Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Tesla Solar Roof Tiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't the energy density of Tuscan Tile a problem on most houses?
To my way of thinking, in this application, energy density - probably not the most correct term, but usable and understandable, is the least problematic of all the challenges:
  • One has to tile one's entire roof
  • One is most likely to use the same...or same-looking...tiles on the entire roof
  • Most roofs' surface area exposed to the sun, at even low photon capture (i.e., lower efficiency #s), will more than suffice to provide their respective houses' kW needs and their associated Powerwalls' kWh storage demands
As far as Tuscan Tiles specifically, I believe we heard the same thing at the reveal: the curved shape of the tile plus perhaps the unusable portion of each tile does indeed provide it less photon capture than the simply-shaped, flat alternatives they showed. Regardless, the above points do, I think, obviate such concern.

remember, it is the cosine of the angle of incident light, however the sun moves all day and rooftops are "fixed angle" (so far, but who knows, maybe someone will invent a flat, non moving tracker)
(trackers give appx 30% gain, or throw on a few more panels, back in time 40 years ago when PV was really expensive)

There are world Solar angle calculators. to give you an idea of roof/panels/etc.
my ~23 degree angle (rise of 5 in run of 12) is best for summer as I am at ~40 degrees N latitude

An easy rule of thumb for appx 40 degree north or south latitude is subtract ~15 for an optimal tilt of around ~25 degrees to max out summer gain

(the earth tilts +/- ~23.5 degrees effectively as it goes around the sun or around ~47 degrees)
(there are LOTS of books and info over the last 40-50 years)

Solar Angle Calculator
All true, but the lazy like me just use PVwatts.

The other thing nice about the tool is, like all tools, just that. One can always discount for shading, etc. It's a great starting point with a methodology one can dig into if they like.
I've sometimes wondered if people realize that PVwatts gives insolation data upfront and then uses it to calculate PV production.

Regarding shading, the most brilliant (and actually simple once some thought is given to how the magic is performed) nifty tool I have ever seen is the solar pathfinder. People who buy it seem to agree with me because I have never been able to find a used device for sale. I'll have to give some thought to a DIY version since I really only want one for enjoyment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden
Much like Tesla's cars, their roofing, solar, battery microgrids are at least at first upmarket products. Expect them to cost 5X as much as typical asphalt shingle roofing, more than $50,000 and sell for houses that cost more than $500,000.

There are about 5 million new/replacement roof sales per year and Tesla would be interested in taking a large share of the top 10% by price. Half of the the top 10% is still 250,000 a year @ $50,000+ or over $12.5B.

Just saw the roof cost announcement, pretty cool. So he's committing to it being less than a normal roof. Seems like they plan to avoid breakage and they mention weight of shipping. I don't see how shipping the tesla roof will be cheaper but maybe compared to tile or slate.

There are a ton of middlemen in roofing. Manufacturer, high margin sales organization, hugely overpaid sales contractors, contractors. It's a pretty f'ed up supply chain with a lot of waste. Typical roof is sold at 4x what it should be

Reactions: neroden
There are a ton of middlemen in roofing. Manufacturer, high margin sales organization, hugely overpaid sales contractors, contractors. It's a pretty f'ed up supply chain with a lot of waste. Typical roof is sold at 4x what it should be
Have you seen the SolarCity soft cost breakdowns? Not much prettier, though I certainly expect Elon to attack that first thing tomorrow.

Just saw the roof cost announcement, pretty cool. So he's committing to it being less than a normal roof. Seems like they plan to avoid breakage and they mention weight of shipping. I don't see how shipping the tesla roof will be cheaper but maybe compared to tile or slate.

That's pretty clearly what they are comparing. The roofing types they showed like slate and tile already cost 5X+ asphalt shingles. That's what they mean about shipping costs and breakage. Neither are about asphalt shingles...slate and tile are delicate.

He's basically confirming they won't cost MORE than slate...which wasn't implied before when they seemed to subtract the energy savings to be competitive. If they can cost no more than slate or tile, have comparable looks and life and also generate electricity they will dominate the high end of the market.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Ulmo
That's pretty clearly what they are comparing. The roofing types they showed like slate and tile already cost 5X+ asphalt shingles. That's what they mean about shipping costs and breakage. Neither are about asphalt shingles...slate and tile are delicate.

He's basically confirming they won't cost MORE than slate...which wasn't implied before when they seemed to subtract the energy savings to be competitive. If they can cost no more than slate or tile, have comparable looks and life and also generate electricity they will dominate the high end of the market.
I think you're right. That will be the Roadster to Model S ramp up of Tesla Roof.

Then, later, in a few years, they will show their own internal economies of scale, sales and installation efficiencies, and start pairing lower price options with some of the lower end Model S or higher end Model 3 and PowerWall 2.X, and the costs will start to look attractive to some of the higher end Model 3 / lower end Model S buyers that have either an old roof being replaced or a new house going up.

If Tesla Roof keeps their R&D, manufacturing, sales and installation teams going healthy and strong, with good leadership and management, they will have some good competition that helps them expand the new marketplace, but will keep making enough margin themselves to help expand that new marketplace pretty strongly themselves and make income, all the while the price keeps dropping. That is what I'm hoping, anyway.

a bit more technical data on exactly how the roof goes on, electrical connections and such would be appreciated.
Is it perhaps a membrane goes down on roof, then some kind of grid the tiles go in,
how do they couple? is it inductively?
Does each tile have an inverter with MPPT built in?
how do you get the electrons collected?