TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cost of Owning

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Chronic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Chronic

Chronic Member

Do you mean 4 figure? Just spoke with Direct Line and they quoted £1,431 p.a.

• Like x 1
  2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

New driver, expensive car, in a city.. 5 figure isn't unheard of at all. Basically insurance companies saying 'no chance'.

1431 is less than I would have expected.

3. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Whoo that's cheap!!! Get that quote written down/emailed DL have a habit of quoting higher the second time round.

My first car cost me £1000 to insure 3rd party, and that was a £500 Nissan Micra.

So much for the doomonglers who like to quote every clickbait saying Tesla's are expensive to insure.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I'm US based, in most states we have to pay for tags and/or other fees yearly. Not sure what the UK requires.

5. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

By tags do you mean prepaid toll tags? Most people don't need those.. not that many toll roads.

6. AMC7

AMC7 Member

Wow DL quoted me £1290 with full NCB!!

7. tess19

tess19 Member

Is that for LHD P+?

8. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

Tags in the States are our equivalent of registration and road fund license. The number plate is called a “tag” plate there, and they all have an annual expiry date sticker, which is paid for annually by the owner as a form of road tax.

Sadly, to do this they’ve got to go and see Patty and Selma at the DMV ;)

9. MacJester

MacJester Member

VED is vehicle excise duty - basically the tax for owning a car. I suspect it’s pretty much the same as ‘tags’ in the US.

10. Chronic

Chronic Member

Cool thanks all for your replies. One thing that might be useful is to have a repository of useful spreadsheets, for example a "cost of owning" spreadsheet for the UK.