Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to charge at home in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge my 2014 Model S 85 in my garage at our condo through a 110 outlet. I’m retired so trickle charge is fine for me. My condo association wants to put a parking space outside for electric vehicles to charge. How do I show them how much it costs to charge my car? There is no separate meter for my garage. The homeowners association pays electricity for all garage electricity. They think my car charging is costing everyone more money.

I'd park in the garage and tell them to leave me alone, I only charge at superchargers. Here in NJ it costs .16 cents a kwh (delivered). I can only assume its less money down in FL, as NJ has some high energy costs. 85 x .16 = $13.60 (0% to 100%).

I charge my 2014 Model S 85 in my garage at our condo through a 110 outlet. I’m retired so trickle charge is fine for me. My condo association wants to put a parking space outside for electric vehicles to charge. How do I show them how much it costs to charge my car? There is no separate meter for my garage. The homeowners association pays electricity for all garage electricity. They think my car charging is costing everyone more money.
the costs are minimal I believe beaches energy charges .11 per kwh. you could call beaches energy and they might be able to help you estimate approximate costs. I have 240 service, drive 1k miles a month and I think it adds maybe 20-30 a month to my bill.
FWIW. the marriott on the beach has a tesla charger, and the whole foods has a free charger

The cost of charging a Tesla—and how it compares to gas vehicles.
  • The Tesla Model X costs about $15.29 to fully charge, which comes out to about 4.5 cents per mile.
  • It will cost around $7.65 to charge a Tesla Model 3. Depending on the variant, this is between 3 and 4 cents per mile.
  • If you own a Tesla Model S, you can expect to pay about 3.7 per mile. A full charge will cost $15.29 total.
  • The cost to charge a Tesla Model Y is about $11.47 cents, or 4.7 cents per mile.
  • The cost to operate an electric vehicle is substantially lower than the cost of a conventional gas powered car, and it can be even cheaper when you charge your EV with solar panels.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
It's very important to get a sample bill from someone in your same billing area with your same electrical provider. Others are just data points for you. Here is my Duke Energy costs from Saint Petersburg, FL. If you also have Duke Energy in Jax, it's likely close but may not be the same.

CUSTOMER CHARGE ENERGY CHARGE - $11.40 per month then..
ENERGY CHARGE
FIRST 1000 KWH @ 8.144c
ABOVE 1000 KWH @ 9.859c
FUEL CHARGE
FIRST 1000 KWH @ 2.811c
ABOVE 1000 KWH @ 3.811c
ASSET SECURITIZATION CHARGE
PER KWH @ 0.251c

Below 1000KWH, my price is 11.206c and then it's 13.921c after that.

If you are looking for generalities for your HOA, a Model S is 100KWH so it's $11.206 to completely fill up a Model S from dead using the first 1000KWH number (ignoring charging loss) and $13.92 after. I would probably give them a general cost around 8 bucks for a 20-80% "fill-up".

I didn't know whether or not to post this....but If they want worst case number and they have a wall charger installed, that's 48A x 240V x 24 hours which is 276 KWH per day. Multiple that by 31 days and you get ~8500 KWHr consumed. 8500KWhr for me in Saint Petersburg is $11.206 + 7500*.13921 = ~$1000. Note this will NEVER happen but it's the absolute worse case if people are lining up day and night and immediately go from one car to the next, which won't happen at night. On the flip side, it does not include charging inefficiencies. They could always turn down the max amp from 48A to limit their exposure until they get a feel for it (move it to 24A and you'll have a $500 exposure, etc).

Two more things.
First, I heard the gen 3 wall chargers with wifi will be getting some sort of billing capability in the future. They've been out for over a year already so I wouldn't hold my breath but that would be perfect for places like your condo. Then they could charge back.
Second, there's a good chance Tesla will give wall chargers to them. Please see Charging Partners | Tesla....

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
[EDIT]Just reread and see the comment that your condo thinks you are increasing their costs. Keep it simple in that case. If you drive 1000 miles per month, and you have a 2014 S85 which is rated at 300 miles. We'll keep it very basic (no battery degradation, no inflated EPA mileage, no charging inefficiencies, no vampire loss, etc). 1000 miles would be 3.3 complete 0-100% charges or 85 x 3 = 255KWh. That's $.11206 x 255 or $28/mo.

Find out what your condo’s energy provider charges per kWh (kilowatt hour).

From there, you can determine determine how many kWh you consume daily or weekly on average.

For example - Georgia Power charges $0.09 per kWh. If I drive 60 miles per day and replenish the 60 miles nightly, and my average consumption is 300 Wh/mile, then my daily consumption for 60 miles is 18 kWh. Multiply 18 by 10% for charging losses and that results in 19.8 kWh per day.

19.8 kWh X $0.09/kWh = $1.78 per day.

Get one of these power meters, plug your mobile connector through it. Input their cost per kWh, and this will tell them exactly how much it took to charge your car, over a period of time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...2&pd_rd_w=bgjMf&pd_rd_wg=cLDSl&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Once you figure it out and don't need it for your car anymore, you'll find yourself figuring out how much electricity your fridge uses, your TV, ...

I live at a condo in SW Florida and our utility is Florida Power & Light (FPL). Last month we used 635 kWh and after taxes paid $64.18 for a rate of 10.1 cents/kWh. That includes fuel & non-fuel charges. I installed EV source equipment (aka charger) at an electrical distribution panel within range of my Mobile Connector. As an engineer, It was a DIY, but for short money you could hire an electrician. Install a small power meter ($25), 50A circuit breaker box ($28), nema 14-50 receptacle box ($36) plus #6 copper wire/plastic conduit. I pay the condo association for electricity used.

If another EV owner wanted to use it, I’m sure we could handle the finances. But if there were more than 3 users, it would be too complicated. ChargePoint and possibly others can install a direct billing charger at your condo, but they want $240/mo for 7 years or about $7K up-front. That’s much too expensive. Tesla is developing direct billing software for its $500 Wall Connector, but no date on availability. Florida state law requires HOAs to allow you to install a charger at your parking space and pay for electricity used. This law should be amended to select charger parking space closest to electrical distribution so install cost is minimized. Otherwise, law has very little value because install cost may be prohibitive.

I tell my condo friends it cost about the same as baking a cake. COA r trouble. Good luck on this fight.
Run extension cord in the condo, see how much your bill goes up.
By the way, if u r ever in st Augustine? There r a lot of free chargers. 220v.

Sounds like the condo wants him to stop charging in the garage and that they will install a specific spot for (one) electric car.

If so this isn't likely going to work out well. I'd expect there will be more than one person wanting to use it. It's outside instead of inside where it's secured. I can also see them making it pay per use so he's not getting the "free" anymore.

They think my car charging is costing everyone more money.

They are absolutely right! Any charging you do is definitely costing everyone more money, but just a tiny bit. Assuming you use that 120V outlet 24 hours a day for 30 days at 0.11/kwh, the total cost would be (120*12*24*30/1000)kwh = 1036.8 times 0.11, or $114. Clearly you aren't charging 24x7, although if you leave your car plugged in all the time(and not charging), some nosy neighbor will doubtless complain that you are 'always' plugged in.

The cost just to install an outdoor, plain, unmonitored(unbilled) plug will likely be $2k or more.

I'd offer to hand the HOA a check for some small fraction of $114 a month, either a flat fee or a (miles-driven times multiplier). Both have their drawbacks of overpayment or underpayment, like if you go on a trip and supercharge, or if you go on a fly-away vacation and don't charge at all.

The cost of charging a Tesla—and how it compares to gas vehicles.
  • The Tesla Model X costs about $15.29 to fully charge, which comes out to about 4.5 cents per mile.
  • It will cost around $7.65 to charge a Tesla Model 3. Depending on the variant, this is between 3 and 4 cents per mile.
  • If you own a Tesla Model S, you can expect to pay about 3.7 per mile. A full charge will cost $15.29 total.
  • The cost to charge a Tesla Model Y is about $11.47 cents, or 4.7 cents per mile.
  • The cost to operate an electric vehicle is substantially lower than the cost of a conventional gas powered car, and it can be even cheaper when you charge your EV with solar panels.
Explain to my how a Model S costs more per mile to charge than a Model Y. A Model Y is more efficient and therefore will cost less per mile than a Model Y. I would live to see your math...

Jealosy is a strong emotion. Other residents will feel offended if they need to pay you for your charging, while also needing to pay for their own gasoline.

This is understandable, and your association should find a way to make it equitable.

Perhaps a simple meter like this would be all that is needed for you to reimburse your HOA for the cost of charging your car.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MDBU?pf_rd_r=DRYS1402FT4F2D33G10P&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=18497674-e08b-48f0-b3cc-5e723ee4b192&pd_rd_w=bgjMf&pd_rd_wg=cLDSl&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Their alternative, to install an outdoor charging space, is more costly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Then the article is so... wrong!!!

My 2020 AWD LR Model Y has a range of 316 miles on a 74 Kw battery (74,000 Watt). 74,000 watts divided by 316 miles is an average of 234.2 Wh/mile. On some of my highway trips (staying at a speed limit of 65 mph) I average 266 Wh/per mile. Which is even a greater total range.

If you have a Model S that has a range of 390 miles with a 100 Kw battery that is 390 Wh/mile. If you divide 266 by 390 you get 68%. It cost 68% as much per mile to drive a Model Y as a Model S. So, for every $1.00 of electricity the Model S uses the Model Y will only use $0.68...

Someone who wrote the article needs to go back to school....

If you drive a Model Y 10 miles per day without Jackrabbit starts, you would use 2,660 watts (or 2.66 Kw) with your electric cost being about $0.10/KwH you would be at about $0.26 per day. Since the charge system is only about 90% efficient, you would be at about $0.29/day or $3.00/month.... This would not take into account power used if you pre-heat or cool the car, or sit in it playing games...

Last edited: