Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla has never made a profit on a year to year basis (don't think they've even strung 2 profitable months together), isn't anything they charge at superchargers guaranteed not to be a profit center? It's not like the supercharger network is it's own business, the mother ship loses money, hence superchargers aren't a profit center even if they charged $1/kwh.

I have a friend that has a hotel in Oregon on the beach. Nice place called the Windermere. I encouraged him to install some charging for his guests. Following his purchase of equipment and spending the money for installation, he was complaining that Tesla was installing a supercharger right up the street from him. I told him not to worry, and what he found is that even when the supercharger was right up the street, his clients would rather stay with him overnight and charge, rather than charge at the supercharger up the street. He does not charge for the use of his J1772 charging. His fears of having wasted his money were unfounded.

I just changed my plan to "Time of use" and it's .13 but rate is only good from 10 pm -7 am

Sure, but now your light-time rate will go up significantly. What is the tier rate for running ac at mid-day?

(not trying to be argumentative, but trying to understand the benefits of TOU while I wait for my M3. My current SoCalEdison rate for Tier 2 is $0.25. Normal house usage -- refrigerator, TV, lights, etc. -- uses up all of Tier 1 on a typical month, so I'd charge at a quarter, except when ac is running. Max Peak rate is $0.35 (summer ac).

If I'm reading their website correctly, I could drop to 12 cents for ToU, but then peak (daylight hours), jumps to 48 cents.

Sure, but now your light-time rate will go up significantly. What is the tier rate for running ac at mid-day?

(not trying to be argumentative, but trying to understand the benefits of TOU while I wait for my M3. My current SoCalEdison rate for Tier 2 is $0.25. Normal house usage -- refrigerator, TV, lights, etc. -- uses up all of Tier 1 on a typical month, so I'd charge at a quarter, except when ac is running. Max Peak rate is $0.35 (summer ac).

If I'm reading their website correctly, I could drop to 12 cents for ToU, but then peak (daylight hours), jumps to 48 cents.
Yeah I may have to turn my AC breakers off come summer!!:D I have solar and on the SCE site there is a tool to see which plan would work best for you. My home is single story 2 ac units and heaters four people and I have four days remaining in my billing cycle and my bill is $15 and been charging the M3 for 2 weeks. Also as you know we haven't had much sun lately;)