Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of ownership spreadsheet -- need help to find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar conversation. G/F <> Wife but we do share everything including a house, might as well be married.

G/F: I need a car now that we're not going the same direction to work anymore
::hunt for a $3,000 civic for a week::
G/F: Car hunting is stressing me out.
Me: How about I get a Tesla and you keep my other car? (prepare notes for huge fight)
G/F: Ok. Let's get one!

Of course she tried to back out the night before, something to the effect of "I didn't think you'd actually find one in our price range". PSHHHH please. I signed for it the next morning.

Your G/F provided the perfect opportunity for you to get a Tesla! Congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing. Could you also share the spreadsheet?

Best,
Geo.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing. Could you also share the spreadsheet?

Best,
Geo.

Ditto the thanks for the spreadsheet! We are seriously looking at replacing my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot with a new 2016 model, but the lure of a Model X is very strong with me. Not so much for her. I'm not sure I can convince her that a 100% electric fleet would work for us, but I think I can hold out until the X is released. Well, at least if it happens before the end of the year. I can only hope that this conversation will go something like this:

Me: "The new Model X is out now - it is better than the Tesla in almost every way! Want to go look at one with me?"
Her: "Oh really? Didn't you just get a Tesla? What about my Pilot?"
Me: "It wouldn't be for me - it would be for you!"
Her: "Really??? You would do that for me?"
Me: "Of course I would dear! Have you seen my key fob?"

It's doesn't hurt to dream does it?:biggrin:

I love all the spreadsheets floating around doing financial calculations. Unfortunately, no matter how much I try I just cannot come up with a financial justification for spending literally double the cost of any of the alternate vehicles I would look at. I will keep trying though! :)

For me it wasn't trying to say the car I was comparing it against would make complete financial sense, but just that it would be closer than it looks. The purchase price of the Model X I want is 138% more than the purchase price of a Honda Pilot, which would fit our needs regarding people and cargo space. The 8 year TCO however I calculated to be only 30% more. I can stand paying 30% more for such a vastly superior vehicle, but if the TCO was more than double I would have a hard time swallowing that.