Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost Review of 12' Model S P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping I could get some advice on the price as well as some measures I could take to ensure the cars condition. The Model S that is being sold by a private seller in my area and further details are below:

- Price: $41,500
- Mileage: 44,300
- No accidents listed on CarFax
- Active Air Suspension
- RWD
- Free Supercharging
- 19 in wheels
- Tech Package
- Owner has only had it since October and is claiming Tesla will not provide service records on the vehicle from the previous owner (Current Owner Purchased it at a dealership)

43615977881.482815255.IM1.MAIN.1000x653_A.1000x653.jpg

43615941344.482815255.IM1.07.360x480_A.640x427.jpg

upload_2018-5-14_9-58-30.png

upload_2018-5-14_9-59-28.png

2012 P85 with 44000 is a good deal at $41,500. I agree with Atlantan. Shame about the Dealership having been involved as a middle-man, as it prevents you from getting the extended warranty. But at this price it's a risk I'd take.

To resolve the discrepancy of the car's year versus the "D" badge, what do the car's displays report? P85? P85D? And how big is the frunk - is it reduced in size due to the presence of a motor? Have you seen the car use free Supercharging? Get the current owner to ask Tesla when the next service is due and which service should be performed and get him to forward the email(s) from Tesla.

About the warranty.... in Europe, the warranty provided by Tesla with CPOs is covered by Allianz and it is now possible to buy the warranty direct from Allianz, regardless of how/where you bought the car (provided the car is not more than 4 years old and under 50K miles) - is something similar possible in the USA?

To resolve the discrepancy of the car's year versus the "D" badge, what do the car's displays report? P85? P85D? And how big is the frunk - is it reduced in size due to the presence of a motor? Have you seen the car use free Supercharging? Get the current owner to ask Tesla when the next service is due and which service should be performed and get him to forward the email(s) from Tesla.

About the warranty.... in Europe, the warranty provided by Tesla with CPOs is covered by Allianz and it is now possible to buy the warranty direct from Allianz, regardless of how/where you bought the car (provided the car is not more than 4 years old and under 50K miles) - is something similar possible in the USA?

FYI, some early D models still had the full size front. They were a bit of an oddity, for sure, but a smaller frunk is not a slam dunk it is not a D.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
i wouldnt run i would just investigate. A lot of people like putting stupid badges on their car.
This. Check it out in person if you can. People removed badges, changed them, etc. A lot of early cars did not get a badge at all, I don't remember if it was a customer decision or if they didn't badge them then.
A decent price, as long as you go into it knowing there's no auto pilot, adaptive cruise, folding mirrors...

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
FYI, some early D models still had the full size front. They were a bit of an oddity, for sure, but a smaller frunk is not a slam dunk it is not a D.
None of the D's had the full size frunk. The 'microwave' area in the back is only in the RWD cars, as that's where the front motor sits. The earlier cars had a larger frunk than the now very small facelift frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
None of the D's had the full size frunk. The 'microwave' area in the back is only in the RWD cars, as that's where the front motor sits. The earlier cars had a larger frunk than the now very small facelift frunk.

True, the "microwave" was absent. I should have been more clear, the "frunk bin" (the big tub) was the same part number. It was a lot nicer to have this big frunk than what they put in later D models.