Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of opti-coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are in the SF Bay Area---home of 'prices slightly higher west of the Rockies'. That said, you need to divide the OptiCoat process into 2 parts: paint preparation and the coating. Even factory fresh Model X and S have defects, often caused by the pre-delivery detailing that the TM folks insist on doing (....or you can sign a waiver at before delivery and take your chances). The skill, labor and time involved in carefully getting out the scratches, rubs, holograms, embedded foreign mater is what costs $$. You don't want to apply a sealant/coating over improperly prepped paint. You can figure maybe a day of prep, and from $500-800 and up based on size of vehicle and paint condition. Then there is the coating (OptiCoat), which costs $$ to buy and takes skill to apply. Figure another $500-600 or so. So your quote is fair. But certainly shop the deal. Get references from owners, and look at the work performed. You might pay more with some pros, but on a $100,000-$150,000 vehicle, it might just be worth it.

FWIW my pro is Joe at OCDetailing (now in Fremont--http://www.bayareadetails.com/) who did my 2013 S85 (OptiCoat) and more recently my wife's 2015 S70D (cQuartz). Both are daily drivers, both spend the day parked outside, both go to a commercial hand wash weekly, and both look great. He has done maybe 1000 Model S and 200-300 Model X to date (plus lots of exotics). YMMV.

Mine cost a bit more than that. I got Cquartz but had the option of that or Opticoat. JPP indicated Joe at OCD. I used him and am pretty happy. It has been about 8 months and he did a lot of work on the car before putting on the coating. To this day, the car looks spectacular and it pretty easy to maintain. Good luck!

It takes about a half a day of labor to decontaminate the paint. Decontaminate is just another fancy word for "wash, clay, and polish." The product itself isn't rocket science to apply and if you if you have the time and patients you can most definitely to it yourself.

Most places are charging between 800-1200 for labor before materials. 1100 is actually a decent deal if you're living in the Bay Area.

It takes about a half a day of labor to decontaminate the paint. Decontaminate is just another fancy word for "wash, clay, and polish." The product itself isn't rocket science to apply and if you if you have the time and patients you can most definitely to it yourself.

Most places are charging between 800-1200 for labor before materials. 1100 is actually a decent deal if you're living in the Bay Area.

Not sure if the 'average' owner has the skill to carefully polish out the defects, and even in a pro's hands, a half day is probably not enough. We are not talking about 'decontaminating'....

Also, if you decide to try using the consumer version of OptiCoat, there are significant differences. The consumer version is thinner and cooks off slower, to allow for the skill of the novice. OptiCoat Pro is more viscous and cooks off much faster. This allows for a pro to apply more on 'contact surfaces', and they can get a proper coat on within the faster cure time.

again, if you own a $100K+ car, are you willing to save some $$ to DIY??

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't questioning the skill or value, not having a reference point for cost I simply had no idea if $1,100 was about right. Now that I have some points of reference it makes the decision much easier. Appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't questioning the skill or value, not having a reference point for cost I simply had no idea if $1,100 was about right. Now that I have some points of reference it makes the decision much easier. Appreciate all the feedback.

Where you getting your quote from? Looking for wrap and coating myself. OCD is on my shortlist but still looking.

I've been quoted $1300 for the entire outside (all paint surfaces, glass and face of tired) opticoat pro plus used on paint surfaces and opticoats other stuff on the windshield.

Also got quoted $1200 without wheels and glass. Dealer said $1200 should be the lowest price. Typically it's lower if they do less prep work, which is the most important part.

Be sure to verify they are doing pro+ vs just pro.

Prices are in SoCal.

I decided to go with opticoat. I'm not super particular if I get a rock chip here and there. I just want to have maintenance of washing easier. Cost wise $1200 (coat only) vs $5000+ (full wrap + coat) or $2800ish (front wrap + coat).

I just have the standard white. But if I had say a fancier color I probably would have done the front wrap and coat.

For price comparison purposes, we are in the Portland, Oregon area and we charge $1298 for Opti-Coat Pro Plus, and $1098 for Opti-Coat Pro. This includes the required cleaning, decontamination, and one-step polishing but does not include any paint correction of the defects, scratches, orange peel, etc. that member JPP explained very well in his post. (JPP, I could use you on the phones at my shop explaining the OCP+ process!)

Opticoat Pro+ on full exterior (painted surfaces, glass, and trim) is $1200 - $1800 in DC, with the difference being paint correction. Almost all of the shops with whom I spoke advocated doing a full-on, $600 paint correction on my brand-new X, waxing poetic about how poor Tesla finishes are, even new. In my opinion, that is ridiculous. Perhaps some spot correction would be necessary, but it certainly would not involve the amount of labor sufficient to warrant a $600 charge. That is price gouging at its best.

Opticoat Pro+ on full exterior (painted surfaces, glass, and trim) is $1200 - $1800 in DC, with the difference being paint correction. Almost all of the shops with whom I spoke advocated doing a full-on, $600 paint correction on my brand-new X, waxing poetic about how poor Tesla finishes are, even new. In my opinion, that is ridiculous. Perhaps some spot correction would be necessary, but it certainly would not involve the amount of labor sufficient to warrant a $600 charge. That is price gouging at its best.

Have you had a close look at the condition of the TM paint after delivery? Maybe today the new paint shop is turning out perfect finishes, but for sure that was not true in 2013 or 2015 with our 2 S. Bring your X to your favorite detailer under proper lighting and have a close look. Don't be surprised if you see swirls and holograms introduced by the TM delivery detailer. Don't be surprised if you see small inclusions/dust spots. There is a significant degree of skill and experience necessary to be able to see these things and be able to carefully remove and correct them without damaging your clear coat and paint. If you just want to apply a coat/sealant and trap it all in, fine. It's your money and opinion....

I'm getting the car opticoated in CT on Saturday. Detailer is Rich Grasa he has done couple friends Tesla's in the past and the guy is a freaking genius. My MS is opticoated by another detailer (bought car with it done by original owner) and its no way even close to the finish on my friends Tesla.

Impeccable work, 3 years later the cars look like new! If someone wants a quote from him, give him a call at 860-946-7498.

I'll post photos before and after on Saturday

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail