TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cost to add a 21" wheel set.......

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sorka, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

4 reconditioned wheels (21" dark charcoal) for $940 shipped.

4 sensors from Tesla for $200 + $19(tax).

4 Pilot Super Sports $1254 shipped.

Mount and balance $60

Total $2473 out the door vs $6000 from Tesla site.

The big unknown here and the gamble is believing the wheel company that the only damage that has been repaired is minor cosmetic and not previously bent.

• Like x 2
  2. Skateboardgolf

Whoah! That's a deal! Let me know how that works out. Debating whether to de-stagger my P85+ by purchasing two 245 21" rims for the rear.

Also, I've read great reviews on Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 tires - could save you $400 or $500 over the Pilot Super Sports.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/34238-Anyone-try-Hankook-Ventus-V12-in-275-30-21-yet-on-P85-rear

3. DougH

DougH Active Member

Not bad.

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Wheel repair won't cost $3500. Done it many times. Sometimes more than once to the same wheel.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

I'm more concerned with the possibility of an unknown wheel repair causing a total wheel collapse and an accident but I think the odds of that happening are probably very very tiny.

- - - Updated - - -

That would save another $440 on the set of tires. I was trying to stick with OE tires and the Pilot Super Sports have super good reviews.

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Should inspect them for cracks and tool marks. The machine that straightens the wheels without refinishing the whole thing WILL leave tool marks.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Good to know. I will check them out as carefully as I can.

- - - Updated - - -

So it does seem this tire is well liked. I'm just wondering if it's liked for the price or despite the price? That would make the entire setup about $2000 out the door.

I picked up the sensors from Fremont today. The wheels should be shipped in a few days. I have yet to order the tires.

8. luvnMyTS

luvnMyTS Member

I have custom wheels with the Hankooks on my car. P90D. Not an ounce of tire slippage when launching. Difference is, they are about $880 per set versus stock tires at closer to $2,000 per set. Being that they don't slip on launches, they do everything I need a tire to do. Can't imagine wasting $1,200 more dollars on a different set of tires that have a different name on them and do the same exact thing. With the Tesla being such a heavy car, performance tires suffer badly and that's why they wear out so quickly. They're really designed for 3,000 pound performance cars, not 5,000 boats like the Tesla!

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Which stock tires are $2000 / set????

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

So add $68 for center caps directly from Tesla.

12. Skateboardgolf

Last May, I paid $983 to have Tesla replace the Michelin PS2 265/35R21 rear tires on my 2014 P85+.
    Base price, $440.00 apiece, plus tax.

I promise you, my next set of tires will be Hankooks.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Not the same comparison. It was in response to:

"Difference is, they are about $880 per set versus stock tires at closer to $2,000 per set. "

$880 for the Ventu's from tire rack is not the same things as paying full list price from the dealer. The proper comparison would have been

Pilot Sports = $1254 shipped + $60 installation
    Ventus = $796 shipped + $60 installation

For what you did, I would have paid $687 out the door.

14. sorka

sorka Active Member

Bought the Continental ExtremeContact DW from tire rack for $996 delivered.

I realized I titled this thread as cost to upgrade but the tires can't really be considered in that since I'd have to buy new tires anyways and I'll end up using the tread on both sets, so the cost to upgrade is the cost of the wheels, sensors, and center caps. The cost to install the tires and use the tires would have been incurred anyways. Although there is a higher cost to running tires that wear quicker.

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

#15 sorka, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    The center caps turned out to only be $20 for a set of 4 if you walk into the service center and buy them there.

So the wheels came. Two of them had cosmetic issues requiring to be refinished. The same two wheels were outside of the runout limit as well. The seller paid for shipping both ways. Given I only paid $235 / wheel shipped, they must have lost a fortune on the shipping.

I received two more wheels after they got mine back and they were straight and the finish was good. The center caps were also a perfect color match so this refurbisher really had the color spot on.

Unfortunately, the place I chose to install the tires scratched the outside edge of every single wheel. Two of the wheels only had minor scratches. The third, some areas with chipped paint on the edge. The fourth (pictured below) had a major event that removed the paint on the edge about 6" in length. The installer didn't adjust the guide bar far enough away to account for the stiffness of the sidewall which resulted in head drag damaging all 4 wheels. You can't see the damage straight on but only from the side.

The installer used 3rd party claims adjuster. Since I'd taken pictures and have dash cam audio of one of the employees acknowledging that here was no damage prior, they really had no other choice and they honored the claim.

Now for the crazy part. The quotes I got to refinish the wheels (strip, repaint, and clear with powder) ranged from $130 to $150 per wheel. But the claims company sent me a check for $1000 because they said that is their standard cosmetic settlement for wheel damage. So essentially $400 more than it would cost to fix.

I also had bought the touchup paint when I got the center caps. Just for kicks, I decided to see if I could cover up the edge damage in a way that would be satisfactory.

Photo of the worst of the damage before:

20160303_133710.jpg

And after:

20160303_134321.jpg

So now I'm debating whether to actually fix these now or bank the settlement for actual curb rash should that happen in the future.

If I bank it, the cost to upgrade to these while keeping my 19" wheels was about $200. The rubber doesn't count since I'd have to buy that anyways. The tire wear rating isn't as good but the cost of the stock Continentals was $50 less per tire than the 19" Primacy's so it's about a wash.

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Full view of one of the wheels:

20160303_144707.jpg

17. kp.sfo

kp.sfo Member

Care to share where you got the wheels from? This is by far the lowest I've seen.

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

This was the listing:

98727 Reconditioned 2012 2013 Tesla s Wheel Rim 21x8 5 Dark Charcoal Painted | eBay

It only had 3 listed and I messaged them and asked if they could get a fourth which they replied yes. Oddly the auction doesn't show best price accepted any more but they told me they'd go down to 235 and I submitted an offer for 940.

This is the only listing they have currently for the 21x8.5 wheel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381557770134

But I suspect they can get as many as you want as they process cores and refinish them. This one shows $248 with a make offer option so they'd certainly accept $235 for this too....or even lower :)

19. kp.sfo

kp.sfo Member

Thanks sorka, appreciate it!