Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey neighbor ... What I have read the best rate now with SCE is TOU? Correct??

Oh hey neighbor. Yes it is about half the rate of the Tiered plan if you normal electricity usage is over the baseline limit. In our area, the baseline (Tier 1) is at 324 kWh in winter months. I am over that in Dec by 260kWh before I got the Tesla. That means without going to TOU, I will be paying Tier 2 rate for all my Tesla charging at $0.25 per kWh. I have switched to TOU-D-B just before I got the MX, and I set my schedule charge to start at 10pm. So I am now charging at $0.12 per kWh, just under half the rate of the Tier plan.

With PGE you can go to their site and compare rates based on your history.

Years ago there was a chart provided by one member that showed rates for time of day for the year. I will research and post it. I have a copy of it next to me on the wall. (Start/stop times of lowest rate varies per season and on weekends)

Reactions: Lloyd
Any idea how much your bill jumped up since charging at home? Average?

Since September 2013 we charged our Nissan Leaf at home. Since it is a lighter car the efficiency is much better than the Tesla Model S. For the Leaf we averaged about 4.2 miles per Kwhr. For our Tesla we are approximately 3 miles per Kwhr. From there it is just a simple math problem to calculate the cost per mile using your home rates. Then all you need to do is estimate the number of miles you will be recharging each night, or monthly.

We also have a 5 Kw Solar system installed about 14 years ago. Most months we have a small positive or negative bill. However, we just got a bill that is around $100. Turns out that we had a lot of non-sunny days plus using the central heating during the holidays.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
It will be about $.55 kWh for me at home, not sure what superchargers cost but it might be worth hitting them up. Current car gets 34mpg combine. How much more will it be to operate my Tesla than my ICE? Gas is currently about $3.20 a gallon.
Astonished. I googled it and the average electrical rate in Escondido is $0.16 per kWh. Why is yours so so so much higher?

Dangit. That is not good news for me.
Oil Burner have you been to the San Clemente SC yet? I was there the day before it opened but I didn't know about it-- I was walking around the top level parking lot while my wife was shopping, after we ate at Ruby's-- can't believe I didn't see it. We were on our way to Carlsbad. Charged at SJC on the way back without any problems.

It will be about $.55 kWh for me at home, not sure what superchargers cost but it might be worth hitting them up. Current car gets 34mpg combine. How much more will it be to operate my Tesla than my ICE? Gas is currently about $3.20 a gallon.
Our peak rate just an hour or so away from you, with SCE, is 45c a kWh. But about a quarter of that after 10 pm on our plan. And that's when we fill up our Teslas with power.

Oil Burner have you been to the San Clemente SC yet?.
No, don't own a Tesla yet. Sounds nice though with Ruby's right there.

My comment referencing the rumored demise of the SCE domestic rate, was due to the fact that we currently consume about ~8 kW a day baseline. In summer that goes up considerably due to running the AC, and that's where TOU really hits the pocketbook hard. Its cheaper to stay on domestic rate on an annual basis, even after figuring in the cost of nighttime charging for my 43-mile daily commute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
This is the current cost ad it will go up again once we get switched to TOU. House is all electric as gas is not available.

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule DR Total Rates Table.pdf

Charging the car will certainly put my into tier 4, Sure if I switch to the TOU plan specifically for electric the rate would be closer to $.23 but then the rest of my bill just goes up to run the house durring the day so I'm not sure it will actually end up any cheaper or not. perhaps our solar will help but rigt now it barley keeps us within the first tier on most months and we go into the second often.
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

Not sure why the average cost is lower according to google, but it's probably not the average cost for single family homes. Power seems to be ALLOT cheaper if you rent an apartment. Power bills for single family homes can be over $1000 here per month and we will soon be more expensive than Hawaii on average.

So will I be paying about 50% more for electric than gas? Or it won't be that bad?

This is the current cost ad it will go up again once we get switched to TOU. House is all electric as gas is not available.

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule DR Total Rates Table.pdf

Charging the car will certainly put my into tier 4, Sure if I switch to the TOU plan specifically for electric the rate would be closer to $.23 but then the rest of my bill just goes up to run the house durring the day so I'm not sure it will actually end up any cheaper or not. perhaps our solar will help but rigt now it barley keeps us within the first tier on most months and we go into the second often.
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

Not sure why the average cost is lower according to google, but it's probably not the average cost for single family homes. Power seems to be ALLOT cheaper if you rent an apartment. Power bills for single family homes can be over $1000 here per month and we will soon be more expensive than Hawaii on average.

So will I be paying about 50% more for electric than gas? Or it won't be that bad?

WoW. Your rate, both Tiered and ToU, are crazy high. Your super off peak rate of $0.23 is almost the same as my peak rate of $0.25 and almost twice as much as my super off peak of $0.12. And you are like 1.5 hour drive from me.

WoW. Your rate, both Tiered and ToU, are crazy high. Your super off peak rate of $0.23 is almost the same as my peak rate of $0.25 and almost twice as much as my super off peak of $0.12. And you are like 1.5 hour drive from me.
Yep :( and it's not like I get to pick my power company. So, am I screwed or will my fuel cost be similar to gas? With the latest rate hikes I'm wondering if I should still even buy a model 3. It's what I want, but yea I think it will be more expensive than a gas car. Especially once San Diego starts taxing electric vehicles in addition to the high power costs?

If I average 23 and 54 that is 38.5 cents per kw average so that's probably a reasonable figure (unless I get a power wall and charge it up at night to help with AC usage in the summer when it gets over 95 outside we do use the AC).

Anyone know of a good empg vs gas calculator?
best I could find is this one and I used a model s instead of the 3 because there is no option for the 3
Electric Car Calculator

my 80 miles commute (with only 25 miles on the weekends which isn't realistic but doe snot matter for comparison purposes) comes out to $2,273.91 for the S and $2,117.65 for my ford focus I have now. So it appears electric will be roughly the same cost as gas here using the 38.5 cent figure which is probably fair since by charging at night I increase my day time usage costs.

I will be grandfathered into the tiered system for a certain number of years due to adding solar but I do not know how much longer this will last (I forgot). Power might be slightly cheaper if I can stay in tier 3.

I'm also not sure how much superchargers cost but Im guessing prices will be higher than home charging costs.

So I guess I can move forward with getting an M3, but I won't be saving anything over a gas vehicle for sure. I will get carpool lane access though, and less maintenance (but much higher purchase price offsets those)

Last edited:
I'm also not sure how much superchargers cost but Im guessing prices will be higher than home charging costs.

So I guess I can move forward with getting an M3, but I won't be saving anything over a gas vehicle for suree)
Sure you'll save. California superchargers (among the most expensive compared to other states) are only $0.20 kW. Also Ben Sullins lives in your area, he's done the math and the Tesla S is about half of gas to run charging at home (teslanomics.co).

If I average 23 and 54 that is 38.5 cents per kw average so that's probably a reasonable figure (unless I get a power wall and charge it up at night to help with AC usage in the summer when it gets over 95 outside we do use the AC).

If your off hours electric rate is $0.24, than your cost to charge is $0.24 kWh. Why would you average it? Or am I misunderstanding your electric rate?

If your off hours electric rate is $0.24, than your cost to charge is $0.24 kWh. Why would you average it? Or am I misunderstanding your electric rate?
Because my peak TOU nearly doubles what it is now So the car is cheaper to charge but my power bill still goes way up. Right now I have a tiered plan where I pay about $.27 a kWh durring peak hours in the summer and 23 in the winter so long as I stay in tier 1, this would change to $.56 if I switch to the EV plan.

So I just average them since I figure the car would probably be about 1/2 my household power consumption (It would vary depending on time of year and too many other factors such as weather etc since we have solar.) Solar loan is about $250 a month plus I average about $120 a month for power over the year. Without solar I would probably be paying around $600-800 per month at this point without an electric car.

Anyways I think I'm getting off topic so I made a new thread but I would be curious to see what super charge rates are. maybe I should stop by one in my ice to check pricing. I promise to to ICE anyone :)

Because my peak TOU nearly doubles what it is now So the car is cheaper to charge but my power bill still goes way up. Right now I have a tiered plan where I pay about $.27 a kWh durring peak hours in the summer and 23 in the winter so long as I stay in tier 1, this would change to $.56 if I switch to the EV plan.

Well Supercharging is only $.20/kWh so that would be cheaper than charging at home right? So you just have to Supercharge enough to keep your home usage in Tier 1.

We have sdge too. Basically a rip off company. Our bill averaged 500/m without Tesla x. Installed large solar system and last year true up 47.00
I do use a mix of home charging and super charging. Getting my 3 in a couple of weeks so might need to add a few panels.
Sdge does offer an ev bill credit of 200/car
Per year. But I do think super charging rates cheaper than lowest sdge rate.