Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of model s charge port replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not be concerned if one should get newest part but to be sure the connector does fit. And this is not the charge port, it’s just the inlet cover. But I presume this is what you are after about.
In previous posts was asked if new, motorised charge port will fit? I can say yes, on my 2016 (assembly started late 2015) Model S was it changed at SeC. So might not be a DIY job.

Anyone know the torx size to remove the hv connectors. My charge port is starting to fail. Multiple clicks before it will pull the pin. This morning it took 20 seconds to unlock the pin and no light ring for the first time.

I bought a brand new spare on ebay last year.

Also, does anyone know if the charge port needs a firmware update to be functional? Headed to service tomorrow to upgrade MCU2 and wondering if I'll need to make sure to have enough charge to get there in one shot before replacing my port tonight.

Also, does anyone know if the charge port needs a firmware update to be functional? Headed to service tomorrow to upgrade MCU2 and wondering if I'll need to make sure to have enough charge to get there in one shot before replacing my port tonight.
It prob needs a flash so your best bet would be to fix it then go to service they will reflash the whole system when they install the MCU2. But if you install it after the fact and it comes up with errors tell the SC they broke it when they did the MCU2 install :p

Reactions: rickyjb
It prob needs a flash so your best bet would be to fix it then go to service they will reflash the whole system when they install the MCU2. But if you install it after the fact and it comes up with errors tell the SC they broke it when they did the MCU2 install :p

So I replace it and it said "car needs software update" "car cannot be driven". I don't have enough charge to make it to the service center. I tried to charge it before replacing it and it wouldn't pull the pin and doing it manually doesn't work either. So I put the new port in and got the errors.

I just put the old port back in and the errors are gone and I can drive it but I'm about 5% too little even if I go really really slow.

Out of warranty charge port replacement at Tesla cost me $199 72 hours ago.

Jesus, is it just more expensive in Canada?

I had a few issues with my 2012 out of warranty Signature Model S P85

They charged $175 flat rate just to acknowledge any issue, whether they found anything wrong or not. So it was nearly 1K just for that. The repair prices were also astronimical, I replaced a rear door handle (it wouldn't come out to open the door from the outside) and I stiff steering for 1K. So 2K in total with the diagnostics for just a door handle and a stuff steering. If I wanted to replace the sunroof (motor failed) and chargeport, the repairs would have been around 7.3K.

In fact, doing the math alone. The only issue I had with the chargeport is that I had to manually open it because the door (non-motorized was broken). This is estimate I got for the chargeport. Was like $1600 CAD or something just so I can open the door. I said forget that. Should I try another service center if you guys are getting prices in the $200 range?

Chargeport.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
As mine was under vehicle warranty I can’t help with the price here in EU, but I do remember it was around €750 + service hourly rate €140. Mine also included new door as it was change to motorised version. Tax rate is 21% here which comes on top of it.
But as yours is just the door failure you actually can change it, just the charge port door. If you search here you will find one discussion about broken door change where is useful information how to change it at home. I do believe you can purchase suitable door in Canada, I was able to get it from the SeC desk.

edit:
found this post: Charge port door sensor fault

Last edited:
So the new port started doing the same thing. I finally realized it's a door thing. After door opens, if I tug it further back towards the tail light, the charge port pin unlocks and the light turns on immediately. It was working fine after the port replacement for a while but I'm guessing that the change in alignment was bypassing whatever door issue was happening. Now it's back.

So the new port started doing the same thing. I finally realized it's a door thing. After door opens, if I tug it further back towards the tail light, the charge port pin unlocks and the light turns on immediately. It was working fine after the port replacement for a while but I'm guessing that the change in alignment was bypassing whatever door issue was happening. Now it's back.

That's roughly what would happen to mine when it first started. Towards the end, it would fully open, then take 2-3 seconds for the white light to go on (enough time for me to sit there and wonder why it's taking so long). At first, it wouldn't fully extend, then transitioned to fully extend but the delay, and then delay with charge port fault warning when I was done charging to not closing when I was done charging.

Until the white light came on, I couldn't insert the charge wand. And now that I think about it, I'd periodically have to click a few times to disengage the charge wand (go from green to white, or blue to white)

If you did get your charge port replaced, then it should be covered under warranty. When I got mine changed out, the Tesla service technician stated that it was the last one they had (so the sensor was good) but they weren't happy with how the door was operating as it would "stick"

I asked about using graphite or other lube, and was told because it would still be under warranty, they'd replace it when the new part came in. See them on March 12th.

I have seen this odd discussion here before, that for one weird reason the US port has that separate LED ring. This port on EU models do have LED indications but it’s only on one side, so like a section of the ring. And if it was changed on mine I can’t remember seen two item lines for the port - LED section and charge port on the quote file...

Anyone know the torx size to remove the hv connectors. My charge port is starting to fail. Multiple clicks before it will pull the pin. This morning it took 20 seconds to unlock the pin and no light ring for the first time.

I bought a brand new spare on ebay last year.
Hey. Sorka. What it tool size for remove to cables. E? E torx size. 6 lobe socket but don't exact size. Where to buy if not at Amazon?