) silver "metallic silver". The "silver" they offer is a dark grey to my eye and is a color I avoid. (At my work, we have 3's of virtually every single color they offered, including discontinued metallic silver.)

And, I've said before elsewhere I wasn't keen on paying for more battery than I want nor did I want to pay $5K for a premium package with a glass roof that I don't want (reasons already given). I wanted to start from $35K and add what I wanted. And, the 3 lacks numerous features I do want and use now w/my Bolt and my Leaf. And, this is besides other issues I have with the 3 which I I'll detail later.

Towards the end of March, I found out about some incredible deals on the other side of the country (e.g. How to Sell my '17 Bolt quickly (or trade to '19) - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum and How to Sell my '17 Bolt quickly (or trade to '19) - Page 4 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum). The deals were ~$10K below MSRP before Federal tax credit and any sort of local/state incentives. I checked Criswell's web site, at the time. (What's at 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV Vehicles for Sale in Gaithersburg, MD - Criswell Chevrolet is no longer as good as before, esp. given that tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is became only $3750, which happened on 4/1/2019.)

Yes, the US Supercharger network is excellent and unmatched by anyone else. SAE Combo deployment is lame and haphazard in comparison. Yes, Model 3 DC FCing speeds are much better than Bolt. And, yes the 3 would be ok as a road trip vehicle while the Bolt would be marginal to not good, at best. The last time I went on a road trip in my ICEV was in June 2017.

Yes, the 3 is faster in acceleration, handles better and has a much better quality interior, but those don't matter enough to me to pay a big price premium coupled w/other downsides/things I don't want.

Last edited:
How is the roof glass attached to the frame of the car? Is it some type of epoxy/sealant?

I installed the Model 3 noise reduction kit recently (basically just a big rubber band that fits into the gap around the front roof glass and noticed after few days later, that on one edge, the rubber gasket appeared to be "digging in" under the glass. I'm hoping there's no damage to its waterproofing/etc. I attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any info provided!
IMG_7095.jpeg

Anyone had to have the top roof glass section replaced and willing to share the cost?

Rock hit mine today and cracked it. Will check into a repair, but feeling like it will need to be replaced.

New cars are damage magnets, but I've never had so many things happen to a new car. :confused:
Just got an estimate for $1,212.39 (from Tesla Service Center, in CA).

Same here, $1200, and I am curious what happens with the glass when it gets wet? Does it still turn the water red like the rear glass piece will continue to do or does it have the new coating? Do they have two part numbers based on the coating your glass has?

Also, lots of people complain about wind noise, but my car is DEAD SILENT (except tires) and I would HATE to drive out of the service area and start hearing wind noise. Is there some guarantee if I don't like the glass?

Ok, so $1300 in Berkeley, CA (covered) but they claim to no longer make the original color roof glass, only the new one that doesn't interact with moisture, so now the back glass is still like that but the roof glass is just black. Not pleased...

8143BCA3-C043-44D7-8AC8-0D10903B8F92_1_105_c.jpeg

"For another $800 we can replace the back window as well"