Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of new rear/top glass replacement

interbear

May 27, 2019
Monmouthshire, UK
Is it not a ‘rear windscreen’ ? I’ve always called them the front and rear windscreens... and the rear windscreen heater / defogger thing :D

You may be right. I’m honestly not sure but now you mention it I probably use the same terminology. Including heater/defogger thing :) I was thinking of it more as a glass roof than a windscreen. Although the only opinion that counts is the insurance company.

Reactions: M3-Newbie

M3-Newbie

Jun 28, 2020
Scotland
Update:

Very helpful chat with both my insurer and Autoglass.

Local Autoglass have them in stock and can replace tomorrow - a 90min 2-person job.
And I only have to pay my £50 windscreen excess (phew).

phew brilliant and good to know moving forwards although I hope to never be in that position! Glad you got sorted :)

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
For reference: for those that can’t use insurance

£664.90 through Tesla Edinburgh back in July (who outsource to AutoGlass)

£643.59 Direct with AutoGlass

philgods

Jan 4, 2020
Stockton
Did you get it done - all ok ?

Great job to be honest. And it's probably better aligned now than the original one!
Before and after photos...

Attachments

• 20200914_080424.jpg
    20200914_080424.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200914_110432.jpg
    20200914_110432.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: LongRanger

Jamin

Jun 26, 2020
kent
I had the roof glass replaced at Dartford while I waited (3 hours), pleased with the work, not so pleased with the price as unfortunately not covered by windscreen insurance, final cost £1200
The very next day some children were standing on an overhead bridge and threw something off as I drove under, fortunately it landed just in front of me and missed the car.

Rob68

Aug 29, 2019
Derbyshire
I had mine replaced as it developed a crack of it's own, there was a fault with an early batch of UK Model 3s. At one point they tried to invoice me £290 to remove and replace, but it's not very clear if that was just labour or also parts. Needless I didn't pay, it was a warrenty fault.
Now, when you say 'my fault', go on, tell us :)
I bought my model 3 in Aug 2019, just seen a crack in back roof panel from the back halfway up. No sign of impact. Any articles I could referenced on the issue you mention?

Rob68

Aug 29, 2019
Derbyshire
Good to know I've just seen a crack on mine at the base that seems to have come from nowhere. I'll try the warrant route. I assume you just raised a service request and went from there.
Ive just noticed one at the base of my back roof panel to about halfway up. How did you get on?

mrmr37

Aug 29, 2019
England
Ive just noticed one at the base of my back roof panel to about halfway up. How did you get on?
I spotted a tiny crack within my rear glass right at the base, tucked inside the black trim around the edge. I only noticed it after investigating when the heating element in the glass stopped working (passed right through the crack). Booked it in on the app, quoted £400ish for a replacement but when I dropped it off and they looked at it, saw no signs of impact, and said it'd be covered under warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 4

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC