Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cost to drive a luxury EV, such as a Taycan, Tesla Model S or X or Jaguar I-Pace, is $15.52 - 100 miles - Detroit free press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USA Today
DETROIT FREE PRESS
11:07 am EDT Oct. 23, 2021

“For luxury cars that get 26 miles per gallon and use premium gas at $3.25 a gallon, the cost to drive an internal combustion car 100 miles is $12.60. The cost to drive a luxury EV, such as a Taycan, Tesla Model S or X or Jaguar I-Pace, is $15.52 to travel 100 miles. That is using mostly commercial chargers. ”

Of course they compared with this stupid study using only commercial chargers and not your residential charger to make their point!

Reactions: GTi_roadkill
I read that article yesterday. It’s an infuriating hack piece.

$15 per 100 miles? $1600 for a L2 charger at home? Insane.

Even if you supercharged exclusively at $0.35/kWh, that’s only ten bucks or so per 100 miles. My cost charging at home is sub-$4, even at CA electricity costs.

“Detroit Free Press” is about all you need to know about that article.

USA Today
DETROIT FREE PRESS
11:07 am EDT Oct. 23, 2021

“For luxury cars that get 26 miles per gallon and use premium gas at $3.25 a gallon, the cost to drive an internal combustion car 100 miles is $12.60. The cost to drive a luxury EV, such as a Taycan, Tesla Model S or X or Jaguar I-Pace, is $15.52 to travel 100 miles. That is using mostly commercial chargers. ”

Of course they compared with this stupid study using only commercial chargers and not your residential charger to make their point!

It's interesting how the mentality of needing to go somewhere to "fill up" comes through in articles like this. Rarely is it called out that even disregarding the cost comparison, having your own "pump" at home and always having a fueled up vehicle is such a time and stress saver.